MJTG

Clogged Pores

I am 35 years old and over the last few years my pores have become a huge problem. They are huge, so much so that my kids have actually said to me, "Mommy, why do you have holes all over your face?". Pretty awesome! At this point, I think every single pore on my face is clogged. Nothing has worked for me to get rid of my blackheads and really clean my pores. I'm afraid to use too many products or make-up on my face and risk clogging them up even more. I would  say I have combination skin, so I use an oil cleanser to balance it out and an overnight peel to try to smooth my skin and work on the pores, but I really need a miracle product or method. Any suggestions?

jennypenny1995

Re: Clogged Pores

I'm in my 30s, too, and whoah, have my pores gotten bigger!  Unfortunately, aging does that to us, too.  What I am finding to do the trick is 1) skin care 2) foundation, and 3) powder.  

Skin Care: Murad's blue line or Renee Rouleau (I'm a #2 type of hers and LOVE those products, which are also cheaper than Murad's)

Foundation: Tarte's 12-hour foundation.  Oh.  My.  Word.  I can't believe I've ever put anything else onto my face!

Powder: Tarte's Finishing Powder.  I use a tiny bit on my t-zone in the morning and have yet to use blotting papers mid-day.  It does seem that the longer I use it, the less I'm having to powder as time goes by.  Beautiful, flawless finish with no oxidizing into bronzey mess!

kate773

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Try giving your face a good steam, then cleanse.  Do that for a couple of days to start unclogging your pores.  Then invest in some good skin products.  The Boscia black clay peel off mask is great.  I use that once a week, you can feel it just pulling everything out of your pores as you peel it off.  I exfoliate and use Philosphy Triple-Acid peel once a week as well.  And make sure you take off your makeup EVERY NIGHT.  No skipping no matter how tired you are. 

Or you could splurge on a facial for the inital unclogging, which I would seriously recommend. Get one formulated for oily skin/clogged pores, just to initally get all the gunk out. Then start using the masks/peels/exfoliators once a week, along with a good cleanser every night. I just had my first facial ever a couple of weeks ago and its going to be a regular thing. My skin looks great and I have oily skin with large pores as well. But my pores are noticably better now that I started getting really diligent about cleansing and maintaining.

Oh yea, and stay away from oil cleansers.  I use Ren Clearcalm Clarifying Clay cleanser morning and at night (I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming foam cleanser at night BEFORE the Ren cleanser to take off the makeup first, since the clay cleanser doesn't do much to remove makeup).  It works great and makes my face feel awesome.

Lastly, the only thing you should really be sleeping with on your face is a light, oil-free, non-comedigenic moisturizer.  Neutrogena has some good ones. 

There's no overnight miracle, but if you're diligent and use good products you should start to see results in a week or two.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

No your right on that probably nothing can give you instant results. But I do know alot of people with clogged pores and black heads usually sometimes not all the time. end up with cystic acne from their pores being so clogged.Putting oil on oily skin and clogged pores is never a good thing. Hope this helps!

MJTG

(0) Hearts

actually I just started using the oil cleanser (josie maran) and it's actually helping a lot with my skin, I've noticed a lot of improvement in the past month or so, I guess I'm just looking for a miracle product with instant results, these might be slightly unrealistic expectations!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

If you are using an oil cleanser that's your down fall. Your adding more oil to the oil that is already clogging your pores. You need a cleanser that will detox your pores. Boscia's black line is one especially created for that. Keeping your pores clean is the main objective in getting them not to appear so large. Hope this helps.

Alyonochka

(0) Hearts

Try IPL Photofacial. It's a facial with a use of laser. A certain type of color of laser is used  to shrink pores and reduce oil production. You gonna need to have it every 2-3 weeks for some time before you will get desired results, and then just continue having it once in a while to keep results. 

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hello MJTG, 

I strongly suggest you try a clarifying toner and a a mud or clay based mask . These types of masks are great at cleansing out pores and sucking out excess oils from getting clogged and causing breakouts. I LOVE the Boscia Clarifying Detox Mask

swfupload_5634615292032396994.jpg

http://bit.ly/13RTYFn

As well as the new Glam Glow Super Mud Clearing Treatment where you can actually see the buildup coming out of your pores:

swfupload_4627567482413871611.jpg

http://bit.ly/YnMfHf

As for a toner to keep the pores clear and remove buildup after these masks and at the end of the day, I love the Clinique Acne Solutions if you are prone to breakouts or want something to realy keep out bacteria:

swfupload_1584640361431724158.jpg

http://bit.ly/14OjDe6

And the Dr. Brandt pores no more poresolution clarifying lotion

swfupload_3949341884193802169.jpg

http://bit.ly/Y56rl7

Try using a clay mask every other night and use the toner after each time you wash your face.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

Look for a toner that contains witch hazel, a natural astringent to clear pores, such as Murad's Purifying Toner.

Also, Boscia's Black kit uses charcoal to detox skin from sebum, oil, and bacteria (their mask works like the Origins Charcoal Mask that Beautytester mentioned) by drawing out impurities to minimize the appearance of pores.

You can also look into extractions from a skin care therapist, aesthetician, or dermatologist. They cleanse, steam, extract, sanitize, and moisturize skin in a special process where they pinch/squeeze out the oxidized trappings in pores. Extractions can range in a light pressure to a mild pinching sensation since they use a combination of finger tips and an extraction tool to press and apply pressure to clogged areas to expel the dirt/trappings.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

--

jennypenny1995

"Moisture = Good; Oil = Bad".  Excellent point!  Wish more peeps realized that there IS a difference!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Yay Clinique toner! Toner 2 user right here (toner 3 is too strong/stings my face/make skin flaky, and I like the minty/fresh feeling especially in the summer).

ChicDabbler

Hmm, I prefer oil cleanser as 1st step of double cleanse, altho I usually go for foamy cleanser if I'm only cleansing once since oil cleanser combined with moisturizer is too rich for me and tend to clog my pores. You can try a different cleanser like Clarins Gentle foaming cleanser.

If your problem is just clogged pore but not oil or anything else, have you tried a mud/clay/charcoal mask? They are kind of the standard for oily skin. The two masks I've felt the most effect at drawing out stuff from pores are Origins Charcoal and GlamGlow Black. They are much more effective right after a shower when your skin is soft and you can definitely feel it tighten and draw things out. The Origin draw things out by softening the cloggers while GlamGlow Black is a mask+exfoliator in 1 and when you rinse off, you gently scrub to help dislodge whatever stubborn thing is still on there.

Unfortunately they were unable to make a sample of Wei for me, but I know you will definitely feel a difference from Origins Charcoal and GlamGlow Black masks (altho your kids might be wondering why you have grey mud on your face, lol).

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

Supposedly the new Wei face mask is really good for clearing out pores, although I've not tried it.

Honestly if it is that bad you may need to see a dermatologist. They can sometimes recommend facial scrubs. 

Are you using the peel everynight? That is way too often and might make your skin irritated and more oily, leading to more clogging. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • triciaann12
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl