joeanne

Best eyeliner for tightlining rookie?

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get on the tightlining bandwagon, but I really would like to try it and I was wondering what the best liner is for a beginner? I have many UD 24/7 liners - could I use them? I've seen some YouTube tutorials on tightlining and think it will just take a little practice, but if there are any helpful hints, I'm all ears (well, actually, eyes!) Thanks, friends.

lolo01

Re: Best eyeliner for tightlining rookie?

Make sure that you pick a smooth pencil that glides easily so you dont have to go over and over the line again. Personally Urban Decay didn't work out for me as well as I expected... My best eyeliner for this is the Too Faced Perfect Eyes Waterproof Liner. I love that they glide on so effortlessly. I second@rikkie dont look up you want to avoid touching your iris.

rikkie

I've heard people say they even pick up some gel eyeliner on their liner pencil if they like the application technique of a pencil but want the smooth line of a gel. 

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Oooh that sounds like a good trick :smileyhappy:

rikkie

[ Edited ]

I use the Tarte waterproof gel liner and the brush that came with it. I sort of turn the brush as I touch it to the gel to pick some up and keep a nice point to the tip rather than just picking up a blob. I hold my mirror below my eyes so I'm sort of looking down and there is some white space between my lid and my iris, then my eye doesn't want to blink when the brush comes near. I hold the brush horizontally so the tip isn't poking at my eye and then sweep it along my waterline, the gel liner goes on so smoothly and I find it's super quick and easy. :smileyhappy: Here's a picture I drew on, maybe it helps because I don't know how clear my explanation is. 

tightline.png

Look downwards at your mirror, not up like this eye! Oh, just put in my contacts and I realized if you have the ability to see more than like 2 inches away you can tilt your head back and open your eyes extra wide to help make things easier, haha. I'm so blind without my glasses/contacts.

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the picture! I think gel or cake liner will be the way to go.

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Good question, I have another along the same lines. I've seen this on Youtube videos, but are you putting eyeliner just really closely in between your upper lashes or in the upper waterline. I'm always confused when they say tightlining.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Buxom gel liner with a flat top liner brush- easy to just press the brush into the lashes, you don't need to draw a line... just keep going around the lash line pressing it in.

Too Faced Lash Lining tool- again, just press & wiggle into the the lash line, don't draw a line with it.

If I'm in a pinch, I'll use a pencil, but find my eyes water more & it kind of tickles. 

But really it's just practice. It took me a while to figure out what products/tools worked & how to do it properly. 

joeanne

(0) Hearts

It definitely tickles with pencil! I think I will try a cake or gel liner. I'm starting to get a better idea of what to do. Like you said, not drawing a line but use a "press and wiggle" technique. That describes it perfectly!

plm95

(0) Hearts

Good Afternoon! I know many people love the UD 24/7 pencils, but I'm not a complete lover. When I want to tightline, I like using my Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Liner. Personally, I just activate it with just water and a flat liner brush and press/stamp it to the upper tightline of my eye. Laura Mercier makes an activator for the liner, but I've never tried it, water works for me! Hope I helped!

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Yes, one of the girls on a YouTube tutorial was using the LM Cake Liner and it looked so easy the way she did it. She also just used water, so that's something I'm going to consider. I already have a flat liner brush. Thanks!

beeyes

(0) Hearts

my favorite is estee lauder waterproof, comes off easy too. check out the cosmetic cop. beutypedia.com!! she is the best!!!!

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Thanks. Will do!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • beeyes
    • joeanne
    • plm95