Jessieskye

Desperate for a moisturizer for my difficult skin

Hi everyone! I am 19 and have never been able to find a moisturizer that works for me because I have very combination skin. I have very acne prone skin, and in using a variety of acne medication including Retin A my skin has cleared up. I either have really dry patches or really oily areas with enlarged pores. Every moisturizer I try is either not moisturizing enough for my dry areas or makes me look like an oily mess. Any advice??

HarlemJPN

Re: Desperate for a moisturizer for my difficult skin

(0) Hearts

Great suggestions already. I would suggest adding Dr Jart's water fuse max water sleeping mask for an extra "oomph!" in your weekly routine. It helped me tremendously with the patchy/flaky unpleasantness associated with my topical Rx acne meds (Acanya & Atralin). 

And it doesn't break out my picky, cranky, acne-prone skin.

for nighttime, I think Dr Gross's age erase moisturizer is the bee's knees.

happy hunting! Hope you find something that tames your skin' sinner beast! :-)

RandeeBT

Hi Jessieskye! 

I highly recommend trying First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream as your night moisturizer. This moisturizer is very soothing and it is perfect for dry skin. 

For your day moisturizer, I recommend trying Murad's Essential-C Day Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++. This moisturizer is oil-free and will deliver the perfect amount of moisture and sun protection for your combination skin. 

Best,
Randee
PrettyLittleDr

(0) Hearts

I second FAB's Ultra repair cream! I'm also using Retin-A and have the EXACT same problem - some spots are super dry, some are still super oily! I actually use 2 different moisturizers in the AM, haha, which sounds crazy - but I use the FAB Ultra repair cream on my dry areas (usually around my mouth, chin, and under/around my nose), let that dry, and then I use a regular moisturizer on my entire face (one with SPF!). I'm currently enjoying Cerave's AM facial lotion - my derm recommended it and it seems to work well with the Retin-A. Some moisturizers can sting when you apply them because of how sensitive your skin can be, but this one NEVER does. It doesn't break me out or make me look greasy, either.

Jessieskye

Thank you! I've heard a lot of good things about the repair cream :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Are you looking for a day or night moisturizer, or for both?

Jessieskye

(0) Hearts

Both please! 

laura819

(0) Hearts

You could try Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel - I use that day and night. If you need something more, you could try their Moisture Surge.

Jessieskye

(0) Hearts

I tried the gel and my dry patches were very flaky, but you're right maybe their moisture surge would work!

smgirvin

(0) Hearts

I love both of these moisturizers! I have combo skin too and they work really well. Also I add a drop of oil (marula is my favorite) once a day to help give some extra goodness and to help control extra oil. I am very picky with my moisturizers so I know what you are going through! Hope you find something that works :smileyhappy:

Jessieskye

Thank you! :smileyhappy: I should look into getting a good oil. I've always been afraid to put oil on my already oily skin but I hear good things!

smgirvin

(0) Hearts

You should! It makes a world of difference and as long as you only use a drop, you should be fine. I would go into a Sephora and ask for a few samples so you can find one that works well for you.

lylysa

Depending on if you're looking for your AM moisturizer to mattify, check out Murad's Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15, this lotion really helps to control oil and shine and also targets balancing skin to cut down on break outs without being heavily reliant on acne fighting ingredients. If you're wanting a more basic moisturizer that doesn't specifically tackle mattifyig try Boscia's Oil Free Hydration SPF 15, though it does contain ingredients to assist with oil control, it's not as "heavy duty" as the Murad one and this feels lighter in texture (work the Murad formula between finger tips to thin it out some prior to applying on face). Boscia's a great line for sensitive or combination skin and is very reliant on more botanical based formulas.

For night, try a gel based moisturizer with humectants for easy absorption but effective hydration. Dr. Jart's Waterfuse Gel is packed with conditioners and the humectant sodium hyaluronate (binds 1000x its own weight in moisture drawn from the atmosphere to hydrate without weighing skin down) to nourish skin while being weightless and nonproblematic for oily/combination areas. Korres' Pomegranate Gel Cream is also a great one for night, but it's becoming more difficult to track online and in stores, you may need to call into a location to see if it's still in stock or snag a sample of it. 

Philosophy also has their Take a Deep Breath moisturizers that are gel/cream based, they have a SPF 30 and non-SPF formulas available for night and day use. They both aim to decongest skin, and give a "breathable" sense to skin.

Jessieskye

Thank you SO much! I am so excited to try some of these out, they all sound amazing :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • smgirvin
    • laura819
    • HarlemJPN
    • RandeeBT
    • PrettyLittleDr