Sephoraadmin

EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

[ Edited ]

This thread is now closed. Thank you for everyone who participated! If your question did not get answered, Ole and Dr. Gross will do their best to post more responses later in the week. Also to those who asked questions, look out for a little gift of appreciation from the brands!

Beautiful skin is just a question away.  Visit this thread on January 25 between 12pm-3pm PST to participate in our live skincare Q&A with leading New York City dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross and celebrity skincare expert Ole Henriksen. Ask them anything—from how to manage acne to which moisturizer is best for your skin type. On January 25, ask your questions in the thread below and our experts will answer them, in real-time. 

Be sure to "subscribe" to this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered. (Check the “Subscriptions" box on the right side of the post page).

Ole H.jpg

Ole Henriksen: 12 – 1:30pm PST
Learn more about Ole Henriksen> http://seph.me/zWdGd6           

Dr. Gross.jpg 

Dr. Dennis Gross: 1:30-3:00pm PST

Learn more about  Dr. Dennis Gross> http://seph.me/xLRvIB

praistyle

Re: EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

(0) Hearts

Hello, I am a 24 year old with combination skin and I have spent the last 3 months figuring out what kind of skin regimen I should be carrying to help prevent wrinkles and minimize the fine lines I do currently have (smile and crow's feet).  I apply SPF and moisturizer daily but what eye care should I be leaning towards? Is it too early for retinol? What day and night cream should I be using now at this age?

Thank you so much in advance! 

-Raisa M- 

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- praistyle wrote:

Hello, I am a 24 year old with combination skin and I have spent the last 3 months figuring out what kind of skin regimen I should be carrying to help prevent wrinkles and minimize the fine lines I do currently have (smile and crow's feet).  I apply SPF and moisturizer daily but what eye care should I be leaning towards? Is it too early for retinol? What day and night cream should I be using now at this age?

-Raisa M-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I recommend the original Alpha Beta Peel which is excellent for someone like you who is young but looking for preventative measures and only has mild signs of aging.

You are wise to be wearing SPF and moisturizer daily-never stop doing so.  Yes, I would recommend using an eye cream since the skin around the eye is thin and prone to the breakdown of collagen and elasticity. Try the Lift and Lighten Eye Cream Advanced Technology or Hydra Pure Firming Eye Cream.

To repaire while you sleep wear a heavier moisturizer at night than during the day.  The Hydra Pure Intense Moisture Cream is an excellent choice.

olehenriksen

praistyle wrote:

Hello, I am a 24 year old with combination skin and I have spent the last 3 months figuring out what kind of skin regimen I should be carrying to help prevent wrinkles and minimize the fine lines I do currently have (smile and crow's feet).  I apply SPF and moisturizer daily but what eye care should I be leaning towards? Is it too early for retinol? What day and night cream should I be using now at this age?

-Raisa M- 

Hi Raisa,

I think that you are a perfect candidate for my 3 Little Wonders:

P124716_hero.jpg

I originally put this kit together for my clients at the SPA who were looking to solve needs just like yours. My recommendation is that you apply Truth Serum in the AM followed by Sheer Transformation. Truth Serum will help to maintain moisture levels in your skin, firm and even brighten. Sheer is a great moisturizer - very lightweight and oil free. Because this does not have a sunscreen in it - I would highly recommend that you use one on top for the day (the same one you are using now is perfectly fine.) In the evening, you apply Invigorating Night Gel - also oil free, this potent treatment gel packed with exfoliating fruit acids will help to promote healthy cell turnover to prevent and treat fine lines and wrinkles. Again, follow with Sheer Transformation.

As for an eye creme, I would recommend my Fresh Start Eye Creme. This richly textured eye creme will help to maintain moisture in the fragile eye area and the omega fats will keep the skin supple to prevent the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. The one thing that is so important to me with eye cremes. Apply this as your last step after your moisturizer so that you can be sure that it stays put, where you need it most.

I am so impressed that you are taking such an active approach to your skin care routine - it's so important!

Cheers - Ole

phaedra13

Hi All, 

What can I do to remove or reduce the effects of  hair follicle sized hyperpigmentation on dark African-American skin? Everything I've tried wants me to smear on a cream that lightens the area, but it lightens everything proportionally so that eventually, the skin is not all the same color.  I just want my skin to all be the same color again.  HELP!!!!! 

olehenriksen

phaedra13 wrote:

Hi All, 

What can I do to remove or reduce the effects of  hair follicle sized hyperpigmentation on dark African-American skin? Everything I've tried wants me to smear on a cream that lightens the area, but it lightens everything proportionally so that eventually, the skin is not all the same color.  I just want my skin to all be the same color again.  HELP!!!!! 

Hi Phaedra,

At this level, I would recommend that you reach out to a dermatologist.

Typically, with products desgined to brighten and even skin tone, they will traditionally even the skin tone overall - not leave the dark spots still darker than the rest. I am wondering if there is something else happening here.

In addition to the products that you are using to brighten / even skin tone - the only recommednation that I might also want to make is that you make sure that you're also exfoliating regularly: physical + chemical or enzymatic. This will help to slough away dead skin and improve / jump start cell turn over. Regardless of whether you are experiencing hyperpigmentation or not, I recommend this to all of my clients.

Cheers - Ole

lmorsell

Hello!  I am a 48 year old female with extremely oily skin and blackheads on my nose. What do you reccommend to help keep my oil under control and lessen the blackheads?  I don't have many wrinkles except for a few fine lines under my eyes.  I also have undereye bags and would like information on how to reduce this as well.  Thank you!

olehenriksen

lmorsell wrote:

Hello!  I am a 48 year old female with extremely oily skin and blackheads on my nose. What do you reccommend to help keep my oil under control and lessen the blackheads?  I don't have many wrinkles except for a few fine lines under my eyes.  I also have undereye bags and would like information on how to reduce this as well.  Thank you!

Hi Imorsell,

For you - It will be important to keep your skin super clean (especially after physical activities). I recommend my Aloe Vera Deep Cleanser Cleanser and Grease Relief Tonic. Both are great, soothing products that will help to balance and control oilines. 

To treat blackheads, it is important to again, cleanse thoroughly and exfoliate (use a special sponge when you cleanse + use a physical exfoliant that will help to keep the pores clear).

My 3 Little Wonders is an excellent overall treatment system. It will help to balance your skin (control excess oil), and treat many of your anti-aging concerns: fine lines, brightness, hydration without being heavy (all of these products are oil free)

Puffy eyes can be a result of diet, so try to cut salt of our diet where possible + to soothe and reduce inflamation, you can also use my Ultimate Lift Eye Gel in the evenings. This product is based on my cucumber sushi roll treatment that I use at my SPA during facials - to reduce puffiness and calm the eye region. You will wake up looking refreshed!

Cheers - Ole

UltimateLiftEyeGel_1oz low res.jpg

makun

I have super flaky skin on my forehead.  The only thing that seems to take care of it is palmer's cocoa butter which I have to apply about 4 times a day and twice before sleeping.  Unfortunately it isn't really formulated to be put on faces and while it leaves my skin super moisturized, I can't keep makeup applied on top of it, it just kind of slides off.  Any suggestions of what to use on my face?

drdennisgross

makun wrote:

I have super flaky skin on my forehead.  The only thing that seems to take care of it is palmer's cocoa butter which I have to apply about 4 times a day and twice before sleeping.  Unfortunately it isn't really formulated to be put on faces and while it leaves my skin super moisturized, I can't keep makeup applied on top of it, it just kind of slides off.  Any suggestions of what to use on my face?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I would recomend the Extra Strength Version of the Alpha Beta Peel to you, which has higher concentrations of alpha & beta hydroxy acids than the original. It will microexfoliate gently and reduce the flaking you are experiencing. There is no irritation or downtown with my peel and the immediate results will give you a radiant & glowing complexion.

The peel does not replace a moisturizer, so be sure to still apply something afterwards. The Hydra-Pure™ Intense Moisture Cream is very hydrating.

In a 28 day consumer study 96% of users reported visible improvement in their makeup application and longer wear. ~Dr. Dennis Gross

olehenriksen

makun wrote:

I have super flaky skin on my forehead.  The only thing that seems to take care of it is palmer's cocoa butter which I have to apply about 4 times a day and twice before sleeping.  Unfortunately it isn't really formulated to be put on faces and while it leaves my skin super moisturized, I can't keep makeup applied on top of it, it just kind of slides off.  Any suggestions of what to use on my face?

Hi Makun,

First I would recommend that you gently exfoliate your skin on a daily basis. I would recommend that you incorporate a complexion sponge into your cleansing step. You can also use a physical exfoliant like my walnut scrub.

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42318&categoryId=C19980

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0402&categoryId=B70

Exfoliating will take care of proper cell turnover and removing some of the flakiness. I would then recommend using my Herbal Day Creme SPF 15 which is loaded with healthy fats like: sunflower seed oil, grape seed oil etc.

I would also recommend that you incorporate healthy nuts (almonds, cashews and walnuts)  into your diet - eat them as a snack! This will definitely improve the condition of your skin.

Cheers - Ole

speckledkiwi

(0) Hearts

1. Is there any way to prevent - not just remove - blackheads?

2. How does one remove acne scars, or the dark spots that previous pimples have left?

3.  If the root cause of acne is hormones, what can one do to keep one's hormones under as much control as possible? 

4. This may not be skin-related, but my calves are covered with green bruises. They don't hurt, but don't fade - some of them have been there for about a year. What is going on here? 

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

speckledkiwi wrote:

2. How does one remove acne scars, or the dark spots that previous pimples have left?

3.  If the root cause of acne is hormones, what can one do to keep one's hormones under as much control as possible? 

4. This may not be skin-related, but my calves are covered with green bruises. They don't hurt, but don't fade - some of them have been there for about a year. What is going on here? 

Hi-I am running out of time but wanted to respond to you about some of your questions...

To combat blackheads, try the All Over Blemsih Solution. It will minimize pores and work to eliminate and prevent blackheads. It will also help control oil and shine.

For moisturizer-Trifix™ Oil-Free Moisturizer is fast absorbing and an oil-free formula that targets blackheads, clogged pores, and soothes irritation while also working to nourish and quench skin.

olehenriksen

speckledkiwi wrote:

Hi Speckledkiwi:

I will answer in order for you ...

1. Oily skin is much more prone to blackheads. To prevent, get professional complexion treatments 1x month and exfoliate 3x week (like my walnut scrub) and use a mask (like my blemish attack mask) to help constrict the pores and purify.

2. I would say that for acne scars, my Micro Mini Peeling System is extraordinary + use Enlighten Me followed by Sheer Transformation. Exfoliation and brightening is very important to treating acne scars and dark spots.

3. While acne can be caused by hormones, I also believe that diet is also a big contributor. It is very important to maintain a balanced diet of protein, multi-grain and healthy fats. There isn't a lot you can do to keep your hormones in check.

4. With regard to the dark spots on your calves, I would certainly recommend that you contact your physician.

Cheers - Ole

kannt

(0) Hearts

I am 22 and have had bad acne since I was 12, it is not bad now but I have a lot of dark/red marks on my face. Because of this, I have to wear makeup everyday I go out. What is a good solution for this issue?

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

kannt wrote:

I am 22 and have had bad acne since I was 12, it is not bad now but I have a lot of dark/red marks on my face. Because of this, I have to wear makeup everyday I go out. What is a good solution for this issue?

I highly recommend Alpha Beta® Peels for my patients who have complexion problems and it helps reduce scarring and the appearance of pores & blemishes too.  This is actually a very precise blend of five different acids – not just salicylic – that will help exfoliate dead skin cells, boost collagen production, and clear out pores. Daily, gentle chemical exfoliation with these alpha and beta hydroxy acids will help to prevent the dead skin cells which can proliferate the problem. The Alpha Beta Face Peel can easily be worked into a daily routine. Use it after cleansing and before moisturizing. It is a treatment product that will help to improve the overall health of skin with consistent use. I would not use it in conjunction with any products that are overly-drying. Try not to over stimulate the skin.  There is no irritation or downtown with my peel and the immediate results will give you a radiant & glowing complexion, and you will be happier going out make up free.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42787&categoryId=5668

Dr. Dennis Gross

olehenriksen

kannt wrote:

Hi Kannt,

Like you, I suffered from cystic ance as a youth. What was very important for me to learn was (1) I needed to look at my lifestyle. This meant eating healthy (clean and wholesome foods with an emphasis on complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy natural fats) and making sure that I exercised regularly. (2) When treating acne, it is very important not to overtreat or aggravate the skin. Use skin care product with anti-bacterial properties and that are also soothing.

In my line that I would recommend the kit for Oily / Blemish Prone skin. it will have everything that you need to effectively treat your skin on the outside. 

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P258246&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5674

In terms of diet ... be careful with any kinds of excess sugar.

A tip you might try is to fill your sink with warm water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil mixed in - stir it well. Soak a terry face cloth in this liquid and apply on and off 5x every other night.

Once you have your blemishes under control - you can treat acne scarring with gentle exfoliation, using my Invigorating Night Gel and Walnut Scrub (both are in the kit I have recommended)

With continued and faithful use - my goal is to allow you to go out with no make up on and feel beautiful.

Keep it simple - it's all about the calming and soothing.

Cheers - Ole

kannt

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your answer Ole. I have been a vegetarian for 5 years and have always eaten very healthy my entire life, so I think it was more genetics than anything. I will definitely look into the products you recommended!

beautyfull

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm 32 and I have what looks like a whitehead pimple formed above my eyebrow, but it's not a pimple, it's just a formed white bump that is hard.  It's not a mole, but I don't know what it is, or if there is a way I can treat it or have it removed?  I've had this hardened bump for a few years now.Please help.

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

beautyfull wrote:

I'm 32 and I have what looks like a whitehead pimple formed above my eyebrow, but it's not a pimple, it's just a formed white bump that is hard.  It's not a mole, but I don't know what it is, or if there is a way I can treat it or have it removed?  I've had this hardened bump for a few years now.Please help.

Hi,

I would recommend consulting a doctor who can examine and make a prognosis in person.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

suki2

(0) Hearts

Please help!  I'm plagued with whiteheads.  I've always had one or two, but lately I'm getting a new one roughly every few weeks.  I can't afford to go to a dermatologist, and I know I can't deal with them myself.  What should I do?

Many thanks,

Suki2

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

suki2 wrote:

Please help!  I'm plagued with whiteheads.  I've always had one or two, but lately I'm getting a new one roughly every few weeks.  I can't afford to go to a dermatologist, and I know I can't deal with them myself.  What should I do?

Many thanks,

Suki2

Hi Suki2,

I recommend Alpha Beta® Peels for my patients who have complexion problems and concerns such as yours.  It has five different acids that will help exfoliate dead skin cells, boost collagen production, and clear out pores. Daily, gentle chemical exfoliation with these alpha and beta hydroxy acids will help to prevent the dead skin cells which can make the problem worse.

You may also want to try the Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion which treats acne, heals blemishes, repairs scarring, reduces redness, and provides antioxidants, peptides and collagen boosters to prevent fine lines and collagen breakdown.  I formulated it with Bisabolol and marine botanicals so it soothes and protects the skin.  

Correct & Perfect is a powerful spot treatement that will allow you to target whiteheads or problem areas.  You can also apply as a mask for 10 minutes for even faster results.
~Dr. Dennis Gross

Alpha Beta® Peels: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P269122&categoryId=B70

Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P291440&categoryId=B70

Correct & Perfect: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P158532&categoryId=B70

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 172 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 85 in conversation
    • Sephoraadmin
    • almd
    • antie96
    • suema
    • desertrosa
    • bianca1223