ilovpurses

Beauty over 50

Well that was the most depressing hour of my life. I decided to google "beauty over 50" and I just feel like shooting myself lol. Apparently I'm supposed to wear tinted moisturizer (no foundation), 1-2 at most neutral eye shadows (no color under any circumstances) and forget about lipstick with color. Yes maam - keep that whole face as boring as neutral as possible.

You guys have no idea how this does NOT jive with my personality. I've worn makeup my entire life and I cannot tell you how often I've had ppl come up to me if I'm at a makeup counter and ask me for advice because they thought I worked there. 

I understand at my ripe old age of 50 I shouldn't be glowing in the dark decked out with sparkles and glitter but my God, I just bought the Marc Jacobs Siren palette and I love it!! But apparently I should gather up all my non neutral makeup and bury it in the backyard.

Say it isn't so. 

skintester

Re: Beauty over 50

That is absolute BALONEY! I strongly believe you should wear what feels right for you. The only limitation for makeup should be appropriateness in terms of place and event. If you can rock shimmery shades, by all means do! I think the only reason that there's a supposed rule about not wearing shimmer/glitter after a certain age is that a lot of people don't know how to use them, pile them on on the wrong places and emphasize their wrinkles. That advice is for those people who would rather err on the side of caution. Not everyone is adventurous. OTOH, there are so many great tutorials out there now that, if we can continue to learn proper application and have the courage to try out new things, age shouldn't matter. Makeup can be manipulated to make us look younger or older, but the whole point is to be fabulous, not bland. Makeup should make you feel happy and enable you to look like the best version of yourself regardless of age. I know people in their 20s who look 40 because they don't know how to use makeup. Then there are people in their 50s who look 30 because they know how to use makeup. As we age, we need to update our skincare because of changes in physiology but in terms of makeup, anything goes. That's why makeup is fun. The same thing applies with clothes. No short skirts after 35? BALONEY. If I had legs like Tina Turner at 70, I'd wear minis everyday. 

There was a point in my life where I wasn't happy and I wasn't aware that I wore brown all the time. One day someone at work approached me and said "You really like brown, don't you?". That's when I realized how much my my state of mind affected my clothes and demeanor, and vice versa. The colors in my closet and makeup now span the rainbow and I'm not going to change it for anyone. Stay true to your fabulous self, ilovepurses!

Meg82

Honey, like everyone else has said you have to rock your own song.  I think shimmer on the eyes is perfect and fabulous and I plan to wear shimmery eyes until I die.  Same goes with dark reds and berry lipsticks. I'm 32 so no one is lining up to tar and feather me for that (though I have read plenty of beauty blogs that say no shimmer after 30) but even when I am "of a certain age" I plan to wear what I want when I want.  Especially once I retire because I won't have to do work appropriate things with my makeup.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make that about me.  You are awesome for having a style that makes you feel good and you should just tell conventional makeup wisdom to eff off.  I think you are inspiring and fabulous.

shyvicki

No shimmer after 30? Seriously? I'm 36 and prefer shimmery shadows. I think they bring out my eyes more than mattes do. I use mattes for my crease/transition color. I also prefer lip gloss over sticks. My lips are always on the dry side and lipsticks seem to draw attention to that. Plus overall, I think older women look better with a pop of color on their face.

TheSocialQuota

If shimmer is banned after 30 then BareMinerals has some explaining to do. I know I'm in their targeted age bracket and 80% of their colors shimmer.

Please don't ask the internet a question like that ever again unless you want the most jaded answer possible.

Seriously the things you say internet, you so mean.

ballerinagrl

I am so with you on the shimmery eyes! Honestly I feel matte eyeshadows looked great on me in my 20's and 30's, but now I'm in my 40's, shimmering shades seem so much more flattering :smileyhappy:

over60andfab

You rock on girl!

I am 60 & grateful to still be here!

Bring on the lip gloss!

rob13

This is good stuff!

Added some positive to my day.

YOLO, so do what makes you feel good about yourself!

blooming

I say poo poo on that nonsense.  I became a makeup junkie at 50.  My face loves color. The older we get IMO the more creative we should become. Play up your positives.  I own 3 kat von d palettes sparkles and all and I've had several compliments from people with very discriminating taste.  I love those colors and they help me bring my crease to life from behind my hooding lids.  LOL.  I have gone a little lighter on lip color as a rule but only because they are thinner now and I can give them a plumper look with a little lighter color and pencil.  Playing up your best features will keep you looking youthful and glam.  And BTW I read the same nonsense as you about what we Should do--then I did what I do!  Color outside the lines. :-)  have fun.  

Attie

Personally, I've always thought darker lipstick shades look better with age!

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

What do you like wearing on your lips? 

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

Thank you, dear friend

ilovpurses

Just checked back on tbis thread and you have all totally convinced me that what I read was total nonsense. From now on I'm just checking with you guys. I really appreciate all the positive feedback and the overall positive vibe from everyone here. It's really uplifting. :-) 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

We've got each others' backs!!  Life--and makeup--doesn't end at 30!!

Loretta55

I am of that certain age and recently started using Stila Jewel eyeshadow in golden topaz and my eyelids and citrine from the same line in my crease. I have been receiving compliments on my choices. Stila kitten is my base. eyeshadow. I also favor bolder lip colors. I feel naked without them.

Girly2Shoes

Way to go girl! Please post some pictures so we can compliment you. Always love seeing you beautiful ladies. 

gogreyhound

All of us over 40 people should post pix of ourselves so we can ooh and aah over our ageless beauty! :smileyhappy:  

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

That's a great idea! The camera on my phone hates me (I always look red and splotchy), so posting one from it won't support the cause, but I'll see if I can get a better one somehow. Power to the over-40 people!

DiVWA

@gogreyhound, I feel that way which is why I post to the What Are You Wearing Today thread. Unfortunately, hardly anyone else over 40 posts. :smileysad:

Girly2Shoes

I agree dear friend, I usually only do my eyes and lips, and wear one of my wigs.  If I get a chance I like to go to the MAC counter or to Sephora and have makeup done. Don't have much experience in doing my makeup. 

Should we have our own thread, or just share among ourselves? 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

I think we should. I have a big problem with posting pics of myself, because I end up hating how I look and deleting them. I only have my Ipad, so I blame it! ha ha!   All the young gals will find out eventually that everyone gets older, if they are lucky.  Some days it is easier to accept than others...I am struggling with my self-image these days.

You are so nice, and I am so honored that you can share with all of us without fear. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 54 replies
  • 186 hearts
  • 30 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • shyvicki
    • lylysa
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mafan
    • joeanne