Carmen1986

Brush Suggestions.

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone, 

So I have an appointment for a 90 minute private one on one makeover/consultation at Sephora here in Toronto. Now I am making a list of products/quesitons for the person who  I will be seeing. 

They say you must spend $ 125 but we know that in order to revamp ones cosmetic collection it's going to be a bit costly which is fine by me. 

So I need your suggestions on EXCELLENT quality brushes. I want brushes that don't shed much, aren't going to be irratating, and are going to give flawless and precise application.

So I am not needing any eyeshadow brushes because I already own the essential brushes from MAC for that. 

I need to get the following brushes.

1.) Blush Brush

2.) Foundation Brush - one that works for liquid/creme/powder/mineral 

3.) Powder Brush 

4.) Eyeliner Brushes - for applying eyeliner to waterline/tightline and general eyeliner application to eyelid

5.) Primer Brush 

6.) Lip brush

7.) Brow brush/Spooly

8.) Concealer Brush

and any other brushes I might be forgetting. I don't use bronzer or contour or highlight. Mostly because I don't know how to use them or if they'd look good on me. 

Thanks ! 

ChicDabbler

Re: Brush Suggestions.

(0) Hearts

Foundation brush - Urban Decay Good Karma Optical Blurring (works with liquid/cream/powder). It has dense bristles and is med sized so you can build up your foundation coverage and it's easy to menuver around. 

http://www.sephora.com/good-karma-optical-blurring-brush-P374829

Powder brush - Too Faced Powder Pouf or Kabuki. Both are super soft and definitely worth checking out. Kabuki is great for traveling. 

http://www.sephora.com/powder-pouf-brush-P266709?skuId=1267095

http://www.sephora.com/retractable-kabuki-brush-P190257?skuId=1023258

Concealer - Sephora Collection pro airbrush. I can never get concealers right with the flat hard brush, this gives a natural finish. I love it. http://www.sephora.com/pro-airbrush-concealer-brush-57-P313020?skuId=1419480

You don't use brush for primers, just apply it like you would moisturizers. No preference for blush, eyeliner or lip brush. For brow brush, I use clean mascara wand (favorite wand is Covergirl lashblast, and Maybelline).

orangepekoe

(0) Hearts

swfupload_631614211697318908.jpg

For concealer I HIGHLY recommend the Sephora Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush #57. In fact, since I've joined beautytalk, it seems like all I ever do is push this brush! My concealer used to crease like crazy on me before I found this brush. What I love is how it lets you build in light layers for desired coverage, and buffs it in a way that makes it seamless. I've gotten sheer sub-par concealers to go up to medium coverage with this brush without looking cakey! Everyone needs this brush in their life! :smileytongue:

As for foundation, I agree with kimchikween. Urban Decay's Good Karma Optical Blurring brush is a good one! Gives an airbrushed finish and works with both liquid and powder foundation. I've seen it compared to the Sephora Classic Mineral Powder Brush #45, which others use for liquid foundation as well. There are two versions of that brush, but I'm not sure what the difference is. Perhaps the newer one (Item # 1504356) dries faster? I will say that the drying time is an issue for both UD's brush and the original Sephora Mineral Powder #45. Once I started cleaning my UD brush with alcohol (as per Urban Decay's recommendation) it sped it up considerably. Just a heads up. :smileyhappy:

If drying time is an issue for you, I hear that the Hourglass Foundation/Blush brush No. 2 is a similar product (possibly better?) with a much shorter drying time. Karen at Makeup & Beauty Blog has a review singing it's praises! Be sure to check if this one is available at your store first, since not all of their brushes are available at all stores.

Hope this helps!

laurabt

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Carmen,

I personally have almost the entire line of Sephora Collection Pro brushes, and they are all excellent quality (much better than the MAC brushes I have). They blend products beautifully, the brush hairs never fall out, and they are really easy to clean. I highly recommend them.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

The Pro Flawless Airbrush #56 is great for both liquid and powder foundations:

SC Pro Flawless Airbrush #56.jpg

My favorite brush of them all is the Pro Angled Blush Brush #49. Haven't found another blush brush that compares.

SC Pro Angled Blush Brush #49.jpg

kimchikween

The pro line of sephora brushes are mostly good.  Urban Decay's Good Karma brush is good for foundation.  I use my fingers for primer.

ghkim

i like the sephora brushes for foundation, powder, and concealer (45, 55, 56, 57). i think it depends on what lines your sephora carries, but i would look at the makeup forever brushes, particularly if they have the new ones, and also the illamasqua brushes. i have a blush brush from illamasqua that i love. for a brow brush, i just use the one that's on the other end of my brow pencil (anastasia). for lips, i've never had one that i absolutely love.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler
    • orangepekoe
    • ghkim
    • laurabt
    • kimchikween
    • Carmen1986