katyed

Concealer/ Eye Cream for Dark Circles

I'm 19 years old and have hereditary purple-ish, indented dark circles. I also am noticing a little bit of crepey-ness under my eyes, probably due to squinting. I'm looking for a medium/full coverage concealer/corrector for my dark circles that can also accomodate an occasional problem I have with flakiness/dryness under my eyes. As far as concealer, I've heard good things about the Bobbi Brown Corrector, but I'm not sure what color to get and there is no Bobbi Brown counter anywhere near where I live. I'm relatively light-skinned with yellow undertones (a 117 in MUFE HD and a #20 in MUFE Mat Velvet, to get an idea)

Additionally, my under eyes are very sensitive to most eye creams and get red and irritated, so I'm looking for one that will moisturize and sooth and help with the crepey-ness.

lreagan

Re: Concealer/ Eye Cream for Dark Circles

(0) Hearts

My undereye area always looks TERRIBLE when I put concealer on my dark circles. I'm only 23 and my eyes should not be looking like alligator skin when I put makeup on them! What I found to be my HG product is Benefit's Fake Up. Keep in mind that it is NOT a full coverage concealer by any means. It's very sheer. What I do is I use it as a base for my regular concealer. Since it's extremely moisturizing, it prevents my eyes from looking all dry and nasty and lets the concealer do its job without making everything look worse.

As for concealers themselves, I just got Mac's Studio Finish SPF 35 concealer and it's done the best job in covering most of the darkness. I've tried every single brand Sephora offers and none of the supposed "best" concealers did much of anything.

Another thing that helps mine is using a pink/salmon color first to neutralize most of the darkness. Sephora offers a couple of options for this. A really nice one is Benefit's Eye Bright, which is a pink pencil and it's only around $20. More expensively is the YSL Touche Eclat in the first shade, the pink-toned one. That is marketed as a highlighter/illuminator so it's not a concealer but the pink one helps a lot in neutralizing blue/purple darkness.

So my steps are:

1. Pink toned corrector - Benefit Eye Bright or YSL Touche Eclat

2. Benefit Fake Up as a base

3. Heavy duty concealer over top (Mac)

4. Setting powder (this is CRUCIAL because every single concealer creases. They all say they're crease resistant but they all crease at some point.)

katyed

(0) Hearts

I have the same issue! But it's just occasionally. I'll have to try Fake Up, it sounds good even just for those days when I don't feel like caking on concealer. And yes I have heard of using a pink/ salmon color, that idea has always scared me though since my skin is yellow toned, but I'll have to try it out. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

alivingstone

(0) Hearts

Hi! I also have awful under eye circles. I've done a lot of experimenting lately and here is what works for me:

1. A thin layer of Bobbi Brown's corrector. This thing is amazing! It really works to neutralize my under eyes and even brightens things up a bit. When I'm having a no-makeup day (which still entails a little bit of makeup) I'll wear it alone. It is however, not without its flaws. It creases really bad on me. Like, really bad.
  2. So I top it with a layer of Mac's Prolongwear concealer. This keeps it from creasing (well, it still creases a little bit if you look really closely, but I've learned to be okay with that, and setting it with powder helps), and it lasts all day long. The two of these combined give me an almost flawless and natural coverage.

This combo is practically a HG for me. I did however take a sample of Tartes ceaseless maracuja concealer the other day. And holy mother of God. A tiny amount of this one product gives me the same effect as both of the above, plus serves to highlight. It doesn't crease either. I think this may be a new HG for me. I HIGHLY recommend checking it out. Definitely worth it!

katyed

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for those recommendations! I've been obsessed with tarte's products lately so I'll have to try it!

lovelykatya

(0) Hearts

I have heard a lot of good things about Bobbi Brown, but I personally own Eve Pearl Salmon concealer in medium (MUFE HD 120/125), so far it has worked wonders on hiding my purple/dark circles. I also use - Garnier Anti-Dark circle Roller over the Salmon concealer to brighten the under eye area.

fabme

(0) Hearts

Bobbi Brown corrector and concealers are the best.

As for eye cream I highly recommend Shiseido BioPerformance Contour Cream; the only thing that has helped keep my eyes from being dry and diminish the fine lines.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Also besides the concealer recommendations that Diana gave you, for an eye cream since your eyes are super sensitive look at Dr. Perricone's Hypoallergenic eye cream I think it would be a great match for you. Hope this helps!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I love Shiseido skincare and swear by their eye creams.  You may want to check them out- or perhaps the Origins eye cream?

I was born with very dark circles- I've found that extra moisturizing helps with the circles a lot.  Even though I'm a lot older (in my early 30s), my circles are getting better over time since I'm taking extra special care with the hydration.

Are you near a store at all?  If so, I'd go in and ask for samples to test- do you have similar reactions on your hand, for example?

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi katyed,

If you are looking at the Bobbi Brown Correctors, try using "Light Peach" or even "Porcelain Peach" which will brighten and conceal the darkness around your eyes and give you a bit of extra coverage.

Bobbi Brown - Corrector

As for an eye cream, have you looked a Ole Henriksen or Boscia? These are great gentle eye creams with a slightly more natural base of ingredients that will be less irritating if you have sensitive skin.  The more hydration you have, the least amount of lines will appear:

Boscia Enlivening  Amino AG Eye Treatment

Enlivening Amino-AG Eye Treatment

Ole Henriksen

Total Truth Vitamin C Eye Cream

Total Truth™ Vitamin C Eye Crème SPF 15

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katyed

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the color help and the reccomendations! I'll have to pick up some samples next time I'm in sephora!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 8 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • dianabt
    • fabme
    • beautylovingirl
    • starletta8
    • lreagan