twig5597

Chapped Lips 911!

Winter wind has been destroying my lips! What is the best lip treatment for chapped lips?

kemoca

Re: Chapped Lips 911!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I scoffed at/lusted after the Bite Beauty Agave Mask forever, really wanted it, but couldn't get past the price. I am one of those people who has the super gross habit of chewing on and picking at the skin on my lip. so i always have these gross red patches on my lips where i picked or chewed at it and the new skin has yet to grow back. 

the reason i give you this disgusting back story is because the agave lip mask thing is amazing. it's not just like crazy moisturizing/protective, but it actually heals my gross red patches crazy fast. its like it has magical healing properties. seriously. and its hard to impress me when it comes to lip balms/treatments. 

http://www.sephora.com/agave-lip-mask-P384629?skuId=1575042

waverlyred

(0) Hearts

The best products I have found that actually seems to heal my lips rather than just glossing over the peeling, is Vaseline Lip Therapy in Rosy Lips at night and Jack Black Black Tea and Blackberry Lip Balm Tube during the day. The combination works like a charm!

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Twig,

I love the Sephora Collection Super Nourishing Lip Balm, it just melts onto your lips and leaves them feeling hydrated for hours.

http://www.sephora.com/super-nourishing-lip-balm-P286029?skuId=1303783

<3 Melissa
lyndsey

(0) Hearts

I love TokyoMilk Dark lip elixir in salted caramel. I slather it on before bed and my lips are super awesome in the morning! 

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=TOKYOMILK%20DARK%20Femme%20Fatale%20Collect...

Joannimation

(0) Hearts

After reading almost every response from these dry lip threads, I went out and bought 1) Nivea Lip Butter in Caramel Kiss; 2) Vaseline Lip Therapy - Rosy Lips; and 3) Aquaphor Lip Repair + Protect (SPF 30 for an added bonus). I started using these 3 on the same day - keeping the Vaseline Lip Therapy and Aquaphor Lip Repair at my desk at work and using Nivea Lip Butter on the go and before I go to bed at night. I saw improved results overnight! Before the corners of my lips were ALWAYS chapped to the point where eating a burger would sting because the condiments would irritate the cracks, but now my lips are super soft and there's no chapping or cracking. When I wake up in the morning, there's still some itchiness, probably from the lip butter wearing off throughout the night, but it's 100% better than it was before.

I just got Jack Black's lip therapy (Black Tea & Blackberry) yesterday. While it made my lips SUUUUPER SOFT - the softest they've ever been, the corners of my lips started cracking already. I so wanted to love this product, but it looks like it's not going to do any repair on my lips.

Side note about the Aquaphor. While I think this is the most effective at keeping my lips from chapping, it has a somewhat strong cosmetic taste. Not like you're tasting lip gloss, but like you're tasting your face cream. To avoid this issue, I do the lipstick trick - wrapping your lips around a finger and pulling out the finger to wipe away any excess product inside your mouth.

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

yes yes yes to the rosebud salve/ the strawberry 

janinebt

Hi twig5597,

I HATE that! Owies. I'd recommend using Bite's Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub to help rapidly hydrate your lips while it gently removes the dead skin. Next I'd suggest keeping a tin of Rosebud Salve on you at all times to keep your lips in tip top shape.

upload_111795951572025090.jpg

upload_4224854395760365690.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Sn4rky

(0) Hearts

Yes, yes, yes!! The Rosebud salve is the BEST! Highly recommended

rushofbeauty

I recently tried the bioderma lip butter... its hard to get your hands on but it works miracles! 

If you can't get that, I would recommend either the Nivea lip butters or anything from Rosebud Perfume Co. I like the Strawberry lip balm but it mostly just because I love the smell. They all work just as well. 

BabyD0LL1982

Carmex stings soooo bad, i couldn't get it off fast enough. I actually like making my own lip scrub with raw honey and brown sugar and I love love love Jack Black Intense Therapy lip balm (sephora). I have Blackberry and Black tea. It is only $7.50 and made my lips sooo soft. It really soaked in there. I started using this after my lips had swollen up from an allergic reaction making them raw,cracked,dry and sensitive to everything and nothing made them feel moisturized. But that Jack Black balm helped and I use it everyday now, plus it has an spf of 25. good luck <3

leolion

Did you see Bite Beauty's new agave lip treatment?  I've been looking at it myself, and the reviews are great, so far.

PinkQ

(0) Hearts

The Dior Creme de Rose is the BEST lip balm I've ever used! Its moisturizing effect is super long lasting, plus the smell is heaven :smileyhappy:

yazmin

People have told me when chapped lips happen is due to dehydration. I have suffered in the past with chapped lips and this year so far so good, I make sure to drink water throughout the day.

mia135

(0) Hearts

I have tried SO MANY different kinds of chapsticks. I have purchased the Soap & Glory A Great Kisser Lip Moisture Balm at the beginning of December and I am obsessed. It keeps my lips moisturized and looking fabulous. upload_3889453673976960309.jpg

charpic

[ Edited ]

IMO, Carmex never fails!

Cult Classic would be the Rosebud Salve, which is basically tinted, perfumed Vaseline.  Reason why Vaseline helps?  While it doesn't moisturize, Vaseline does help to seal in the moisture, which protects your damaged lips from drying out even more and gives them time to recover.  Or at least that's how I think it works.  

Try looking for ingredients such as vitamin E, aloe vera extract, shea butter, avocado butter, or cocoa butter in lip products because these are moisturizing emollients (basically softens your skin).  <---Basically, look for oils and butters!!!

Menthol is kind of a meh ingredient.  It can irritate the skin of some, while others swear by it.  I think it helps with pain because of the cooling sensation, but other than that, it doesn't do much.  

Humectants, such as urea or glycerin (basically a sugar) are a must as well.  Humectants are pretty much things that promote absorption of moisture.  

Dimethicone is also a must have ingredient which helps to prevent drying and is anti-bacterial, which makes your products last longer as well.  

Sugar scrubs help clear away the dead skin on top of your lips so that the more moisturizing lip products can actually penetrate and do their thing.  Sugar is also a humectant (back to glycerin!), so your lips are better at absorbing moisture after using a sugar scrub.  However, I would steer clear of these if your lips are already cracked/bleeding for the obvious reason that it's probably going to hurt a lot. 

You shouldn't grow too dependent on chapsticks or lip treatments though, or else your lips will always be chapped without them.

saturnwings

(0) Hearts

Hooray for a Carmex shout-out!!  I love good old Carmex.  Never fails and dirt cheap.

charpic

(0) Hearts

Yep!  Proof that more expensive=/=better

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Wow, thank you so much for this really wonderful lip balm break down!! I feel like I'll have a lot easier time trying to figure out which products are genuinely helpful.  You rule <3!

charpic

(0) Hearts

You're welcome!  I'm glad I helped ^_^

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm in love with Philosophy Kiss Me Tonight. When I purchased it last it was in a 3 pc kit with a lip scrub and a Kiss Me gloss. I absolutely Love Kiss Me Tonight, it worked wonders for me. After trying a number of brands, including good old Vaseline, I was no better off and a little discouraged. This did the trick for me though.

Haven't purchased it in over a year, they've been discontinuing some things, hope this isn't one of them!! Yikes!

I hope this helps you out, good luck with this. :smileyhappy:

ps - stay away from medicated products, things with menthol & camphor might initially help but after a little while it ends up making things worse.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • mia135
    • saturnwings
    • melissabt
    • janinebt
    • kssweetheart