auburnbeauty

Dry skin and Acne

My skin is incredibly dry/flaky and peeling like crazy in my T-zone. Unfortunately, it breaks out there all the time too. I wash twice a day and exfoliate twice a week and tried more products than I can count. Moisturizing makes me break out more. Treating the acne dries my skin out more. I lose no matter what. What should I do? Treatments? Products

elnxio

Re: Dry skin and Acne

(0) Hearts

moisturizing should not cause more breakouts if you are using the right one for you. what moisturizing products are breaking you out? 

If youre already using an acne treatment product (something that contains benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid), you may want to opt for a moisturizer without any acne medication since using many acne products in combination may just further aggravate your skin or dry it out, producing more acne in the end. 

It seems like your acne may be induced by dryness. Try exfoliating only once a week or using a less abrasive exfoliator. And as mentioned above, try using less acne medicated products to see if that helps with the dryness. 

I use Cerave Lotion and i swear by it. its super light, yet keeps you moisturized throughout the entire day without getting greasy. 

auburnbeauty

(0) Hearts

This advice has been great! I adore Sephora, but I refer to the advice section a lot, but have never actually used it myself - Super impressed right now, ha!

I'm currently using the First-Aid Beauty moisturizer, along with a Burt's Bees Sensitive skin face wash. It seemed to be working for a while, but I swear it's like over time my skin develops an immunity to anything that works. I'm twenty years old, so I feel like this acne deal should be over by now...

Honestly, the acne is combination. I have cystic on my cheeks, clogged pores on my chin, and my nose has more blackheads than anyone I know of.

Thanks for all the great advice thus far!

jessimomma

(0) Hearts

i use clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief during the day and pure marula oil (leakey) at night....saved my skin this winter

kalex

(0) Hearts

I also have dry acne-prone skin I agree with babybear04.  1 - Argan Oil is a great moisturizer!  Just put a couple of drops on your fingertips and pat all over your face.  If some areas need more just repeat. 2 - Strip your skincare down to the basics for awhile and give your skin time to balance and heal. 

Go with super gentle face wash (like Cetaphil) and Argan Oil for moisture and call it a day (or week or month actually). 

After a couple of weeks if you're still experiencing breakouts you can try adding in one treatment at a time (start with every other day to acclimate your skin) and see how your skin reacts.

babybear04

Hi auburnbeauty,

As keelybt asked, what products are you currently using and what products have you previously tried that didn't work?  What is your routine like? Also, what kind of acne do you suffer from?  Cystic? Clogged pores? Blackheads? Whiteheads?

In struggling to find the solution to my acne woes, I became an acne detective--I researched and researched, and grew to learn a lot about ingredients, especially ones known to cause acne.

In my investigation, I've found a lot of "trigger" ingredients for me like talc, silicone/dimethicone, and fragrance.  I found this based on a trial of elimination--I gathered the products I've used that broke me out and looked up each and every ingredient.  Then I was able to narrow down and find ingredients that didn't work for my skin.  I know, the process seems tedious, but it has made me a smart shopper and has helped me identify what kinds of products I need to avoid.

That being said, one of my major problems had to do with moisturizers as well.  It seems like no matter what moisturizer I tried (from drugstore to high-end), I broke out. Since then, I've discovered the magic of Argan Oil and I swear by it.  It's the only moisturizer I can use on my skin that doesn't break me out and really hydrates my face.  I know the thought of putting oil on an acne-prone face is a little scary, but I've had absolutely zero negative side affects from using this oil, and it has actually improved the appearance of my skin.

Also, for some people, sometimes the key to treating acne is being gentle. A lot of people can't tolerate the harsh ingredients in a lot of acne products like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, so they have to take a different approach and make their main goal keeping skin clean.  Always be sure to wash your face before going to bed, and avoid the temptation to pop or use abrasive scrubs.

Once we gather a little more information from you, I'd be more than happy to supply you with more information and product recommendations!

auburnbeauty

(0) Hearts

This advice has been great! I adore Sephora, and I refer to the advice section a lot, but have never actually used it myself - Super impressed right now, ha!

I'm currently using the First-Aid Beauty moisturizer, along with a Burt's Bees Sensitive skin face wash. It seemed to be working for a while, but I swear it's like over time my skin develops an immunity to anything that works. I'm twenty years old, so I feel like this acne deal should be over by now...

Honestly, the acne is combination. I have cystic on my cheeks, clogged pores on my chin, and my nose has more blackheads than anyone I know of.

keelybt

(0) Hearts

Hi Auburnbeauty Which products are you using?  Which products have you experienced breakouts with?

auburnbeauty

(0) Hearts

This advice has been great! I adore Sephora, so I refer to the advice section a lot, but have never actually used it myself - Super impressed right now, ha!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • babybear04
    • jessimomma
    • elnxio
    • auburnbeauty