missybitsy

Best facial mask for 21 year-old?

Hello, I have combination skin and I occasionally have a few breakouts. My skin normally looks a bit dull and rough with a few red patches. As for facial products, I'm currently using a Clinique 7-day scrub exfoliator, clinique 3-step system and a sunscreen. I'm looking for a mask or peel to add to my routine. Can you recommend a good mask product that would make my skin look more soft and brighter? Any other product would be much appreciated! Thanks!

beautylovingirl

Re: Best facial mask for 21 year-old?

I also agree with Melissa about the exfoliating scrub instead of the 7 day scrub.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The best way to get your skin softer and brighter is a good exfoliator and a good mask. I've tried almost all the recommendations below, so just a couple note:

- Scrubs: salicylic acidis a common ingredient in things for oily/combination skin, but depending on the condition of your skin, it may make it a bit dry/flaky. If you've used cleanser/scrub with this ingredient and have no problem, go for it. My fav is still Clinique 7 day cuz it's the gentlest scrub and I don't have to worry about it irritating my skin before using masks/peels/treatments.

- Origins Charcoal mask: I love this mask. It's not crumbly and super drying like most mud/clay masks are, but it definitely soak up the oil and pulls out the pore clogger/white/black head from your skin. HOWEVER, this means if you have some bumps that are under the skin acne/white/blackheads, it wil draw that out and it may look like you are having a breakout when it's just pulling the junk to the surface, once it's gone it's gone. So this is a great mask but I would not suggest using it the day before a big event, the week before a big event, perhaps.

- Peel-off masks: I personally love peel-off mask for flaky/dull skin, but Boscia Black have a strong fragrance that stings my eyes. If you don't have a problem with it, great. If you find it a bit too fragranced with too much peeling power (especially if you have facial hair or a bit too much peach fuzz), try True Blue Spa Blackberry mask, which is gentler.

- Calming masks. Since your skin doesn't sound too oily or dry, it is possible the roughness and red patches are due to slight irritation from exfoliation or breakout and a moisturizer that is not hydrating enough. The masks that feel the most wonderful on my skin are a DIY oatmeal+yogurt mask (ground up oats calms and soak up oil, mix with plain whole milk yogurt which hydrates and honey which is anti-bacterial and helps with breakouts), and Fresh Rose mask (deep hydration but lightweight enough for combo skin to absorb, and tones/brightens the skin).

- Enzyme/renewal masks: metabolism is generally slower in the winter, so an enzyme mask will help jumpstart the skin to speed up the renewal/regeneration of the skin. My first one was Ren F10, which really helped me to get rid of rough/red skin, but that's discontinued and replaced with the glycol one, which should still be good. It is kind of thick so if you prefer something more refreshing, Ole Henriksen Black/blueberry mask is very gentle, feels good, and also works for rough/dull skin.

I like using a scrub in the shower, then apply the mask first thing when I get out. I find the masks are most effective right after a shower when your skin is clean and pores are open, versus normally when you just washed your face. This is especially true for peel-off mask.

Elevins

(0) Hearts

I'm a fan of Bel Mondo masks.

jackiewr1101

I use a korres overnight brightening facial. It is amazing! I use it in place of a moisturizer. It brightens with vitamin C and helps firm and tone the skin.

Kitkat1022

(0) Hearts

If you don't want to spend any money you can do a diy mask. I also have combination skin but just use baking soda and water for a mask it makes your skin look great, minimizes poors, and fades away scarring.

But if you want to buy a product,  I would recommend the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask which also makes my skin feel great and look great!

Hope I helped :smileyhappy: 

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

The Boscia black mask would be a great mask for you to look at or Dr. Perricone's blue plasma peel it's so gentle.Hope this helps!

helpful

I have similar skin and I use the Clinique Exfoliating scrub that Melissabt suggested paired with the Origins Charcoal Mask- I love both products!

melissabt

[ Edited ]

Hi Missybitsy-

Using an exfoliator is great to get rid of dull skin and rough texture. Once you have run out of the 7 Day Scrub you might want to try the Clinique Exfoliating Scrub. I recommend this one because, it contains salacytic acid which will help kill acne causing bacteria.

Clinique - Exfoliating Scrub

http://www.sephora.com/exfoliating-scrub-P122718?skuId=579490&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-beautyadvisorrec

For a more replenishing mask, I suggest the Ren Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask. It contains a four fruit acid complex that gently exfoliates while leaving your skin glowing and hydrated!

REN - Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask

http://www.sephora.com/glycol-lactic-radiance-renewal-mask-P203616?skuId=1064187&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-...

You also might want to check out this link:http://bit.ly/11Wtp1U which breaks down different masks based on skin concern:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
jinxski

[ Edited ]

My Beauty Diary Apple Polyphenol mask works great for combination skin, I've been using it for my acne for awhile and it's been pretty soothing.

Origins has this hydrating face mask that softens skin well, too.

Good luck on your search! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Check out Apivita's Express Beauty Mask with Pomegranate.

It's a hydrating mask to soothe and also infuses anti-oxidant rich ingredients like pomegranate and green tea extracts to brighten and balance skin tone while conditioning and hydrating with aloe, cucumber, calendula, shea butter, sodium hyaluronate (binds healthy moisture to skin), and panthenol.

It's gentle and can be used weekly, especially in conjunction after using your face scrub to put back into your skin what may be missing.

http://www.sephora.com/express-beauty-mask-with-pomegranate-P309804

You can also look into Boscia's Luminizing Black Mask, a gel base that uses charcoal clay, and witch hazel to draw out oil, impurities, and sebum trapped in pores to clarify skin while infusing vitamin C to brighten and even skin tone. It soothes and tones with honeysuckle, rosemary, and other botanical extracts.

http://www.sephora.com/luminizing-black-mask-P266800?skuId=1269455

Spyski

The black mask is so much fun too! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • lylysa