Joeybeanns
Accepted Solution

Does Sephora restock returned items?

I had bought the Urban Decay 3 for someone for Christmas, and it is tradition that on Christmas Eve everyone opens one gift. So the person I was giving the gift to picked the nicely wrapped Urban Decay 3 Palette. I was excited for her because I knew she was going to love it. So she opened it and I told her to open the palette as well. When she opened the palette, the brush was missing and the palette was used! Finger swipes and all! I was so embarrassed... Did anyone experience this? Does Sephora put returned items back on the shelf because I dont know how to explain the palette being used and all...? Now I will have to go back to the store and exchange it for a new one. 

doriangray

Re: Does Sephora restock returned items?

I returned my Naked 3 literally as my local store was setting out their first shipment of them.  I was unhappy with it for quality reasons but I still felt guilty because it was expensive and so sought after plus it was already OOS online.  I asked  a makeup artist at the store what happens to returned items, do they get sanitized and turned into testers or do SAs ever get to take them home?  He said "Psh, we don't want them, and we dont need to use them for testers"

linzoid

After working in beauty retail I can tell you that sometimes customers will return items and then tell the store associate that they didn't use the product when they are asked (by the way, everyone, when you're asked if you used the product, the store associate is only trying to find out if the product can be resold or if it has to be damaged out or turned into a tester...you're not going to get in trouble if you admit that you used it!). So the customer lies about it for some reason, and the store associate maybe doesn't check/doesn't notice that the person did actually use it, etc. and it winds up back on the shelf when it shouldn't be. It could be the store's mistake for not catching it and they should graciously exchange it for you if you bring it back.

Of course I have heard of this happening a lot with N3 though...so it could be awful customers "swatching" the shadows in store from the box and swiping the nice brush while they're at it...

Joeybeanns

I really hate customers who do that... Especially when there is a tester right there for them to swatch all they want. & It is extremely inconsiderate and rude when they even think of swiping the brush as well..

yazmin

Also sometimes people will open a new product to swatch it and put it back on the shelf, I have seen this and I have seen people get products that are opened. When I go to Sephora I open the package see if it was used if it wasn't I buy it, if it is used and there is someone working is nearby I will let them know. That's the main reason why I don't like buying drugstore makeup unless I see it is completely sealed. 

Joeybeanns

(0) Hearts

I agree completely about purchasing drugstore makeup. I didn't think to check the palette before I purchased it because I believed that people would be more considerate since Sephora is such a big name store, I guess rude people will always be rude...

anaa

What a shame that your surprise was ruined!  I received Naked3 for Christmas too, and when I read all the comments on this forum of people not liking it and returning it, I was honestly concerned that somehow I would get one of the returned ones.  I didn't want the person who gave it to me to be upset if it turned out to be a used or damaged return.  Mine was ok and it did come from Sephora.  Sorry about your experience, what a bummer.

Joeybeanns

(0) Hearts

I heard a lot about people not liking it too! I actually really like it though. The colors are my type for sure! & thanks it was a bummer :\. 

bfuller

From experience working in retail, there have been more than a few unfortunate incidences where ill-mannered patrons would "swap" their used goods for the new stuff, bypassing a return or exchange altogether.  Especially if the product had an item that was really nice included with it.  And in the case of your Naked 3 gift, since the brush was gone and there were finger swipes... that would be my guess.

Joeybeanns

Ugh... People can be very inconsiderate! Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it :smileyhappy:.

linda711

I agree with lilyyy on this one.  I bought my daughter Give Me More Lip, and it was missing a lipstick.  I would hope that Sephora wouldn't knowingly restock it, and I should have checked the seal.  Another return:smileysad:

friedrice

(0) Hearts

Oh my, same thing happened to me :smileysad:

I was so happy to open the set, but then I saw a missing lipstick. So sad.

Joeybeanns

(0) Hearts

That is pretty disappointing! I hope they wouldn't restock it too.

Spoiler

spacesuit

[ Edited ]

I've sometimes received Urban Decay palettes with a slight fingertip mark on one of the shadows, I found out that it's because the pans are set in by hand and sometimes a worker will accidentally touch the pan while putting it in the palette. If it's really obvious the shadows were swatched though (and the brush missing is a big red flag too) you should definitely contact customer service / go back to the store and exchange it, a customer probably tampered with it.

anaa

UD needs to readdress the Quality Control in their production process.  Why would there be fingerprints, the production staff doesn't wear gloves?? Yuck.

spacesuit

Oh no, it's not like a full-on fingerprint, I would be so freaked out! Just a minor disruption of the surface of the shadow. I'm pretty sure the workers do wear gloves, that would be a health issue if they didn't.

Joeybeanns

Yeah, I'm going to go back to exchange it. I hope things go smoothly when I exchange it. I'm afraid they might accuse me for it and not accept the exchange. 

yazmin

I've returned items I've swatched and they asked if I use it I say yes, I have seen the lady put a label on it, marking it used and returned without even taking a look at it. Maybe people go return a product and say they never used it and they go back on the shelves?

lilyyy

I would give Sephora the benefit of the doubt. It might have been a rude customer that swatches instead of using the tester.

Joeybeanns

Come to think of it, I guess you are right. Sephora does have pretty good customer service.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 33 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • anaa
    • friedrice
    • lilyyy
    • doriangray
    • yazmin
    • Joeybeanns