glassterrace

Best primer for oily, acne prone skin?

I need serious advice about the best primer. My skin is very oily and therefore my pores get clogged and form pimples during the day. I need a primer that smooths out my skin/pores and keeps oil at bay while also keeping pimples from forming throughout the day, one that keeps my foundation even as well. 

***I tried the Cover FX primer and it does nothing for my skin 

Kiki1517

Re: Best primer for oily, acne prone skin?

For some reason I can't reply to other comments, but I agree with mxcx below on the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer. I have extremely sensitive, acne prone combo skin so most primers really don't work for me. Got a sample of this and it is lovely!

clarks18

(0) Hearts

Do not buy the Too Faced in the white tube.  It says it is oil-free and made for sensitive skin.  I have oily skin bad and I bought that because I love Too Faced products and the description sounded great.  After like an hour of applying that primer by face was an oil pit.  I use Benefit Porefessinal.  I like it and so far it's the best primer I've used for my skin.  I want to try the Hourglass one now because everyone on here seems to have nothing but good things to say about it!

Also you can always get a sample of primer before you buy it.  Most Sephora's I've been to are very willing to give out a sample.

mxcx

Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, hands down!

Your skin sounds very similar to mine. I'm incredibly oily, very acne-prone, and I have lots of congestion in my pores. The Hourglass Mineral Veil primer really helps mattify your face as well as even out some redness. I also tried the Cover FX primer, as well as lots of other mattifying primers and nothing did anything for me. ): Except for Hourglass Mineral Veil. 

I also really recommend you check out Hourglass Immaculate Foundation. It's amazing used with the Mineral Veil primer, and it's the only foundation I've found that lasts more than a few hours on me. Plus it doesn't clog my pores, has a great matte and velvety finish, and looks pretty natural. 

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

@mxcx, Do you think the Hourglass primer would be suitable for dry skin?

mxcx

I think if you exfoliate and moisturize your skin really well, it would still work for you. Sometimes my acne treatments cause me to have flaky spots, and I notice that if I don't exfoliate and moisturize beforehand, I can definitely see the flakes after applying the primer and foundation. The primer doesn't necessarily exaggerate the flakes, but it definitely doesn't hide them either. 

I have a friend who has dry skin, and she absolutely loves the hydrating Hourglass Primer: http://www.sephora.com/n-28-primer-serum-P309504?skuId=1412592

AND it doesn't have mineral oil in it, but instead uses fruit and seed oils, which is fantastic. (:

There's also this kit you can get with both of the primers if you want to try them out and see which one you like better: http://www.sephora.com/veil-mineral-primer-no-28-primer-serum-duo-29-value-P376097?skuId=1454172

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Yeah my acne treatments are really taking a toll on my skin and finding a balance of the two isn't working. I've seen the duo and thought about it. But it is expensive for the amount you get but if it helps it doesnt matter to me! Thanks for your reply! 

mxcx

(0) Hearts

No problem! Hope you find a good primer that works for you. ((:

JGScorp

(0) Hearts

I have acne-oily skin and I've tried Nars, two faced (white tube) and have been disappointed with both. I used to use Lorac's aquaprime until it was discontinued. I've not been able to find any primer that is good for oily, acne and large pores. 

Manda

(0) Hearts

LORAC Aquaprime was replaced with two newer primers: I'm So Sensitive and POREfection.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

The two faced primed and poreless oil free, the hourglass mineral veil primer or even the Kat Von D rehab elixir primer would all be great choices for you. Great Suggestions from Diana also forgot about the Murad . Hope this helps!

lylysa

If you don't have any issues with silicone/dimethicone. try Benefit's Porefessional, Givenchy's Mister Mat, or Too Faced's Primed & Poreless (pink tube).

Both help mattify skin and the rich dimethicone content in Porefessional and P&P smooths over enlarged pores, minimizing their look. Porefessional can even be tapped on top of make up/skin throughout the day if you don't want to use powder or blotting sheets to touch up.

If you prefer for natural formulas or want to steer clear of dimethicone, try a water based mattifying formula like Korres's Mattifying Pomegranate Primer which uses witch hazel and rice startch to control oil and smooth the look of skin.

glassterrace

I'm not sure if my skin has issues with silicone but I would like something more on the natural side. I went into my local sephora today and the girl recommended the Korres line so I went with the Balancing Cream-Gel Moisturizer and also the Mattifying Primer. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Perfect! That's a great start! I hope the products work out for you! :smileyhappy:

jinxski

[ Edited ]

I've had some success with Shiseido's Makeup Refining Primer.

It applies a little drier than most of the primers I've tried before, but it definitely helps keep acne from popping up and my skin looks a lot less shiny at the end of the day when I use it.

Another one you could try is Too Faced's Primed and Poreless Oil Free Primer. It's a pretty good formula and a bit smoother than Shiseido's primer.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

menacho128

(0) Hearts

where do they sell it at?

dianabt

Hi GlassTerrace, 

I suggest you try the Murad Hybrids Skin Perfecting Primer Matte Finish. It has a slight neutral tone to even out your skin tone, it is oil free and leaves a gorgeous matte finish on the skin that  works well with your makeup, and it actually helps in refining the skin texture while keeping a good balance and control of the oils in your face. 

Murad - Hybrids Skin Perfecting Primer Matte Finish

http://bit.ly/VxzuPj

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
becabh

I use smashbox. It works well for me and I have combination skin, but I also know people with more oily skin that it works well too. Its oil-free also. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • Manda
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • jinxski