Answer
houseofdiorxo
Accepted Solution
Best Products/Face washes to clear acne??
[ Edited ]
Hi everyone, I'm 18 and I have acne mostly on my forehead and some on my cheeks. I have pretty oily skin and I use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Cream Cleanser and the Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner. They work okay, like some days are better than others, but they have never really gotten rid of my acne. I recently ordered the St. Ives St. Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub and the St. Ives Green Tea Scrub to see if they would be any better. I'm not sure it would help though, any thoughts? Thanks everyone! xx

UPDATE:
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for all the feedback! Much appreciated. I found out that Sephora carries the Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Overnight Repair Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment Pads. Is that a type of product that would help? xx
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
drrragon
Answered
[ Edited ]

I have to add my vote here for Proactiv, it really was the one thing that helped me control my acne.  However,  you can get the same results from other brands.  The key points of the Proactiv system were:

1. a disciplined daily regimen that I stuck to.  This is VERY important when dealing with acne.  You MUST cleanse twice daily.

2. Apply a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide medicated lotion twice daily.  This is the secret ingredient (if used regularly) that will help reduce your acne.  You can find benzoyl peroxide in many drugstores and many Sephora brands as well.

As others have mentioned, salicylic acid is another great skincare ingredient that helps with acne.  These days I use a 2% salicylic acid toner (to help with blackheads) and layer the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide on top.  

Answers: 10
dianabt
Answered

Hi houseofdiorxo, 

I'd suggest you mainly stick to a gel cleanser (creamy or milk cleansers can be too intense and hydrating on the skin if you have acne), avoid any scrubs that are too abrasive as these can make acne worse or spread it around to other parts of the face, and try an oil absorbing toner that can help with breakouts.

Kate Somerville Detox Daily Cleanser

Detox Daily Cleanser

Murad Clarifying Cleanser

Clarifying Cleanser

Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser

Clear Complexion Cleanser

Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Toner

Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion

Boscia Clear Complexion Toner

Clear Complexion Tonic with Botanical Blast

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
rosefilou
Answered
[ Edited ]

Hey Houseofdiorxo,

I find acne has a lot to do with hormones, so what you eat/drink is definitely #1 on your first step (lots of veggies/fruits, good fats like omega 3s found in salmon, olive oil). I also found when I ate more dairy and sugary, refined foods (these cause inflammation) my acne would flare up, so try to choose good dairy.

With that said, DRINK lots of WATER! This will help immensely in hydrating your skin and clearing the body of toxins (and clears up your face). Remember, there is no magical cream or product that will take away your acne; you must start first with a good eating regimen. Finally, on to products:

• I find Neutrogena products tend to strip away a lot of natural oils on the skin and the St. Ives is very abrasive and causes more breakouts and flare ups. Instead, try to keep it more simple. Find a mild cleanser, I use the Ole Henriksen Red Tea cleanser and swap with a creamier cleanser like Biotherm’s when my skin’s feeling dry (or even Spectro Gel), but Clinique also offers a full line for oily skin. It’s really trial and error to see how your skin responds but trust me, the more drying astringents/alcohols/exfoliants you use, it will make the skin worse.  

• Instead of scrubbing the heck out of your skin, try a sample of an enzyme scrub like the Peter Thomas Roth Clinical Peel & Reveal Dermal Resurfacer. It’s less abrasive and works reallly well. Expensive, but I find it’s the best out there, WAY better than any St. Ives scrubs. Exfoliating once a week or maybe twice is really good to help unclog the dead skin cells on the surface, which block the sebum (oil) and creates pimples. The key is mild here. You can even make your own with fruits (research some on the net, I think there’s ones with strawberries and pumpkin, oatmeal for soothing the skin, honey as an antimicrobial, again, if you have the time to make them, go for it)

• You also might want to do a mud mask once or twice a week as well to unclog the pores and bring the bacteria out from deep within the pores. I use a Dead Sea black mud mask that I found from Winner’s, but I believe Sephora is carrying a few such as Boscia Luminizing Black Mask (http://www.sephora.com/luminizing-black-mask-P266800?skuId=1269455) as well as Origins (http://www.sephora.com/clear-improvement-active-charcoal-mask-to-clear-pores-P297524?skuId=1375773). These types of mud masks work a-mazing for cleaning out the pores. A warning though, you will have more pimples after these (!) because all the dirt is being brought to the surface (think of a facial). If you really want t deep clean, I put this on and go to a sauna (or have a pot of boiling water and let the steam rise up onto your face, careful try not to burn your face off, or soak a towel in hot-ish warm water and wrap it on your face, sounds ridiculous but it works).

• As for moisturizer, I like Biotherm Aquasource for combination skin (it’s a blue, gel like consistency). It’s enough hydration but it’s not greasy – perfect for acne prone skin that’s dehydrated. And last but not least, the best spot treatments I find are Kate Somerville called Eradikate (sulphur mud treatment that dries out pimples) as well as Clean & Clear Acne Spot Treatment (with salicylic acid to kill the bacteria). These work really well for me. If you have acne scars and the pimple is all dried up, try Polysporin, it helps heal the scar.

It’s a lot of info, but I found this is what works best for me over the years. I hope it helps!

Answered

If your into making things yourself, you can try using Ubtan. Its a face/body mask Indian & Pakistani brides apply to their skin about 10 days before they're wedding, to get clear glowing skin. I've started using it since the new year as a part of my organic new years resolution, and so far it's been clearing up my skin! Its made of turmeric powder, sandalwood powder, wheatgerm oil, rose water, chick pea flour, honey, yogurt, lemon juice...theres different recipes you can use with different ingredients, as long as you include the turmeric powder! Turmeric is ant inflammatory, anti bacterial, and will even skin tone too! Its worth a shot and it beats using face washes full of chemicals..

chanelbeauty007
Answered

+ 1 proactiv!

asiadawn
Answered

Have you tried Proactiv? I started using it after trying EVERYTHING else out there (including prescription treatments from my family doctor), and it honestly made a massive difference. Most of the complaints people have about it are related to excessive dryness due to the benzoyl peroxide (as opposed to salicylic acid), but if you start out slow and use an oil-free, water-based moisturizer with it, you should be fine (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel is my favorite). Its also relatively inexpensive so its definitely worth a shot. Hope this helps!

enilorak22
Answered

One word: Proactiv. It was the only treatment that gave me a complete clean skin. You should tryit!

llbean
Answered

ok with Proactiv it might work for you and it might not. it all depends on your skin type, you say that you have oily skin, so at night when you sleep on your pillow, sleep on one side one night, and the other the next night. Then wash your pillow case the next day while you are out. Doing this will help keep the oil from your face not stay on your face. Also pull your hair up when you sleep, oily hair gets even more oil on ypur pillow, hands, phone, and anything else that touches your face. Also try not to touch your face during the day, your hands carry alot of oil, dirt, and germs which cause blemishes. If you wash your face too often, your face could be in need of essencial oils so it is producing an aboundance of it to try to balace out the cleansing of all the oil. Wipe your phone off at least once a week to keep as much dirt and oil away from your face as possible. if you use any kind of makeup brushes, clean them at least every other week. This is all just your body trying to balance its self. it might not seem normal to you but it is so normal that everone you know has eather had it, is having it, or is going to struggle with acne at some point in their life. Again some products may work some may not. Try to avoid colored drinks, greasy foods and make sure to drink at least a pound of water a day. SLEEP!!!!!!!!! it will help... :smileyhappy: hope this advise helped you.....

chanelbeauty007
Answered

I think acid acne pads would work, as long as they have salicylic acid?

HadleyMonster
Answered

I've heard wonderful things about Proactiv, but be cautious of the actual business they conduct. Google "Proactiv scam" and see what you think before getting involved with them!

Also, you don't want to be scrubbing your face with anything too hard like St. Ives Spricot Scrub. The particles in their scrub tend to be too large and can actually irritate the skin on your face and make you brake out more.

Exfoliating with acne is very important, but you want to do it with something that is extremely gentle on the skin. I love doing it with Baking Soda! First, cleanse your skin so it's squeaky clean, wet your face, apply a spoonful of Baking Soda to your finger tips, moisten to a paste, and apply in circular motions starting at the cener of the face and working out. I do it for about 15-30 seconds. Rinse well, tone, moisterize.

Straight, organic Tea Tree Oil works extremely well as overnight spot treatment on new breakouts. It can be over drying, so make sure to keep it just to the pimple/breakout area. And also, try as hard as you can to never pop a pimple!

Vitamin C (the actual vitamin) in high doses also works to naturally clear the skin. I always recommend taking supplements in powder or gel capsules, because your body can absorb it that way. Start with 500 mg and slowly work your way up to 2000 mg daily. Vitamin C is also a natural laxative, so don't do too much too quickly!

One more thing, look into oil pulling with coconut oil. It has multiple beauty benefits including skin.

xoxo

rosefilou
Answered
[ Edited ]

The Philosophy Pads sound great, anything with Salicylic Acid is going to kill bacteria. Tea Tree Oil, like the one found at Body Shop, is another really good bacteria fighter. I really like 1117's tip on using tumeric. Tumeric is one of the super spices/ingredients that's supposed to work wonders on fighting inflammation, both internally and externally.

Afterall, that's what acne is - the body's external response to inflammation. Cinnamon also fights inflammation as lemon and other citric fruits, kiwi, strawberries, have enzymes that exfoliate and brighten the skin. Oatmeal, honey, yogurt, and aloe are good skin soothers. I believe  the brand Korres carries a yogurt mask too if you want to try (...or just make your own). Definitely look into the mud masks, they work really well for drying up excess oil on the skin. The key is balancing the oil; not too little, not too much. Clinique has a good line for oily skin that's more in the affordable range.

I actually tried Proactiv and it burned the heck out of my skin. I was left with clearer skin, I guess, but not without burning off a few layers - let alone sensitivity to sunlight! Forget sun tanning!

Honestly, it's just something you're gonna have to play around with to find the right balance and see what works for your skin. I'm entering a phase where my skin is changing and I don't require heavy duty drying agents to fight acne, but the rules still apply here: eat well, DRINK water, and don't aggitate your skin too much with soaps/lotions/stripping alcohols. And don't ever sleep with makeup on either unless you want 30 days of pus-like acne. No one wants that. In the end, it's gonna do it's own thing based on what your hormones feel like doing, which you cannot control. We just try to do the best to manage it!

p.s. ALSO, just read this online!

"Dandelion helps clear acne. Acne is often caused by hormonal changes. During hormonal fluctuations, the sebaceous glands secrete extra oil. When mixed with dead skin the pores can get blocked, preventing toxic substances from escaping. This blockage causes infection and results in acne. The diuretic and detoxing nature of dandelion helps to regulate hormones facilitating removal of toxins through sweat, bile and urine."

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/four-cleansing-benefits-dandelion-171000870.html

Question Stats
  • 11 answers
  • 17 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • rosefilou
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • HadleyMonster
    • houseofdiorxo
    • asiadawn
    • enilorak22