Sephoraadmin

EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

[ Edited ]

This thread is now closed. Thank you for everyone who participated! If your question did not get answered, Ole and Dr. Gross will do their best to post more responses later in the week. Also to those who asked questions, look out for a little gift of appreciation from the brands!

Beautiful skin is just a question away.  Visit this thread on January 25 between 12pm-3pm PST to participate in our live skincare Q&A with leading New York City dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross and celebrity skincare expert Ole Henriksen. Ask them anything—from how to manage acne to which moisturizer is best for your skin type. On January 25, ask your questions in the thread below and our experts will answer them, in real-time. 

Be sure to "subscribe" to this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered. (Check the “Subscriptions" box on the right side of the post page).

Ole H.jpg

Ole Henriksen: 12 – 1:30pm PST
Learn more about Ole Henriksen> http://seph.me/zWdGd6           

Dr. Gross.jpg 

Dr. Dennis Gross: 1:30-3:00pm PST

Learn more about  Dr. Dennis Gross> http://seph.me/xLRvIB

neeharika

Re: EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

(0) Hearts

What ingrediants should I look in for an Eye cream to reduce dark circles?

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

neeharika wrote:

What ingrediants should I look in for an Eye cream to reduce dark circles?

Hi neeharika,

Building collagen will help to strengthen blood vessels around the eyes, preventing their breakage and. Vitamin D and K can help protect them from breaking in the first place and heal them once they do. Applying creams that contain vitamin K and D, as well as including it as part of a balanced diet, will be the successful.  
Vitamin D is an important anti-oxidant from nature that is necessary for one’s overall hearth and stimulates the building of collagen when applied on the under eye area. Try the Active Vitamin D Serum OIl-Vitamin D replenishes the skin with moisture, boasts elasticity, and creates luminosity.

For patients who are particularly concerned with dark circles, I also recommended looking for products with Arbutin(lightens dark circles), Chrysin (de-puffs), and cucumber extract (soothing).

~Dr. Dennis Gross

selariza

(0) Hearts

I gave birth 2 months ago, and I have patches of cloth in the face. As the product or how I fight. I have 32 years marks, acne and sensitive skin.

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

selariza wrote:

I gave birth 2 months ago, and I have patches of cloth in the face. As the product or how I fight. I have 32 years marks, acne and sensitive skin.

I recommend using the Alpha Beta® Peel daily to improve complexion overall. It microexfoliates dead skin cells, boosts collagen production, and clears out pores.

In my practice, I would say that 50% of men and women suffer from adult acne while women may be more prone to scarring.  I wanted to provide my patients with a natural solution that worked-so I formulated Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion.

I have been thrilled with the results – 4 out of 5 patients tested reported immediate results in 24 hours.  Trifix will treat acne, heals blemishes, repairs scarring and reduce redness.  I formulated it with Bisabolol and marine botanicals so it soothes and protects the skin.  I think it would be a good solution for you.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

Alpha Beta® Peel: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P269122&categoryId=B70

Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P291440&categoryId=B70

bengalibabe

(0) Hearts

What's the best regimen to prevent red spots and in-grown hairs after a wax or threading session?

Thanks!

ctean84

(0) Hearts

Hey I've never posted on here before so I am that I am doing this properly, I am 27 year old who has oily skin. I am in constant battle with chin and nose blackheads, dark circles and a small amount of brown discoloration. I am currently using my clarisonic and trying to find the right skincare regimen for me. Any helpful hints for the blackheads and/or dark circles? Thanks in advanced for your time!

Christina

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

ctean84 wrote:

Hey I've never posted on here before so I am that I am doing this properly, I am 27 year old who has oily skin. I am in constant battle with chin and nose blackheads, dark circles and a small amount of brown discoloration. I am currently using my clarisonic and trying to find the right skincare regimen for me. Any helpful hints for the blackheads and/or dark circles? Thanks in advanced for your time!

Christina

Dear Christina,

Kudos for using the clarisonic! I really feel that it's a great tool to deep cleanse and care for your skin. When it comes to blackheads, I recommend that you use a physical exfoliant like my walnut complexion scrub 2-3X/week. Try adding about a little sesame oil to the scrub in your hand. This may sound counterintuitive, but the oil mixed with the scrub will help break up the oil that is stuck in your pores causing the black heads. You'll see that over time, when you faithfully scrub your chin and nose, the blackheads will disappear. I have seen results occur as soon as a week into scrubbing regularly. The key is consistency. The cleaner your pores are, the less visible they appear.

Dark circles can be caused by poor circulation, diet, or they could very well be hereditary. In treating dark circles, it's very important to use products that increase the circulation and gently exfoliate the eye area. Try using my truth eye peel concentrate with the total truth eye creme on top. These two products contain powerhouse ingredients to increase microcirculation, gently exfoliate and reduce dark circles.

As far as treating the brown discoloration, I would recommend using enlighten me serum every night underneath sheer transformation moisturizer. These two products are a perfect pair to treat dark spots, hyperpigmentation and even skin tone with ingredients like THC, mulberry extract, and lactic acid in enlighten me and sugar / pea extract, and natural fruit acids in sheer transformation, you are sure to see results with consistent use. I also recommend a special treatment 1X/month like the micro / mini peel system. The ingredients in the at-home treatment mimic a microdermabrasion and fruit acid peel. Using this 1X/ month as a special treatment will lighten the discoloration over time.

Cheers,

Ole

switch820

(0) Hearts

I am 19 and I have combination oily skin. I have very large pores on my nose. What would be the best way to control my oil make the pores smaller?

drdennisgross

switch820 wrote:

I am 19 and I have combination oily skin. I have very large pores on my nose. What would be the best way to control my oil make the pores smaller?

I’d recommend the Alpha Beta® Peel to you.  Its excellent for complexion problems and will minimize the appearance of pores & blemishes too.  All Over Blemish Solution is another excellent option for you.  It’s a pore minimize for sensitive skin and a salicilyc acid acne treatment gel.  It eliminates and prevents blackheads, which seem to be a main concern for you, and also controls oil and shine.

Dr. Dennis Gross

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P158531&categoryId=5668

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42787&categoryId=5668

katysr

(0) Hearts

I am 17 years old and for the past 3 years have been experiencing what i think is teenage acne. I breakout only in the t-zone, no where else on my body and the bumps go out, as upposed to the deep pimples, which leads me to believe it is surface acne, but im not sure. What is a good skincare solution to clear my skin. As well, does the food you eat really make your skin break out? And finally, I have tried both Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer and Clinique acne solutions concealer and have found that neither have helped my skin. I believe the estee lauder was making it worse so i changed, but the clinique which is suppose to have salicylic acid in it is not helping? Any solutions or products i could try that would actually help with healing acne and preventing it?

anyssamadison

(0) Hearts

how do you get rid of problem blackheads & closed comdomes (whiteheads) that contiue to come back and wont go away ?

my skins breaking out furiously in the white bumps, and they wont go away. I do everything i can, including toning and exfoliating, but at the sametime im drying out my skin, since i cant moisturize without cloggin my pores, since i hav oily skin :smileysad: help !!!

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

anyssamadison wrote:

how do you get rid of problem blackheads & closed comdomes (whiteheads) that contiue to come back and wont go away ?

my skins breaking out furiously in the white bumps, and they wont go away. I do everything i can, including toning and exfoliating, but at the sametime im drying out my skin, since i cant moisturize without cloggin my pores, since i hav oily skin :smileysad: help !!!

The Alpha Beta® Peel will help with your complexion overall.  It will exfoliate dead skin cells, boost collagen production, and clear out pores. It is good for all skin types and minimizes the appearance of pores & blemishes.

All Over Blemish Solution is a great pore minimizer and will eliminate and prevent blackheads.

Correct & Perfect is a powerful spot treatement that will allow you to target whiteheads or problem areas.  You can also apply as a mask for 10 minutes for even faster results.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

Alpha Beta® Peel: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P269122&categoryId=B70

All Over Blemish Solution: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P158531&categoryId=B70

Correct & Perfect: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P158532&categoryId=B70

Cathryn

(0) Hearts

Where do the replies and andswers show up?

halftime

(0) Hearts

Hello, i am 54 years old and i have redness and uneven skin tone. i have tried every dark spot corrector thee is. also little lines are showing up YUK! i need a good regiment to stick with and get results. please help me. Donna :womanembarrassed:

Cathryn

(0) Hearts

The sides of my nose stay really oily, but the rest of my face stays super dry. Anything I can do to even it out?

Cathryn

(0) Hearts

I have really tiny black heads on the side of my nose. No matter what I do they wont go away! I use a Mia and have tried endlessly with the little metal black head remover. What can I do to get rid of them?

sugaccubed

(0) Hearts

I wash my face every morning and night and my skin has gotten better with the use of ole henricksen micro peel and aloe cleanser. But I get those big pimples under my skin sometimes, black heads, I usually get pimples around my cheek to jaw area. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people that can just put on concealer and go. I always have to use foundation. I even converted to laura mercier tinted moisturizer so that it might be better for my skin. I also have philosophy acne moisturizer, acne treatment, etc. I bought argan oil as moisturizer as well. I don't know what else to do. I've spent so much money on skin care.

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

sugaccubed wrote:

I wash my face every morning and night and my skin has gotten better with the use of ole henricksen micro peel and aloe cleanser. But I get those big pimples under my skin sometimes, black heads, I usually get pimples around my cheek to jaw area. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people that can just put on concealer and go. I always have to use foundation. I even converted to laura mercier tinted moisturizer so that it might be better for my skin. I also have philosophy acne moisturizer, acne treatment, etc. I bought argan oil as moisturizer as well. I don't know what else to do. I've spent so much money on skin care.

Dear Sugaccubed,

It sounds like you are experiencing cystic pimples and those can be painful! Having suffered from cystic acne when I was younger, I know how frustrating this can be. The best way to treat those is from the inside - out. Try removing sugar from your diet for 30 - 60 days (including all juices) and when you eat natural sugar (fruit) be sure to pair it with a protein like almonds, chicken, etc to help stabilize the blood sugar. When the blood sugar spikes, testosterone, the hormone responsible for oil product spikes and that will in turn cause blemishes. I have seen many client's transform their skin over the years by making dietary modifications.

I also recommend trying a gentle exfoliant like the blue / black berry enzyme mask 3 - 4X / week at night. This will help calm the skin, infuse it with moisture as well as exfoliate so you won't be experiencing an overgrowth of skin on top of your blemishes. Be sure not to touch / pop the cystic pimples, this will only aggrivate them. The best thing you can do would be to wrap an ice cube in a handerchief and hold it in place over the cyst for 20-30 seconds at a time to bring down the inflammation. It always does the trick! You want to treat your acne very gently and in time, you will see your skin turn around!

Stay faithful to a simple daily regimen. I recommend the following for you: the aloe vera cleanser, grease relief tonic, vitamin plus moisturizer and add in a treatment like invigorating night gel in the PM.

Cheers,

Ole

gurushroomoo

(0) Hearts

I'm not Ole, but argon oil can be really, really bad for people with acne. Philosophy is also a horrible skin line, for the most part. I understand your frustration, it is really hard to find the right products, hopefully Ole will be of help. Try asking Dr. Gross too. His products are really good. I haven't tried any Ole ones yet.

iluvvegas

(0) Hearts

Just a quick question on what are the best products to use, when your skin is prone to breakouts and acne scarring?  I would also like to know what the best product is to fade the acne scars?  I have them on my face and arms.

Thanks

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

iluvvegas wrote:

Just a quick question on what are the best products to use, when your skin is prone to breakouts and acne scarring?  I would also like to know what the best product is to fade the acne scars?  I have them on my face and arms.

Thanks

I highly recommend Alpha Beta® Peels for my patients who have complexion problems.  It helps reduce scarring and the appearance of pores & blemishes-which is what you seem most concerned with.  This is actually a very precise blend of five different acids – not just salicylic – that will help exfoliate dead skin cells, boost collagen production, and clear out pores. Daily, gentle chemical exfoliation with these alpha and beta hydroxy acids will help to prevent the dead skin cells which can make the problem worse.

You may also want to try the Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion which treats acne, heals blemishes, repairs scarring, reduces redness, and provides antioxidants, peptides and collagen boosters to prevent fine lines and collagen breakdown.  I formulated it with Bisabolol and marine botanicals so it soothes and protects the skin.  

If you experience ever bumpy blemishes I recommend that you use the Correct & Perfect Spot Treatment.   Apply this only to the bumpy pimple, and watch it disappear overnight.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P269122&categoryId=B70

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P291440&categoryId=B70

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P158532&categoryId=B70

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 172 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 85 in conversation
    • Sephoraadmin
    • almd