andyhtrieu

Brush cleaning

I know there has to be a ton of threads about brush cleaning, but I have a specific problem. Whenever I clean my buffing brushes, there's always a few spots in the middle of the brush that don't get clean at all. Even after washing it multiple times. 

I don' t know if you can see it very well, but the middle of the brush is still dirty with foundation

BuxomBabe80

Re: Brush cleaning

I use a clarifying shampoo on mine and it works like a charm. I've had some of my brushes for almost 15 years and they are still in excellent shape. Right now I'm using one from Pantene. 

jillybean77

Hi Andy,

I noticed you said you use Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation, which is very long wearing and quite difficult to get out of a foundation brush.  I recommend using Take It Away makeup solvent from Estee Lauder to clean your brush.  It's meant to dissolve Double Wear Foundation and works like a charm.  Ask for a sample at the counter and let me know how it goes for you :smileyhappy:

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Hi andy!

You have already received some great suggestions! I also recommend trying Beautyblender's Solid Sponge Cleanser. I use this for all of my brushes, not just my beautyblender. I have had some brushes that have been stained with product for years and when I washed them with this cleanser they were completely brand new looking! I was amazed. :smileyhappy:

Best,
Randee
cdiamond

I use the beauty blender solid cleanser and it gets everything out! Maybe you could try that.

buzzbee3

A little bit of Boscia's Make Up Break Up. That stuff is awesome! Trust me! All you need is a dab, rinses clean and doesn't leave any residue. I had a sample of it from sephora and I cleaned my foundation brushes for like a month  :smileyhappy:

quixotic

I'm going to echo beautytester here and recommend you use a little cleansing oil on your brush before you wash it.  I rub a little DHC cleansing oil (olive, almond or coconut oil will work to) in my brushes before I wash them, as the oil really breaks down/loosens up any product left in the brush. I just rub a little oil into the bristles, wait a few minutes for the oil to work, and then wash (I use the Sephora shampoo) and everything comes out, though it may take more than one lathering. Hope this helps!

jojobe

(0) Hearts

You can also soak it in olive oil or coconut oil overnight and then work diligently but gently. This requires time and effort and I really would not be using these on other people if they are not all the way clean. Seriously . That is gross. 

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]

This is my own brush. I would never use dirty brushes on other people. 

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

You better get busy cleaning! :smileyvery-happy:

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hmmmm....I Can see it. What kind of foundation are you using with this brush and what are you using to clean it? I use powders/minerals and haven't had a problem like this. I use Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser to wash my brushes (it's my regular cleanser) and it does a really good job. I do have to wash it a number of times and rinse like crazy, but then it's totally clean.

I wonder if it could be an issue with the brush itself? I don't know if this is doable or a good option, but I was just wondering what would happen if you took a good sharp scissor and snipped off the tips of those certain annoying bristles.(I have a specific hair cutting scissor that I used to use to trim my bangs and it's great) Just wondering what would happen. Do you remember who makes that brush? This is really perplexing.

ChicDabbler

I wouldn't recommend trimming it. You know how synthetic brushes are softer than real hair in general? That's because with synthetic the tip of the hair is often pointy (the good ones anyways) like this /\ while most real hair brushes are cut so the tip is like || except for the higher quality ones where they try to use the tip and match the hair by hand etc. It's like how the baby hair on your head is softer than cut hair. Basically if your brush is good quality and very soft, trimming it will make that area less soft. And what are you gonna do the next time you use it and it stains? unless you are trying to DIY this brush, lol.

upload_3865343573620217178.jpg

You don't need a $10+ brush cleanser. I'm currently using whatever facial cleanser I don't want to use, but before that I used L'oreal 360 Go Clean Deep facial cleanser (~$5 and comes with a silicone pad that everyone recommends). Any cleanser that's good at getting rid of grease will do.

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

@beautytester

:smileyvery-happy: You crack me up - what a great DIY "after" pic. :smileyvery-happy: 

I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea or not, just thought I'd throw it out there. Wonder if trying it on an inexpensive brush or one you just don't really use/like might be an interesting DIY experiment.

Thanks for the great laugh. :smileyvery-happy:

ps - I like your panda, but I really miss your intelligent hedgehog. Hope you're doing well. :smileyhappy:

andyhtrieu

I use NARS Sheer Glow, Estee Lauder Double Wear, and Clinique Stay Matte with this brush. It happens to a few of my other dense buffing brushes too. Lately I've been using hand soap and baby shampoo because I really don't want to spend more than $10 for something to clean my brushes. 

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

Are these liquid foundations? What type of cleanser do you use on your face? I use the Purity on my brushes since I use it on my face, that way I'm not spending extra $$ for a brush cleaner.

andyhtrieu

Yea. those are all liquid foundations. I use Clean & Clear Daily Poor Cleanser, which a cleanser/scrub hybrid because it has small beads for gentle exfoliation. I tried using it to wash my brushes before and it worked quite well. I just wasn't sure if it was 'safe' for brushes. My logic was "if it can get makeup off of my face, it should be able to get makeup out of my brushes" :smileyvery-happy:

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

I feel the same way - if it's good enough for my face, it's hopefully good enough for my brushes! I wonder if it would work on that stubborn spot? I think as long as you don't leave the cleanser on the brush for a long period of time and you rinse the heck out of it, you should be okay. I wouldn't tell you to do it if it wasn't something I'd do myself.  Wish I could be more helpful, but I don't use liquid foundations and wonder if that makes a difference. Let me know if you try it. :smileyhappy:

nightknight

In between washes, I usually spray and wipe my brushes using Sephora's Brush Cleanser. When it's time to wash, I usually use No.4's Clarifying shampoo, since I've found that this shampoo gets rid of residue like no other! I made the mistake of washing my hair with this shampoo after I just colored it, it immediately removed all of the dye from my hair and hands. I make sure to scrub into the bristles to make sure it all comes out nice and clean. This usually gets everything out in one wash.

Mariahk83

Since I can't even see your posts on IMK anymore, so I can't answer it there - you should probably find a more deep cleaning brush cleaner, something like what Kevin suggested and you need to be sure to get down into the middle of the brush, let the brush cleaner sit for a few minutes to break the makeup up if you have it (don't leave it sitting in water though).

ChicDabbler

The same happens with my dense foundation brushes, Real Technique and UD Good Karma, since I don't really clean them until weeks later. I do double cleanse with a silicone scrubber pad (the pink one sephora carries, or I have the one that comes with L'oreal 360 Go Clean cleansers, almost same price but you get an extra bottle of facial cleanser, that I use as brush cleanser). 

1. After every use, swirl/wipe it on a paper towel to get ride of most excess foundation.

2. When cleansing, I use an oil cleanser first to break up the foundation, then normal foamy cleanser to get the oily residue out. In both cases, swirl the brush on the silicone pad for a minute or so. It gets any and every foundation out (as in I've been testing a dozen foundation packets of different high end brands and have been able to get all of them out after a week of neglect *knocks on wood*).

infinitise

I don't use baby shampoo anymore because it takes longer, but I do use organic shampoos, beauty blender cleansers and Dr.Bronner's soap. 

I normally don't have this problem, but using Dr.Bronners soap for foundation, eyeliners, and concealers brush really helps. it gets the initial stuff out, so I only have to get the rest bit out with a shampoo or BB cleanser. 

I also think its important to take time to swirl the brush on to the palms of the hands. it really does get to everything 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • quixotic
    • jojobe
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • ChicDabbler
    • kssweetheart
    • nightknight