etscore1

Could use some hair care advice.

[ Edited ]

I am looking for a new shampoo and conditioner. I have been using Aveda products for a long time and am looking to switch it up.

I have long, fine, straight hair and a lot of it. Currently it is 100% natural - no color or treatment. It's pretty normal in that it's not particularly oily or dry - but after a couple days without being washed, it starts getting oily.

The only real issue I'm looking to remedy is after washing my hair and combing it out, I feel like my brush (and bathroom) is covered in hair. Not sure whether to quantify it as breakage or falling out, but I would like to find a way to minimize this. 

Also, because my hair is fine (even though I have a lot of it), I'm looking for something that doesn't weigh my hair down and lose what little volume I have naturally.

I've been looking at Alterna, Sachajuan and Kerastase. I searched and didn't find too much about Sachajuan or Kerastase on this board. The shampoos/conditioners I'm currently debating between are:

• Alterna Bamboo Luminous Shine
  • Alterna Caviar Replenishing
  • Alterna Caviar Repair Instant Recovery
  • Sachajuan Normal Hair 
  • Kerastase Cristalliste Bain Cristal Luminous products for fine/long hair

Would love any feedback on the products listed or suggestions on something that might work even better. Even just narrowing the Alterna products down to the best option would be a great start! 

DeltaGammaGirl

Re: Could use some hair care advice.

If you like Aveda, you would love the Pureology line. I used to use Aveda and loved it and my mom got me the hydrating Pureology shampoo and it is amazing. It has that same really great natural clean scent that Aveda products have and it's awesome! I have fine "normal" hair as well, and this works great for me!

etscore1

(0) Hearts

I was just reading about this and it appears it's geared specifically towards maintaining color-treated hair?

I've been using Aveda Brilliant without any breaks for years, since when I used to highlight/lowlight my hair. But it's been probably 6-7 years since I've done that and all of the color has long grown out and been cut off. Brilliant is meant for the same purpose, but has been great for my hair despite not having any color to maintain. 

DeltaGammaGirl

It is good for color-treated! It is just more gentle, so it won't cause any harm on non-color treated! My friend who doesn't color her hair at all uses it and LOVES it as well!

lgold25

I know you're looking for something that won't weigh your hair down, but in my experience of using Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo & Conditioner, if you thoroughly rinse your hair after use, it doesn't weigh down or leave any residue, and it leaves your hair incredibly shiny.  I love it, and the smell reminds me of summer (which is a welcome change especially when the weather decides to dip below the 40s every now and then!).  Anyway I love these products and I would highly recommend them.suave.png

laurabt

Hi etscore, 

Since you say that your hair is fine and you don't want any products that will weigh it down, I would eliminate the Alterna Caviar line.  That line is super hydrating and using it regularly will weigh your hair down.  I also have fine hair and I can only use it about once per month ( & I don't even use it that often).  The ALTERNA Bamboo Luminous Shine Shampoo & Conditioner would be great for you. It's not heavy and will make your hair shiny. 

As for the fallout you have when brushing your hair, this sounds normal to me. The denser your hair, and the shorter your anagen cycle (the growing stage of hair) the more hair you will normally lose per day. Normal hair loss can range from 50-100 hairs per day.  

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-luminous-shine-shampoo-P285155?skuId=1333533

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-luminous-shine-conditioner-P285153?skuId=1333483

etscore1

Awesome! Thank you so much for the info! I've never really known what was normal in terms of fallout. This is definitely extremely helpful!

Really the only damage I experience is eventually dry ends if I go too long without a trim. Other than that I only blow dry my hair a couple times per week and curl it 1-2 times, tops.

I think the Aveda products have been great, and I don't really want to ruin a good thing (i.e. fix what's not broken), but I guess I'm just curious if there's more potential out there that I'm missing out on. :smileyhappy:

etscore1

(0) Hearts

Topped for the morning crew... :smileyvery-happy:

ivyxox

(0) Hearts

I tried Alterna caviar shampoo and conditioner before, they are okay but definitely not worth the price.I am using alterna bamboo anti-frizz shampoo, I love the clean fresh scent, but still no better than the average drugstore shampoo. I'm kind of disappointed with Alterna's products as they really didn't do anything for my hair.

I found Kiehl's haircare products are great, especially the olive fruit line. My hair always feels super soft and smooth after using them. The whole line is silicone-free too.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • ivyxox
    • DeltaGammaGirl
    • laurabt
    • lgold25
    • etscore1
Photos1