Best & Worst Beauty Box Subscriptions

hannasilkwood

Best & Worst Beauty Box Subscriptions

What would everyone say their favorite subscription box is? And which are a waste of money? I am looking to subscribe to some more. I have had Birchbox and it started out good but then I stopped seeing brands I knew and loved. I just signed up for IPSY and am crossing my fingers I like it. Julep looks like a good deal so I think I am going to sign up for that one to.

meagboho

Re: Best & Worst Beauty Box Subscriptions

If someone refers you they can give you a code or something to get a free box just pay shipping. That's how I joined. I like Julep, because I was grandfathered in and can skip.

hannasilkwood

Thanks! One girl sent me her code fortunately. Thanks for the tip! I wish I were grandfathered in to that too. 

kbmatthews

I'm not even grandfathered in, and I like Julep. To each their own :smileyhappy:

hipquest

(0) Hearts

My favorite beauty sub is Wantable. I've found it to be the most customizable, by far. You don't get product types you don't want and can choose the colors you love, like or hate. It is one of the pricier ones but the brands are good to great AND they have phenomenal customer service. I'm also a huge fan of their intimates box but I don't like the accessory box.

wokkin

I tried at least one month of a few services, but unfortunately I've cancelled them all and now I'm waiting for my Ipsy box to show up.

Birchbox - I didn't use most of their samples, but they have great customer service. One time I had gotten a sample that I had already received the month before and they gave me $10 store credit.

Beauty Box 5 - Just average samples, did not recognize any of the brands and I felt like they had too many bath products in my box for my liking.

Julep - The nail polishes were cute!  I ended up buying a bunch of them from the store and cancelling the subscription because I didn't need anymore.

Beauty Bar Sample Society - Tiny samples.

Beauty Army - Generally pleased with considering it let me choose my samples.  You do need patience to refresh your samples until you get what you want though.  The box was also very cute and durable.  I ended up keeping this, but the next month the sample selection hadn't changed very much so I cancelled.

Glossybox - I wasn't too impressed with the samples and this subscription is more expensive than the rest.

Very hopeful for Ipsy because their bags look super cute!

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the break down! Very helpful. I think I am going to see how IPSY is upcoming month and try out Juliep too. I was looking on Beauty Army the other day and like you said, you have to have the patience to manipulate the system til you get what you want (if there is anything good).

IAmLadyLiterary

I've only tried the Vegan Cuts beauty box, which I love because you get one or two (sometimes three) makeup items, some skin care, some hair care, sometimes a nail polish.  I got an $18 LVX nail polish in Orchid a couple months ago which I love, some boxes haven't been fantastic but I find I always get a couple things I really like!  And it's all cruelty free and vegan.

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

I haven't heard of that one! I will have to check it out. I am all about natural products. 

MarciaBrady

I get Glossybox, Birchbox, Ipsy, and Julep. I've been mostly happy with all of them, but each certainly has pretty blah months from time to time.

Julep is, at this time, probably my favorite. The color selections are always wonderful and they're great at mixing it up by making various products like cosmetics and moisturizers available. Birchbox has been a miss the last couple months, but usually there are a couple things in there I'm happy to have been introduced to. Honestly, though, it'd be the first one I drop.

I've had great luck with Ipsy, but I know that isn't the case with everyone. Their product offerings range from low to high, and some people seem to continually get stuck with the low. I have to say I've gotten a decent assortment. Glossybox is beautifully presented and nearly always sends quality products, Whether or not one likes them is part of the sub box gamble.

Wordy though that was, I hope it was helpful!

hannasilkwood

Thanks, very helpful. I have felt the same way about birchbox but thought about reinstating my subscription but now I won't.  I just feel like there trying to get away with giving out lower quality products. I will have to subscribe to Julep though. Cant go wrong with nail polish.

kbmatthews

I'm in Canada, so my main boxes are different. But I'd love to try Birchbox if it were offered up here. Glossy box, when it was up here, was absolutely horrible. I adore Julep, and I don't even paint my nails that often. They have such unique colours, and you can get non-nail polish items too, so I feel like I can justify that.

Jessicaclara

(0) Hearts

Did you by chance ever try Glymm? It was Canadian (or at least shipped here), but they've since gone out of business.

Zpsid91

I tried Glossybox - they screwed up royally and tried to blame me, and their customer service was terrible - took forever to get ahold of them and for a resolution. On top of that the box is just ok most of the time. I don't mind getting one if I find a month I really like - otherwise not worth the price.

I liked Julep, but I only need so much nail polish. If you want to try I think I have a link you can use to get the first month for just the cost of shipping.

Ipsy - not impressed so far, I think I will give it one more month and then cancel.

Birchbox - I have heard good and bad things...when I cancel Ipsy I might try this for a few months.

Those are the ones I've tried or thought about trying, but I know quite a few ladies on here have tried others and have more to say :smileyhappy:

There is another recent thread that goes through what everyone has been getting the past few months if that helps you decide as well :smileyhappy:

hannasilkwood

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I think I am definitely going to sign up for Julep, if you could send me that code it would be great, thanks! I was looking at that thread and was disappointed a little by what people received. I got birch box for the first few months after it started and they used to be great, but have gone down hill. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • tanyab84
    • dolceloure
    • hipquest
    • Geminichilde
    • FireSpinner
    • Zpsid91