ilovpurses

Beauty over 50

Well that was the most depressing hour of my life. I decided to google "beauty over 50" and I just feel like shooting myself lol. Apparently I'm supposed to wear tinted moisturizer (no foundation), 1-2 at most neutral eye shadows (no color under any circumstances) and forget about lipstick with color. Yes maam - keep that whole face as boring as neutral as possible.

You guys have no idea how this does NOT jive with my personality. I've worn makeup my entire life and I cannot tell you how often I've had ppl come up to me if I'm at a makeup counter and ask me for advice because they thought I worked there. 

I understand at my ripe old age of 50 I shouldn't be glowing in the dark decked out with sparkles and glitter but my God, I just bought the Marc Jacobs Siren palette and I love it!! But apparently I should gather up all my non neutral makeup and bury it in the backyard.

Say it isn't so. 

blooming

Re: Beauty over 50

I say poo poo on that nonsense.  I became a makeup junkie at 50.  My face loves color. The older we get IMO the more creative we should become. Play up your positives.  I own 3 kat von d palettes sparkles and all and I've had several compliments from people with very discriminating taste.  I love those colors and they help me bring my crease to life from behind my hooding lids.  LOL.  I have gone a little lighter on lip color as a rule but only because they are thinner now and I can give them a plumper look with a little lighter color and pencil.  Playing up your best features will keep you looking youthful and glam.  And BTW I read the same nonsense as you about what we Should do--then I did what I do!  Color outside the lines. :-)  have fun.  

Attie

Personally, I've always thought darker lipstick shades look better with age!

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

What do you like wearing on your lips? 

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

Thank you, dear friend

ilovpurses

Just checked back on tbis thread and you have all totally convinced me that what I read was total nonsense. From now on I'm just checking with you guys. I really appreciate all the positive feedback and the overall positive vibe from everyone here. It's really uplifting. :-) 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

We've got each others' backs!!  Life--and makeup--doesn't end at 30!!

Loretta55

I am of that certain age and recently started using Stila Jewel eyeshadow in golden topaz and my eyelids and citrine from the same line in my crease. I have been receiving compliments on my choices. Stila kitten is my base. eyeshadow. I also favor bolder lip colors. I feel naked without them.

Girly2Shoes

Way to go girl! Please post some pictures so we can compliment you. Always love seeing you beautiful ladies. 

gogreyhound

All of us over 40 people should post pix of ourselves so we can ooh and aah over our ageless beauty! :smileyhappy:  

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

That's a great idea! The camera on my phone hates me (I always look red and splotchy), so posting one from it won't support the cause, but I'll see if I can get a better one somehow. Power to the over-40 people!

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

@gogreyhound, I feel that way which is why I post to the What Are You Wearing Today thread. Unfortunately, hardly anyone else over 40 posts. :smileysad:

Girly2Shoes

I agree dear friend, I usually only do my eyes and lips, and wear one of my wigs.  If I get a chance I like to go to the MAC counter or to Sephora and have makeup done. Don't have much experience in doing my makeup. 

Should we have our own thread, or just share among ourselves? 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

I think we should. I have a big problem with posting pics of myself, because I end up hating how I look and deleting them. I only have my Ipad, so I blame it! ha ha!   All the young gals will find out eventually that everyone gets older, if they are lucky.  Some days it is easier to accept than others...I am struggling with my self-image these days.

You are so nice, and I am so honored that you can share with all of us without fear. 

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

Well, my beautiful friend, we can just pm each other, rather than post for every one to see. Then if we are comfortable enough we can then post for the world to see. 

blushnglow

It isn't so... I will scream it out loud "it isn't so!!!  There is so much nonsense in this world that i don't even know where to begin so I won't start.  But to ilovpurses,  continue to be fabulous and do what makes you confident and happy. 

Smokey123

I'm 45 and have a fairly good complexion and very few lines on my face. I still like to use some shimmery colors and even conservatively use a glittery eyeliner on my upper lid. I like it and believe it or not, I get the most compliments on my eyes when I use it. I am far more conservative than I used to be with colors, but my general rule is that as long as I'm comfortable with it then it's fine. I just do what I consider to be age appropriate for me.

andyhtrieu

Age does not matter when it comes to making yourself feel good and happy. If you like purple eye shadow, go ahead and rock it! Prove those articles wrong that you can be 50 years old and still look amazing in non-neutrals. Those articles will not stop you or anyone else from wearing bright colors at 50. 

beauty4ashes

Uh Oh. You read something from the "THEY's" who make up rules for fun just to make us feel worse about ourselves in this backwards society.

mberteig

I am 50.  Wear whatever you want, whatever makes you happy!  I love bright colors, wear shimmery or glittery eyeshadow and rock a bright lip!  In fact, I think at least for me, I need some color on my face as I get a little older so I don't look washed out.  That's a little beside the point, but the thing is do what you want, who is anyone else to make up some arbitrary "rules"??  Have fun with it!

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Hi ilovpurses!

I agree with everyone else! Makeup has no age limit! If you want to rock a smoky eye and a full face of foundation, go for it! I think as long as your makeup is blended well, there is no rule on how much or how little you should we wearing for your specific age group. Rules are meant to be broken especially when it comes to makeup! :smileytongue:

Best,
Randee
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 47 replies
  • 170 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • lylysa
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mafan