Answer
Bunnytroubles
Can't find a foundation that will stay put!

Ok so i'm getting married September of this year so i've been on the hunt for a foundation that will not only last the whole night but look great for photos. I don't have a lot of acne but I do have some redness so it needs to cover that as well.

Here's the thing i've tried the following with no luck:

Kat Von D Foundation - great coverage but wipes right off within an hour!

MUFE matte foundation - matte for like an hour and then wipes right off

And yes i've even used a primer under both of these. Whats crazy is I don't even really have super oily skin yet they both slide right off. I'm not sure if I need to be using a setting powder or spray or both? HALLLPPPP!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 10
mxcx
Answered

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! ((: 

I have super oily skin that turns to an oil slick a couple hours after I wash my face, so I totally know what you're talking about. I really really recommend:

1. Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer
This is amazing, and used in conjunction with the next product I'm going to mention, it helps your makeup stay so much longer. It also counteracts redness a little and feels amazing on your skin.

2. Hourglass Immaculate Foundation
I've probably tried most of the "mattifying" foundation at Sephora, and this is the only one that comes close to matching my oily skin. It dries down to a matte, powdery finish, and stays on so much longer than any of the other foundations I've tried without looking super cakey and just sliding off my face. Even if you don't try the primer I mentioned above (because I know Hourglass products are super pricey), definitely try this foundation!

3. Urban Decay DeSlick Setting Spray
This is a spray you spritz on before you put on makeup as a toner/primer and then again after you're done applying all your makeup. It gives everything a really natural finish and extends the life of your foundation.

4. Tarte Smooth Operator Setting Powder
This helps with the oiliness, although I've heard that some people like the Makeup Forever Microfinish Powder better. If you need extra coverage, I also find that setting a powder foundation on top of your liquid foundation helps it stay in place really well! I used to always do this when I needed some extra coverage.

I really recommend going to your nearest Sephora and scheduling a makeover/trial with one fo the associates because they can also recommend what kind of looks might be a good well for your wedding day and try on some of the products for you. They're really fantastic, but I would suggest calling and scheduling a time in advance since you might have a lot to discuss (in my experience, they're usually less busy on weekday mornings if you're able to make it around then).

Again, congratulations and I really hope you find the right products soon for your big day! ^_____^

mafan
Answered

What primer did you use with the KVD foundation?  I was told that her Elixir primer was formulated to work specifically with that foundation, so you might try that to see if it stays on better.  (Personally it was too heavy for me to want to buy, but when the MUA tried it on me it stayed on and covered my redness.)

DesertRose0706
Answered

I would get a sample of Estee Lauders Double foundation. it stays in place all day, stays matte all day, has great coverage and a georgeous finish. I never use a face primer (i don't find that they do much for me) and this foundation stays in place all day long, and has almost no transfer.  I've tried many high end foundations in teh last several months looking for the best full coverage foundation, and Estee Lauder Double Wear has one me over mainly due to its awesome staying power.

I am not sure how it photographs though, so definetely get a sample to play with and take photos in to make sure it is the best one for a wedding!

BayR
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have redness on my cheeks no matter what, and i usually just put on powder and blush when i go to school, ect. I wanted to find a great foundation to use, and I bought the Dolce and Gabbana Perfect Matte Liquid Foundation with Ensulizole Sunscreen. It really covered my redness and a few black heads on my nose, I have never had acne problems. I put on Gretchen Christine Matte Natural powder to top it off to make my skin look flawless! I use a Bella Terra foundation brush to apply my liquid foundation and then use my Naked Urban Decay Flushed palett for my bronzer, blush, and highlighter.  I know the Dolce & Gabbana foundation is expensive but I've used it everyday for the past 2 mothes and have barley put a dent in it! I highly suggest buying the foundation! - Bay

lylysa
Answered
(0) Hearts

Which primers have you tried?

Try looking into Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Foundation, it gives great coverage like KVD and MUFE, has a matte finish to keep you from looking too shiny, and isn't heavy on the skin.

HD or silica based powders are great for finishing and topping off your make up, but aren't meant to be reapplied constantly as too much in application leads to the silica particles sitting on top of one another leaving a white cast on skin when flash photography is used. When a fine amount is applied, the silica particles lay evenly on skin in a thin layer, which helps to diffuse and disperse light in a more flattering fashion, minimizing pores, fine lines, uneven texture, and mattifying skin. MUFE, NARS, Too Faced, Smashbox, Tarte, and Urban Decay all make versions of this.

Try a setting spray, MUFE, Urban Decay, and KVD make variations (UD has a few types you can pick to best suit your skin type.

bearsmom
Answered
(0) Hearts

idealy, a setting powder would do the trick.  The new sprays are really great, too!!  My top, top, top recommendation is airbrush makeup.  Sephora sells Temtu or for less money try Dinair.  Both are great.  You can buy the whole kit and use it correctly or save a few bucks and buy just the foundation.  If you buy just the foundation, use your hand to rub it in circular monitors starting around the center of your face.  You have to work quickly because it dries so fast.  Or get a makeup artist.  It's your big day, what better time for a professional??  (If you're in Texas pm me...). My cousin did my wedding makeup and used Mary Kay foundation topped with Bare Minerals and it lasted all night and the next morning!!!  (Yes, I did sleep in it that one night...)

BellaKroll
Answered
(0) Hearts

If you aren't setting the Kat Von D with a setting powder then that's most likely why its sliding right off. I have used KAt Von D's foundation for a year and whenever I put a powder over it I don't have to reapply make up the entire day, but when I forget the powder my face gets oily and the foundation tends to wipe right off

beautylovingirl
Answered
(0) Hearts

If Kat Von D is coming off then you definitely need a primer I love Bare Minerals Primer time Primer and I also set with the HD powder from MUFE. All you need is what's left in the lid after you open it and then roll your brush across your forehead, nose, cheeks and chin and it will give you a perfect finish. Also on the Kat Von D foundation use only one pump for your whole face and make sure you blend quickly because it dries really fast. Hope this helps!

janinebt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Bunnytroubles,

I have relatively oily skin as well so I feel your pain!

What primers have you been using with these foundations?

Whimsically yours,
Janine
starletta8
Answered
(0) Hearts

Everyone is on the right track- what primers have you tried?

Also- make sure your foundation is SPF-free (for flash photography).

I swear by Guerlain Meterorites Powder as a setting, mattifying powder.

Question Stats
  • 10 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • janinebt
    • bearsmom
    • lylysa
    • mafan
    • beautylovingirl
    • starletta8
    • DesertRose0706
    • mxcx