SarahShameless

Dark spot remover

(0) Hearts

I'm 20 years old and I have oily skin, medium skin tone, VERY hormonally acne-prone. I've been breaking out since I was in fourth grade. I have terrible dark spots pretty much everywhere except for my forehead and nose. The best thing I've tried  was Este Lauder Idealist Illuminator. It got rid of new dark spots and old dark spots. HOWEVER, it was extremely slow to work, almost unbearably so. And it was $89. Not cool. Anyway, since then, I've tried the clinique dark spot corrector, used it every day for five months straight and it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Then I tried the Murad Post acne spot lightening gel, which did lighten somewhat, and pretty quickly, but left me with a LOT of redness. Not sure if it was because the product got old or what. So about a month ago, i purchased Glow by Dr. Brandt, because it was told it promoted even skin tone. It definitely made my skin brighter in the first week, but it also made me break out, and didnt do anything to actually target my dark spots. On top of that, now I have even more dark spots from the break out it gave me.

I'm returning it tomorrow. I'm now tossing the idea of either getting the shiseido white lucent dark spot lightener, or the clarins one. I'm leaning more towards shiseido because i know more about it and have heard overwhelmingly good reviews about it. but i also heard the weils orgins one is good too, and the ole henrikson one. At this point i'm looking for two things:
value for the money, and which one lightens the best. HELP!

beautylovingirl

Re: Dark spot remover

You should look at Dr. Murad's rapid pigment lightening serum it works much faster than the post acne spot lightening gel and also include the Intensive C Radiance Peel and that should take care of your problem. Hope this helps!

Isabo

Hi Sarah,

I feel your pain! I experienced the dreaded pregnancy mask along with mild acne discoloration. Fortunately, I found a great medical aesthetician. I would suggest getting a consultation with a credible aesthetician in your area. After microdermabrasion and chemical peels -geared towards my specific problem, my skin is looking amazing.

There are so many things they can do to help.

Good luck!

autobiographer

(0) Hearts

I use an spf every day, but it's spf in my makeup; both my foundation and powder have at least 20 spf each. Is that enough to keep the dark spots from getting darker? 

drrragon

(0) Hearts

well, that's hard to say.  I've read that you need at least a half-teaspon of sunscreen on your face to reach the SPF on the label.  By those terms the amount of foundation I use is just a small dab and probably not enough.  For myself, I tend to err on the side of caution and just apply a separate sunscreen prior to any makeup.  It's definitely a hassle, but all the older people on both sides of my family have tons of brown age spots so I don't want to take any chances!

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Sarah, since the Murad worked for you, you might consider finding another product that has hydroquinone in it, which is the active ingredient in the Murad.  The Murad post acne spot lightening gel does contains a large amount of alcohol though, which possibly caused the redness on your face?  For some people alcohol doesn't bother them, for others it can be too harsh and drying on their skin.

Kate Somerville Complexion Correction Spot Reducing Concentrate has the same amount of hydroquinone as your Murad, but no irritating ingredients like alcohol in it, and has other good stuff like glycolic acid and lactic acid that might further help with your dark spots.

I absolutely agree with Melissa, that if you are using any kind of spot reducting treatment, you MUST use sunscreen daily.

SarahShameless

(0) Hearts

Drrragon, i may try that one eventually. But the tube is so tiny, i would probably go through that one in a month and i'm not too sure i'd see results that quickly. Do you have to use it day time and night time?

drrragon

[ Edited ]

Hmm, if you were satisfied with the results from your Murad (other than the redness it caused), then you could apply this one at the same frequency as you did the Murad.  Just make sure to use sunscreen during the day even if you only apply it at night.

A lower cost option is Alpha Hydrox Spotlight Targeted Skin Lightener (you can find this at drugstore dot com), which like the other two contains 2% hydroquinone.  However, this one also contains 10% glycolic acid (which helps increase skin cell turnover).  The glycolic acid could help fade brown spots more quickly, but if you've never used it before it could be irritating to your skin, so if you try this one I'd recommend phasing it in slowly over time to let your skin get used to the glycolic.

swfupload_7397379742584541961.jpg

melissabt

[ Edited ]

Hi SarahShameless-

It sounds like you've tried a few of them! Most of them have hydroquinone which, is a naturally lightening skin ingredient. My suggestion is to ask the Cast Member for a sample of both to see which one work for your skin. Also, make sure that you are using an SPF during the day to prevent your dark spots from getting darker!

Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Defense Moisture Lotion - SPF 30

peter spf.jpg

<3 Melissa
SarahShameless

(0) Hearts

Wow, didn't know spf could prevent them from getting darker. I'm glad I always use my murad oil control mattifier and concealer that both have spf!
So another question. do you think it would be bad to try to use multiple dark spot correctors at the same time? like if i tried to use the origins one and the ole henriksen one, would my dark spots go away faster?

melissabt

@Sarah. I would try using only one at a time! So you can get the benefits and see exactly which product is working for you:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • drrragon
    • beautylovingirl
    • autobiographer
    • SarahShameless