beautifyme123

Bad color match

[ Edited ]

So yesterday I went to Sephora and the sales girl I used the new IQ machine on me, after it gave her the  # I went ahead and bought the Kate van d foundation& powder, and the mufe foundation in the colors that were recommended for me, well when I got home and tried those colors on I looked like oompa-loompa the colors were so off that I can't believe that the IQ  came up with these numbers for me, what should I do now ?

anyone had the same problem ?

laima

Re: Bad color match

(0) Hearts

Last Sunday, I went to Sephora and got matched as a 1R06. Today, I got matched as 1Y06. Well, which is it? The Sales Associate didn't "like" those matches, so tried something else on my face. I looked grey. Tomorrow, I am going to return a little bag full of make-up that I felt compelled to purchase.

martianeskimo

(0) Hearts

I have the same problem. I've been given the wrong shade a zillion times (usually too dark/orange) so now I just take my mom with me and have her help me choose my foundation and, so far, the colors I've gotten work perfectly lol

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Definitely take them back and get the right colors and just get matched by an SA hopefully that will go better for you. Hope this helps!

beautifyme123

Thanks, for all the great advise !!!

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I haven't tried it in store. but i have just for fun looked up existing purchases to see what matches it came up with .. some were accurate and others were way off. Usually if the shade has too much pink, it will go orange on me too. I would definitely swatch them yourself in store. Usually i will match myself because only you will know what you like. And then if i need more assistance i will ask and see if what they pick is close to what shade i liked. Especially if i am stuck between 2 shades.. Did you get the liquid in both and the powder in kat von d?

what shades and also what shades are you in other brands/fdns?

beautifyme123

(0) Hearts

Aviscardi/ getting back to your question . I got the new powder and liquid from Kate van d line and the mufe foundation as well, both are to dark and orange for me, the mufe is to dark as well.

my problem is that I'm pale on my face but on my neck and chest I have more red/ pink tones ,but the IQ didn't match my face or my chest or my neck, so I ended up looking like oompa-loompa , to tanned and orange ;-(

beautifyme123

(0) Hearts

I also wanted to add, in the store the makeup usually looks okay ,but when you go out or add your powder ,blush what not you don't get the right color, so with that said I have never been matched right and the lights in the store are not the best either, even when I think the color is good outdoors it's either to pink/ or to yellow, what's a girl to do !!! I know what your thinking,try going outside !

tried going outside once after color match and that didn't work either.

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Hi beutifyme123,

I often find that MUFE and KVD products can be a tad bit difficult to match correctly. I almost always will request a couple of samples of a new foundation color to test out for several days before purchasing a shade.

I'd recommend going back and trying shades in a different color family, it sounds like you may have yellow undertones.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Titian06

(0) Hearts

My Sephora doesn't have the Color IQ machine.  However, I tried the Color IQ on-line.  It came back with a real hodge-podge of colors!  I'm with @jenblush, I've pretty much given up on finding a foundation that matches.  I thought this new technology would work, but it sounds like neither the in-store machine, nor the on-line gadget does a very good job.

veevali

(0) Hearts

I actually had a pretty good experience. Did everyone take off all their makeup as well before they did the test? Then my MA helped me put on two different foundations from the list and they both matched! Even though they did not look like they would from the bottle...

I wanted to get the kat Von d foundation, got two different shade samples but they were not on my list. and they really didn't match. Unfortunately I don't think there is a kat Von d one that matches me :smileysad: 

ive kind just stuck to one shade fits all/the light-medium-dark foundations. I've never been properly shade matched before, even at mac, before the iq thing.

accountant9

(0) Hearts

I had a good experience too! The lady told me to take off my makeup, and she used the machine, and she applied a BB Cream and the BareMinerals foundation I wanted to try for me. It looked good, and she had me step away from the lighted mirror and look at it to make sure it looked good on me. I never would have picked out that shade on my own, and it looks so natural on me! I love the Color IQ match.

chauncie

(0) Hearts

lol ive been color matched with the IQ machine two separate times ( at different locations). the 1st time I was matched with about 7 different foundations, and out of the 7 I picked 1 a Lancôme one. I bought it because I thought it was my "perfect match" (I was matched with the lightest color). Well I got home and put it on the next day, and it was dark pink on my skin! It looked horrible. I took it back, and got a 2nd color match. This time I only had 1 match....it was the SAME foundation that I was returning that day!!! All I could do was just laugh.

I don't think this "Color IQ" machine works that well...My cousin was also color matched, and her color was about 4 shades darker than her skin tone.

Its a fun idea, but I think it needs to be tweaked more for it to work better lol.

michmo

I haven't been color matched by the machine, but thankfully twice in my life I've been given really good foundation matches from Sales people.  

I have found that if you do have a foundation that works really well for you putting it in on the color iq page has given me more, and still accurate, matches.  

http://www.sephora.com/color-iq?searchTerm=color%20iq&_requestid=12623

When I put in my current foundation, the color of my previous foundation comes up as a match, which makes me somewhat confident in the system.  

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

thats what i did, i go by one i have and see what it lists for me

beautifyme123

When I tell you how bad my color match was ,that when I put on the foundation  that I got matched to. My husband came home as I was finishing to put on the foundation and he said and I quote " what happened to you ,you look like a different person , I had to double check the address to make sure I walked into the right house" Lol!!! Can you imagine.

the problem is that the sales girls are not matching me right, and the machine isn't either, I just don't know what to do I have about 8-10 foundations in the draw that I can't use,at this point I don't know what will work for me anymore,once I was color matched cool undertones , warm undertones, now I think I was matched orange( yes believe me !) I can't keep up anymore,and my wallet can't either,  no wonder I'm a VIP ROUGE,who wouldn't be with so much makeup just sitting around in the drawers. Lol !!!!

i want to know did anybody get a good color match with the new IQ MACHINE ?

beautifyme123

(0) Hearts

I also wanted to add do you check the IQ on the face or on the neck , the sales girl checked my neck ,not the face not that it matters because the color was off for the face and neck, but I was wondering if I go to Sephora to do the returns , should I have them try it on the face this time ?

veevali

(0) Hearts

My person did both, I believe it was one click on each cheek and one on the neck? I wonder if the machine accidentally catches a dark spot if it is what messes everything up for some people?

JenBlush

(0) Hearts

the reason they matched it to your neck is because your neck is always darker than your face, and usually you want a foundation to match with your neck. If you get a shade that matches your face, your face will look too white compared to your neck. That is why usually people blend the foundation or bronzer down their neck so that you have an even color! 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

well that is all relative. My neck is lighter than my face. Some people will have their chest and arms darker than their face so they will match it to that. i just try to get it within the area and blend down my neck. My hands and arms are also more yellow and a little darker than the rest of me

beautifyme123

Thanks ladies, great advise, I hope I will find one color that matches my face ,my neck, anything I just want to find a color that matches something Lol!!!

it would be nice to know that there is one color out there that matches my skin tone ( you would think) I will keep searching until I get it, in the mean time my make-up draw will have to keep getting fuller, and I will add to my collection of makeup that's not wearable ;-(.

again, thanks for all your help ladies.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • chauncie
    • janinebt
    • mafan
    • beautylovingirl