Chloes3

Battle of Kabuki Brushes

So my Real Techniques kabuki brush bit the dust tonight!  Anyone have or love a different kabuki?  I think I might have gotten a dud since mine didn't last very long (I try to take really good care of my brushes).  Curious what brushes you all are using & loving!  

lylysa

Re: Battle of Kabuki Brushes

My Too Faced Retractable Kabuki is hands down one of my favorite brushes/tools in my arsenal.

The synthetic bristles are super soft, they don't snap or break off so they doesn't get scratchy or rough, I've had mine for 6+ years and have seen it shed 3-4 hairs.

It's a great multi-purpose tool that can be used for various formulas from liquids, creams, to powders and can be used to buff on foundation (retract it up a bit to use it as a buffing brush) for a soft diffused look, retracted fully to a dense nub to blend out concealers in a larger area, used to blend and apply cream blushes/bronzers/highlighters, and flatted out and made wide to be used like a fan brush to contour/highlight/bronze or even as an angled powder brush for blushes.

Due to the fact it has synthetic bristles, there's a decreased chance for oils from the skin to be absorbed and breed bacteria (obviously still use daily brush cleaning spray and do a full manual wash weekly with soap and water), plus it because it's retractable, it makes toting around loose powders a breeze. Rather than store a jar of loose powder in a make up bag/purse and risk it making a mess when you open and close it, swirl up powder into the brush, cap, toss it in your bag, and pull it out to lightly powder skin for touch ups throughout the day.

ilovebears

Ooh, I'm super interested in the Too Faced retractable kabuki now!!  Is it hard to clean at all, due to the fact that it is retractable?

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Not at all, in fact, the new model actually twists down and stays in place real well as opposed to the original model (one I have) which just pulls down. I've never had an issue of the piece coming loose or getting in the way during cleansings.

Chloes3

Thanks Lylysa!  Totally sold me - definitely picking up a Too Faced Kabuki!  

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You're welcome! :smileyhappy: I can't count enough how many times as of recent I've raved about this brush more and more! It's the "hidden gem" of the make up brush world in my book!

DTalksAll

I too love my Too Faced Retractable! 

Lylysa, did you see this Too Faced thread?!?! 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/your-opinion-on-too-faced/td-p/1293746

lylysa

I saw it not too long ago! I need to pop my head in! :smileytongue:

btmod2

Hi Chloes3,

I have been loving the Sephora Collection Pro Bronzer Brush #48 for liquid foundation application. I have also been using it for tinted moisturizers, BB creams and CC creams! Although this brush says it is for bronzer application, I have found that it is soft and dense enough to blend in liquid makeup products effortlessly and quickly. This brush gives my skin an airbrushed finish! It is an awesome brush. :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

YouAreAlways

(0) Hearts

I really like my sephora retractable kabuki. I often find other brushes TOO soft. 

Kimmie2013

I love my Real Techniques brushes, especially my expert face brush, but the handle just did not work for me.  My hand would get so tired after my foundation application.  So I bought the Sigma flat top kabuki and an IT Cosmetics flat top kabuki.  All of them are good, but I am in love with the IT Cosmetics brush.  It is so soft and dense and it leaves my face looking so smooth.  Also, I noticed that I use less foundation with it as compared to what I would with the Real Techniques brush.  I now own 3 IT Cosmetics brushes and I love them all.  I wouldn't buy the brushes alone because they are pricey.  I bought them through QVC since they have great deals.

Chloes3

Ooo It Cosmetics - have always wanted to try!  Thanks for the QVC tip, I'll keep my eye out for their sets!

tsy59

LOVE the Urban Decay Good Karma brush! It's so soft and very multipurpose-- I've used it to apply cream, powder, and liquid foundation. It just buffs the product into the skin so perfectly and has a nice handle. Check it out in store!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • ilovebears
    • Kimmie2013
    • Chloes3