arete

Dry Skin Help!

[ Edited ]

I've posted recently about my dry tight skin. I appreciate all of the suggestions, but nothing seems to be helping.

I was using boscia products but recently switched to kate somerville gentle cleanser and the daily moisturizer am & pm.

These products have been more soothing to my combination skin and I think have helped some.

I've tried exfoliating like other readers have suggested and I've also been using my clarisonic every night (sensitive brush head). However, after exfoliating with the clarisonic and also my dermalogica gentle exfoliant (1x a week) ... my skin still feels tight and dry, if not more.

Should I cut back on my clarisonic?

I should also note that it is winter, I drink 8 glasses of water a day and I've tried using the Josie Maran argan oil in conjunction with my moisturizer, but that seemed too heavy for my skin. It also caused me to breakout some.

nycmakeupgeek

Re: Dry Skin Help!

(0) Hearts

I have extremely dry skin, more so in the winter. This is my routine and it has helped me.

1. The best mousterizer is aquaphor the huge bottle for $13 witht the pump. In general you will want more watery than creamy moisterizers (this also applies for foundations). 

2. Wash your face at night especially right before you go to sleep but make sure after you wash your face not to completely dry it afterwards.

3. Your face should not be completely wet or dry (blot it if necessary) then rub in the moisterizer. After your skin soaks it up about 5-10 min. rub in VASALINE, YES VASALINE!

4. You will wake up with skin like butter! 

Hope this helps!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I think all the suggestions that Diana gave you were great!

ChicDabbler

1. Do you wash your face twice a day? unless you have oily or acne prone skin, You can just rinse your face with water or use a gentle cleanser if you must in the morning. I have combination skin, I just wipe my face with a damp towel then apply SPF moisturizer when it's dry. If you have a good night regimen, the only thing on your face in the morning is the your natural oil and possibly the protective layer from night cream, no need for cleanser really.

2. Clarasonic should be used at most once a day, preferably every other day, and NEVER combined with an exfoliant/exfoliating cleanser. Not sure if I read it correctly, but use your hand to apply scrub, and use clarasonic brush with cleanser that doesn't have particles in it, preferably the two on different days. Also, I recommend a cream exfoliant, like Clinique 7 day cream scrub. The fine round beads doesn't irritate the skin, and the cream does not dry out the skin like the liquid/cleanser solution do.

3. Use oil carefully. I have combination skin and when it feels dry, I use only 3 drops of Argan oil instead of my moisturizer (a drop on forehead and each cheek, then blend out). When I use 5 drops, my face feel itchy and wants to break out. Alternatively, Fresh Seaberry and Tarte Maracuja oil are both a bit lighter than Argan oil, so you can try samples of that from Sephora. Or, if you don't want to play with oil anymore, what's your skin type and what moisturizer are you using? (so I can recommend something more hydration or heavier)

arete

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your suggestions! I do wash my face morning and night. I tend to break out in my tzone and also get oily mid day in those areas.

Would you still recomend only washing at night?

lylysa

If you wake up and your skin feels very oil or just very unclean, then yes, you can wash, if you wake up and your skin is feeling fine, you can skip washing or just rinse with water and towel dry it to keep from stripping it of any oils that your skin does need.

ChicDabbler

I second what Lylysa said. If your skin feel oily/itchy/unclean then by all means wash. Otherwise skip.

The Origin is a good moisturizer. Korres yogurt is also good for dehydrated skin. I have combination skin like you and I enjoy Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation (it does have a big dose of dimethicone if you find that a problem).

Also, do you use a toner? I use Clinique Toner 2 for dry/combo skin, which is a savior and a must for me in the summer. However, it is a bit drying now in the winter, so I use Boscia balancing or Origins Perfect World toner instead.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try to not use your Clarisonic along with your exfoliating product. Instead, use your fingers/hands to gently massage the exfoliator onto skin so it lightly "polishes" rather than rub in the product. Be sure to allows immediately follow up with moisturizer after you exfoliate as to not leave freshly exposed skin vulnerable to drying out.

You can try to use your Clarisonic every other night to see if it also helps, also, don't press or apply pressure to the body of the Clarisonic when you're using it. Don't force it against your skin, let it just sit on your skin and glide over areas, it does all the work for you so you don't need to have it be harsh against your face.

The oil may be too heavy when mixed with your moisturizer, try instead to maybe use a drop or two alone or only apply a drop to targetted areas that are drier than others.

dianabt

Hi arete, 

Yes! Please cut back on your Clarisonic, I think you are overexfoliating your skin and you definitely do not need to use it every night, at most I'd say 1 or 2x a week.

You may need a product that will help your skin from feeling dehydrated as well. Have you tried a hydrating mask or a new moisturizer?

Dr. Jart WaterFuse Hydro Gel Mask

Dr. Jart+ - Water Fuse Water-Full Hydrogel Mask

http://www.sephora.com/water-fuse-water-full-hydrogel-mask-P296101?skuId=1372325&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-...

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask

First Aid Beauty - Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-instant-oatmeal-mask-P374503?skuId=1417823&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-be...

Origins Make a Difference + Rejuvenating Moisturizer

Origins - Make A Difference™ Plus + Rejuvenating Moisturizer

http://www.sephora.com/make-a-difference-trade-plus-43-rejuvenating-moisturizer-P376634?skuId=145091...

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arete

[ Edited ]

Thank you Dianabt! I will definitely look into the First Aid Beauty Oatmeal Mask!

My skin is combination and tends to break out in my tzone, but also can be sensitive.

I think I get confused with how to treat my skintype.

When it comes time for spring and summer, would you suggest bumping up the number of times I should use my Clarisonic?

dianabt

(0) Hearts

I think you should be fine with that (especially if your skin feels oily or more congested) but try to use it every other day if you feel your skin really needs it.  I have combination skin and use my Clarisonic maybe 2x a week at the most.

Like the other girls said too, make sure to use a gel or cream cleanser and not anything with a scrubby or rough texture so you don't damage or dry out your skin. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arete

[ Edited ]

How often do you think I should use the Oatmeal mask? Once a week? Or just when I'm feeling especially dry?

dianabt

Try off using it twice a week to keep your skin hydrated and cleansed from buildup. :smileyhappy: Since its a hydrating mask, it should be fine to use as much as you'd like. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arete

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Dianabt, one more question... should I skip cleansing my face in the morning like the other readers suggested? Do you cleans morning and night?

Thank you for all of your help!

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I think at the very least, in the morning rinse with warm water then towel off before applying your moisturizer.  It will help them absorb better.  If you feel that your skin isn't clean enough, try using a very gentle cleanser instead of just water.

I have ridiculously dry skin myself, that is also acne-prone.  I do cleanse every morning and follow up with a good moisturizer.  My favorite cleanser that I've found so far is CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser which doesn't strip your skin of moisture, completely free of any irritating ingredients such as fragrance, and also includes good ingredients to help strengthen your skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • arete
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl