RisingLuna

Breaking out everytime i use makeup T.T

I LOVE* makeup, but i only put it on days where i actually have to go out and meet people. Ha ha. I find that every single time i apply makeup, ill have like...3-6 new pimples the evening and morning after i apply it. On normal days without makeup i still get one or two occasional breakouts, but its not as bad. Is it my makeup that is causing this? Can anyone please* recommend me a foundation(Or bb/cc cream) and a concealer? ><

** Products currently using **

Skincare:

Kate Sommerville Detox Cleanser

Sk-II Clear lotion

Sk-II Essence

DDG Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Serum

Clinique Gel Lotion or Algenist Overnight Restoration Cream

Makeup:

SmashBox BB cream (Sometimes ill use a primer and Lancome Teinte Idole Foundation instead)

HG concealer(Very rarely, Ill use KVD concealer)

waterbaby1981

Re: Breaking out everytime i use makeup T.T

(0) Hearts

another thing to consider is how many of your products say fragrance or parfum in their ingredient list?  It's usually near the end if they do.  The only one I know for sure is fragrance free is Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel that you listed, but I'm not sure about the others.

trulykelsie

(0) Hearts

I agree with everyone else- it is most likely your skincare products that are breaking you out. After a month of trying to figure what was breaking me out, I finally realized it was my LRP Effaclear Duo... A product that's supposed to be an acne spot treatment. After ceasing use for a few days, my skin looks immensely better. 

I would recommend you pare your skincare routine down to one gentle cleanser and perhaps an acne spot treatment- REN 3 ClearCalm Clarifying Clay Cleansr and ExfoliKate are two great products that I recommend. 

If you do this and see that your skin has improved after a week or so, you know that it was one of your products. I would slowly start adding them in one-by-one, waiting a few days in between. That way, you can pinpoint the culprit. 

But, like Trys  said, several of your products are similar and should not be used at the same time. So be sure you're paying attention to that. I know it could feel like you need to use 10+ products to achieve perfect skin! but I've noticed that less really is more. Stick to what you need, when you need it. 

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I think you've already gotten amazing advice, all of which I completely agree with (regarding the overuse of skincare products), but I just wanted to point out that one thing a lot of people don't take into account when changing their skincare/face makeup routines is that it can take your skin a fairly long time to adjust to a new regiment!  I definitely think you should decrease your product usage, but don't be surprised if you don't see a difference for at least two weeks.  While you're reducing your skincare use, I'd also recommend avoiding change in makeup - your skin is going to be adjusting to a new routine, so it's not necessarily the best time to start changing up a ton of other things at the same time!

In other words, I'd take the advice you've been given, then after about 2 - 6 weeks, start experimenting with makeup.  That way you'll really be able to see what works and what irritates your skin!

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The product should say oil-free and non-comedogenic/non-clogging/non irritant/Non-acnegenic etc.

• Kate Sommerville Detox Cleanser - is an exfoliate you could be overdoing it, if using every day, try twice a week
  • Sk-II Clear lotion - has similar ingredients to Kate's - too much exfoliation, if used with Kate
  • DDG again Salicylic Acid which is an exfoliate; also in the aboves
  • Clinique in general not a fan of..their products are not for sensitive skin
  • EL is Non-acnegenic not oil-free and very similar to DDG
  • Algenist silicone and oils - clogging pores

Not sure if you are using everything together, but it's clogging the pores and you're using products that are very similar.  Too much exfoliating based on their ingredients. Your skin could also be getting strippped of it's natural oils with all the exfoliate ingredients.

mpolansky

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Also another thing to consider - do you remove all your makeup and wash your face every night?

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Hi RisingLuna,

I agree with Sunny, I would simplify your skincare routine first to see if that's causing your breakouts.  And for face makeup, I would suggest something very lightweight and oil-free like Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

Laura Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free.jpg

sunny0501

(0) Hearts

You're using some pretty heavy duty products! And any one of them - or parts of all of them - can be causing you to breakout. But foundation will do that, too. So - as a test - pare down what you are using to a simple gel cleanser, an exfoliant with glycolic/salicylic acid to help with the breakouts and a simple moisturizer.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Are your makeup products all oil-free?  Am thinking that's the answer since there is a def correlation of when you're breaking out vs. Not.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 9 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • waterbaby1981
    • jennypenny1995
    • RisingLuna
    • laurabt
    • mpolansky