evno

Best brush for setting powder (and other q's)

[ Edited ]

I'm just getting interested in ultra-fine, translucent setting powders, but I'm pretty lost on how to apply it. I want a fluffy (not dense), flexible brush that would apply the setting powder really sheer, but not waste it. Any recommendations? 

Also, I had a demonstration with the Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder (which I really want to buy now  :smileyhappy:  ), but the beauty advisor used a fluffy kabuki brush that wasted product by fluffing up big clouds of powder into the air (like sneeze-worthy clouds). How would I prevent that from happening?

And finally (so many questions!), I'm debating between the Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder, Tarte Smooth Operator Finishing Powder, and Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder. I have unevenly-textured skin (from occasional acne), so which one would be the best in terms of mattifying, perfecting, and long-wearing? Thank you! <3

upload_4646881725751728308.jpgupload_8339594777219332848.jpgupload_8847674653871796629.jpg

keelybt

Re: Best brush for setting powder (and other q's)

(0) Hearts

Hi Evno, I love using the SEPHORA COLLECTION Pro Round Powder Brush #60 to apply my finishing powder.  It's a lovely fluffy brush that gives a sheer application.  upload_6033874383843224393.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/pro-round-powder-brush-60-P313005?skuId=1419332

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love the Too Faced Powder Pouf Brush. It's sooooo soft & fluffy. I swirl it in the cap of my setting powder, tap off excess & lightly dust it on my face. Works like a dream. 

upload_2522580373278552601.jpg 

http://www.sephora.com/powder-pouf-brush-P266709?skuId=1267095

As for setting powder, I've been using a sample of Tarte lately, I prefer it to MUFE. I really want to try the NARS, but will wait until I'm done with the others. Sometimes, if I need more coverage then I set my makeup with a powder foundation. 

And Guerlain Meteorites is always my last step. It's a finishing powder, not a setting powder. 

bluenun456

(0) Hearts

I use the tarte powder and haven't tried the others. It's awesome. I have tried Youngblood's version and it was comparable to tarte's, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. 

I use a very soft long bristles brush to apply, so my concealer and foundation don't budge. I dip it in the powder once, tap it off the excess on the side of the container so none is wasted, and it's the perfect amount for all over my face.

For touch-ups, I keep a tiny sample-sized container full of tarte powder in my purse and use a small soft blush brush, like one that would come with blush from a drug store. It's perfect to touch-up my t-zone. 

I haven't used a puff to apply. It seems like it could be hard to adjust the amount you're putting on your face, especially since it needs to be a super thin veil and not look white on your skin. I'm definitely interested in trying it though! 

clarks18

(0) Hearts

I agree 100% with ry22.  That powder is amazing and using a puff instead of a brush will give you more coverage and a better finish without disturbing your concealer or foundation.

ry22

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love the Tarte Powder best. It is mattifying. As for application, you may want to try Laura Mercier Velour Puff ($12).

upload_6595273860246713558.jpg

It doesn't mess with your foundation, so you get a nice finish.

trulykelsie

(0) Hearts

I have been using the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder for over a year now, and I love it! Like you, my skin can sometimes be uneven, but if anything, this powder smooths my foundation and concealer out and gives my makeup a flawless and natural complexion. It definitely mattifies the skin, which is perfect since I prefer to control the dewy finish with highlighter later on. 

As for brushes, I have been using Laura Mercier's fan brush for application. It is an amazing brush, and is beyond perfect for applying this powder. I've also used this for over a year, and it has yet to shed.

For applying this product, I just shake a little into the lid, swirl my brush around, tap off the excess and then brush onto my face. Buffing isn't really necessary, as it applies evenly and smoothly with just some gentle strokes. 

babycakes33

Make up forever HD is the best!  Tarte has some amazing products, but overall you are going to be happy buffing this over your makeup and getting that dewy perfect finish you are looking for.  It's also the best for touch ups.  Brushes have been the tricky thing for me, I have tried many and finally found my holy grail.  Sephora has the Pro Flawless Airbrush #56 and it is the best of the best!  Soft as cloud, yet dense and does not shed one single bit!  You can use it to apply mineral make ups, setting powder and liquid foundation.  This brush is sephora's best kept secret.  Try it and you will see!   Hope that helps!

evno

(0) Hearts

Thanks! Sephora brushes are underrated but great quality.

I'm not really going for the dewy finish, since the EL Lucidity powder is already pretty glowy. Does the MUFE powder mattify?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • DTalksAll
    • ry22
    • clarks18
    • babycakes33
    • evno