veritabelle

Cleansers good for acne?

(0) Hearts

Hey all!

I have had some horrible breakouts lately (white bumps with a few enflamed pimples) and have used a cleanser with 2% salicylic acid, Murad anti acne and wrinkle serum and finished with Murad moisture.  My skin just got worse.  A family member let me use a face wash that only had natural ingredients with no treatment, and my skin is doing much better.  So- I'm thinking- the common denominator in my acne regimen over the years has been salicylic acid.  Is it causing me to break out?  I am 33, so I want to steer clear of harsh products.  Can you recommend a healing regiment that is good for aging skin that is combo with acne like flare ups?

daisybabe22

Re: Cleansers good for acne?

benzoyl peroxide in a gel and salicylic moisturizer in the morning. benzoyl at night to be left on. wash your face with any soap and glory cleanser. this really works, my skin looks flawless now!!!!

carolang

Hey! It wouldn't let me respond to your response on my comment. I actually am currently finishing up a bottle of Clinique's toner in #3... if you aren't sensitive to toner's you might  like it, and it has some salicylic acid in the toner so might be a good option if you don't want to completely step down from no treatment in the AM on some days. Also note it does have alcohol in it - so some people might say its a harsh toner but it still makes me feel like my face is clean despite not using a cleanser on it which, even though my skin is oily/combo, my skin always feels tight after cleanser. I am thinking about trying out just plain witch hazel after I finish this bottle. And I use Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel (not "lotion") as its intended for oily skin. Sometimes I do have to pat a little extra around my mouth where I get dry though. Loving this new regimen so far! It's really helped in preventing the skin peeling of my normal skin areas. And I haven't broken out more.

Manda

Salicylic Acid tends to be harsh at times, especially if your skin is sensitive.  I personally cannot use it because of that.  Instead, I use a cheaper, much more cost efficient way to clear my acne: Witch Hazel.  If you do go with this method, you might want to make sure that there is no alcohol in it, which can sometimes increase the problems.  There are some Witch Hazel toners out there and they work very well.

nathaliew

I have acne prone skin, but it's very sensitive, so salicylic acid only makes it worse. One thing that has really helped me is that I take one capsule of omega 3 every night before I go to sleep. I know that it's not a product tip, but since you are looking for something natural, and that won't irritate you skin, taking a supplement might actually be really helpful. (plus it's good for you hair, not to mention your heart ^^)

carolang

Hey there! you might actually be exacerbating your skin condition by over-doing your regimen... thats what I found was happening to me. I have mild acne... I always seem to have a lot of tiny bumps but nothing too terribly noticeable which I guess I should be happy with... but I found that I was going crazy reading all these boards and trying way too many drying things on my skin, causing it to go overboard on oil production, etc. I also found that by drying my skin out so much it was starting to look more aged, yikes (I have combo skin as well so this was particularly affecting the normal skin parts).

What I would recommend for you is to take a step back and dial it down. I agree with the sulfur-based recommendations - I use a sulfur mask (the Proactiv one) once a week. I also use a charcoal mask once a week (I find this one helps with oil production/detoxes). Something new I am trying out as recommended to me by an esthetician at a local skincare office is to not wash my face with harsh cleansers as much. I had already started doing this - I used to use a cleanser with an exfoliating particle in it (nothing harsh like an apricot scrub) but getting rid of that helped my skin - a lot. What they recommended to me though was to only wash my face with a salicylic acid twice a week max... so since I use my clarisonic 2x week that is when I will use that. Otherwise in the morning they told me to only wash my face with water... yikes! Being oily/putting a lot of products on at night - this worried me - but you follow the water rinse with a toner. Just plain witch hazel will do. At night I use Origins Checks and Balances which is a nice creamy face wash that still will get rid of the oil slick feeling. I am really digging this new regimen and I think its helped me a lot - especially since I always forget acne prone skin is sensitive skin, so I need to be a lot more gentle. If my skin is particularly bad I will use a 5.5% benzoyl peroxide product at night. But I do feel like the sulfur mask treatment is the most beneficial to my skin in keeping it clear (I used to get more noticeable white heads, but with that mask + clarisonic twice a week I never get big white heads anymore!!).

Since you have been using that regimen for a while now I would definitely consider reducing what you are using. It seems counterintuitive, but I really think all those drying products were making my skin go crazy and making me look older, which I do not want!

Good luck! 

veritabelle

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the advice!  I am going to try that.  I wash my face at night and in the morning- but when you think about it...why wash in the morning???  My face doesn't get dirty while sleeping?!  Do you use plain witch hazel?  And what moisture are you using?

DTalksAll

It can produce more oil, and you can get dirt from your pillow case/sheets. Use a mild cream cleanser in the morning. 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I agree, use a mild cream cleanser in the morning, nothing harsh.  You are putting more products on your face at night and the remnants are still there, and if you're getting dirt from your pillowcase/sheets, it could well have come from your face in the first place.  Why wash your hair or body in the morning?  You still produce oils, etc, and they should be cleaned.  But be gentle with your skin and it will like you better.

infinitise

I personally think its important to use a gentle yet effective cleanser. I feel that when I don't exfoliate the dead skins, i break out alot more. 

I use philosophy exfoliating wash daily (its gentle enough to let me do) cleansing oil to wash my makeups well, and the origins checks and balances. 

my skin is alot better than when i was using salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide 

miabt

Hi Veritabelle,

Depending on how long you've been using the Murad regime, your skin might just be purging impurities in your skin.  It took my face about a month to get used to the products when I switched from the Kate Somerville acne line to Murad, as it seems a bit stronger.  If the Murad is too strong for your skin, you may want to try the KS line, as it did help balance my skin :smileyhappy:  Like RisingLuna mentioned, the KS Eradikate is a fantastic spot treatment!  I'd definitely suggest giving the line a try :smileyhappy:

xo, Mia

veritabelle

(0) Hearts

Mia-

I have been using the product since February.  I don't think my skin is purging now since I started months ago.  I will look into the KS line.  However, I have noticed that removing products with salicylic acid have helped!

miabt

You might have better luck with something sulfur based instead :smileywink:  You might also want to check with your derm to see what they suggest trying and/or removing from your routine :smileyhappy:

veritabelle

(0) Hearts

Thank you!  Can you think of a sulphur based cleanser?

miabt

I would try the KS Blemish Banisher Kit, as the cleanser is gentle on the rest of your face & the Eradikate  spot treats with the sulfur.  You want to be careful not to overdo it & irritate your face.  I've gone the route of "harsh" methods to try to clear my face & I can tell you for sure, it was not a pretty sight!  

Kate Somerville - Blemish Banisher Kit

RisingLuna

I also tried Murad for a few months. It worked pretty well with my...extremely oily skin. But even for someone with my skin type I always found that the Cleanser stripped away too much moisture. The Moisturizer in my opinion was light, but it didn't do much for my skin...and hardly mattified it. Have you tried the acne cleanser by Kate Somerville. Its actually a detox cleanser, it controls oil production, without stripping the skin and kills bacteria. Their acne spot treatment is pretty effective as well. Hope that helps a bit. ^^

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • nathaliew
    • veritabelle
    • Manda
    • mafan
    • RisingLuna