Bad breakouts lately...help!

I have very oily acne prone skin and I have been breaking out pretty bad recently on my cheeks, chin, and along my jawline. I'm not sure if it's just 1 product that's breaking me out or my whole routine. 

I'm currently using in the morning: first aid beauty facial cleanser, clean&clear essentials deep cleaning toner for sensitive skin, and the murad oil control mattifier. In the evening: same cleanser and toner, loreal revitalift serum, josie maran argan oil light, and twice a week I use the dr. jart pore medic @ home peel, and benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment when needed

The breakouts are pretty large and not just 1 or 2 at a time but several, I haven't had a breakout like this in a long time...so frustrating! Anyway are there other products I should try instead? I want to use gentle products and products that won't cause my oily skin to overreact. I would also like to incorporate as much drugstore products as possible!

Thank you all! :smileyhappy:

Re: Bad breakouts lately...help!

(0) Hearts

Check out this post to see what other people's regimens are to compare what you are using or what you could potentially substitute to prevent breakouts! 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Oily/Skincare-Regimes-Let-s-talk-about-them/m-p/1599464#M2249

(0) Hearts

Same thing happened to me. It's probably the argan oil :smileysad: I know that my skin HATES that stuff. Super bummed. It caused me to get super painful pimples that were under my skin and huge whiteheads. It was disgusting and took a good 2 weeks for it to totally clear up.

(0) Hearts

I've also tried the Tarte Maracuja oil and that caused breakouts too so I decided to try the josie maran oil instead. I think my skin just doesn't like oils so now I'm on the hunt for a new night time moisturizer!

(0) Hearts

Hi kyleejo,

Are any of the products you are using new to your routine? I know from personal experience the Josie Maran Argan Oil Light caused my skin to break out. I suggestion eliminating the Clean & Clear Essentials Toner from your routine. The toner is full of alcohol and is not really doing anything to benefit the skin. Sometimes when a toner is high in alcohol, it can dry out your skin, which can cause your skin to overproduce oil, which in turn can cause your skin to break out more. 

Best,
Randee

(0) Hearts

I've heard the argan oil can cause breakouts too, I'm going to try it a little longer and see if that's what's breaking me out? If it is what moisturizer do you suggest for oily skin? What would you suggest to replace the toner? 

(0) Hearts

Hi kyleejo!

I recommend trying Dior's Hydra Life Pro-Youth Sorbet Creme. It is one of my favorites! It is more of a gel-cream texture and does a wonderful job delivering the perfect amount of moisture to the skin. 

One of my favorite toners is Jurlique's Rosewater Balancing Mist. This toner is incredibly soothing and really helps my skin feel refreshed after cleansing. You can also use this toner throughout the day if you feel like your skin needs extra hydration. 

Best,
Randee

(0) Hearts

The same thing has been happening to me! Huge breakouts right along my jaw line...what spot treatment do you use? Does the murad oil control mattifier help your oiliness? I am very oily too...

(0) Hearts

I'm using the AcneFree spot treatment right now but it's almost gone then I'm going to try the Clean & Clear Persa Gel, I've heard it works very well. The murad mattifier does help with my oiliness but I still do get oily just not as much as before.

(0) Hearts

What percentage of benzoyl peroxide is in your spot treatment? 

Breakouts along the chin or lower portion of the face are often tied into hormonal causes (skin care professionals will tell you that those along forehead are often stress-related, while those along the center of the face such as the nose or cheeks is dietary-related, and those along the lower portion of the face or jaw are hormonal based). 

Keep in mind even minor or daily things such as constantly touching your face/affected area with unclean hands, having your cellphone touching to the side of your face/chin, and even laundering time frames for bed sheets and pillow cases can all contribute to oils or bacteria being reintroduced onto skin and provoking more break outs.

(0) Hearts

My spot treatment is 10% I believe. I'm cautious about trying not to touch my face and I will clean my phone off and see if that helps any, thanks!

(0) Hearts

Have you been using these products for a while or are one or more new to your routine? If something is new, you might want to stop using it to see if your skin clears up. If nothing is new and your skin started breaking out suddenly, it could be an allergic reaction to something else like food or bath products or even detergents.

(0) Hearts

I've been using them for around 3 weeks if I'm remembering right. 

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

If you've been using all the products mentioned for only 3 weeks, then your skin is freaking out. It more ideal to incorporate one new item into a current routine for a few weeks before adding anything else new, to see how that one new item reacts and it's easier to pinpoint what is causing a reaction. I would cut out items to let the skin calm down, then gradually add in a new item.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 8 in conversation