avengersgal

Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel (PTR) vs Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay (FAB)?

I have oily, acne prone skin and am 23. I am trying to decide which cleanser to use as my daily cleanser. My current regimen has been using Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel. Followed by the Sephora Collection 8 hour Mattifying sunscreen moisturizer. Then in the evening, Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel followed by OLE Henriksen Invigorating Night Gel, in combination with Sheer Transformation. I also recently started using OLE's walnut scrub and lemon strip peel once a week. However, I got a sample of the FAB skin rescue red clay mask and I have literally never said this about a product, but it showed instant results! Not only did my skin look much smoother, but the following morning my skin was matte the whole day! I am now considering switching the PTR gel cleanser for the FAB red clay daily gel cleanser and also adding KORRES pomegranate toner so I can still get some salicylic acid in my routine, as the FAB cleanser will not have any like the PTR cleanser does. 

avengersgal

Re: Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel (PTR) vs Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay (FAB)?

Thanks so much for both of your replies! I definitely have sensitive, acne-prone skin. And I have found the PTR cleanser to be slightly stinging at times, because I do know his formulas are pretty potent. I was originally planning on having the salicylic acid to help both fight blemishes and control oil. However, after reading both comments I think I will definitely go with the FAB red clay cleanser. When I did speak to a Sephora rep, she did say that the FAB red clay would be much more gentle, but still very effective in cleansing than the PTR cleanser. I have read many reviews for the red clay and a lot of people with oily skin as myself have been able to use it daily. 

I have been using the PTR cleanser twice daily and will plan on using the FAB red clay cleanser twice daily. Again, I will be purchasing the KORRES pomegranate toner along with it, that was I can still get some salicylic acid in my routine to help combat blemishes. 

As far as a spot treatment, I really feel like Ole H. invigorating night gel really helps with fighting blemishes over night and making them heal pretty quickly, but if you have any suggestions for spot treatments just let me know! I definitely am looking towards more oil control as my OLE H. sheer transformation moisturizer does a wonderful brightening job, alongside adding my exfoliating walnut scrub and lemon strip peel should maintain plenty of skin cell regeneration and re-surfacing. 

I may just purchase the cleanser first and use for a couple weeks before adding the KORRES pomegranate toner, i was just wanting to have some salicylic acid in my regimen to combat acne. I have also recently completed a session of clindamycin phosphate gel (acne antibiotic treat), my doctor had prescribed me to use it for a whole month, and yes the amount of blemishes have decreased, it has not performed a miracle. 

Thanks Again!

lylysa

Re: Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel (PTR) vs Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay (FAB)?

(0) Hearts

If you're on the more sensitive side, you may check out Boscia's Black Detox Cleansing Gel as well. Rather than clay, which does tend to be more drying while purifying/detoxing, it utilizes charcoal to absorb oil and impurities.

Is your skin THAT oily to merit a morning cleanse? If your face isn't a shining grease pit when you wake up, you may not require a cleanse. In fact, overcleansing can strip skin of natural oils and cause dryness or even an overcompensation/increase in oil production. Consider using the Korres toner in the morning as a quick pick-me-up for skin. 

Kate Somerville's 24 Hour Pimple Punisher is a great AM/PM treatment that uses calming/soothing ingredients to tone down inflammation and sensitivity for blemishes but also combats them as well.

Since you mention being on a prescription acne treatment, check with your skin care professional about your routine as well to be sure no over the counter products will interfere with the effectiveness of the gel, you may also seek on how to proceed in terms of the results from the gel thus far and whether this is something to continue to cease/swap from.

avengersgal

(0) Hearts

I guess I can't say that I wake up as a grease ball in the morning, but definitely by mid-morning (11am 12pm), I definitely feel that I am. Also I use the OH invigorating night treatment and if I don't rinse if off in the morning it lingers. Funny story, I tried the three step white acne set from Bosica's line and the Sephora rep also recommended me buying the konjac cleansing charcoal sponge. In the sponge's box I was able to try the black detox cleansing gel as it was in a sample. I did enjoy the warming sensation, and I was never really able to see how it worked as I was just using the charcoal sponge with the bosica clear complexion kit. Well unfortunately, the kit broke me out horribly, I never really knew if it was the sponge doing that or the actual kit, i just took it all back and got my money! 

I heard recently that over washing your face is a lot worse for your skin and that it does strip/cause over-production. I will start just using the toner in the morning to see how that works. I will get a sample of the kate somerville's 24 hour pimple punisher and see how my spots react, but I was also considering her Eradikate spot treatment. I'll probably just get samples of both and see what works best. 

I have completed the acne treatment gel a week ago, so I am in the clear for going back to a regular skin regimen, I'll be heading into Sephora this weekend to try out products. I will probably buy the FAB red clay purifying cleanser and if it feels too drying then I will reduce the usage and buy the bosica black detox cleansing gel for daily use instead and see if that works better, I've learned it's all about trial and error....

lylysa

(0) Hearts

How much of the OH Invigorating Gel are you using? When you first apply it does it absorb down? How does it wear on your skin? Are you applying it before or after your night moisturizer?

The Boscia Black Cleanser is different than the one in the acne kit, so if it's the kit that broke you out, you may give the Black Cleanser a try as it was just a sample with the sponge.

The EradiKate treatment is a sulfur based treatment that will better serve toward whiteheads/pustular blemishes as sulfur dries the head out. Salicylic acid is still one of the broadest covering ingredients for blemishes, but to quickly treat whiteheads, sulfur based products are very efficient at that. Be sure not to over use at the start. Sulfur spot treatments can be applied even upwards of 2-3x a day, but due to the drying factor it may or may not overdry an area, so try using it 1x a day to see how skin reacts if you are unfamiliar with that ingredient.

Try keeping a skin care journal as well, especially with the completion of your prescription, skin is definitely more apt to a change period so to ensure you can keep track of products, external contributors and any new changes, writing things down can definitely help and give you a better understanding of your skin! :smileyhappy:

avengersgal

I am mixed with white and black so I have a tan skin color and I mainly deal with white heads, I rarely if ever have a black head. I only use the OH invigorating night gel at night time. I wash my face with the PTR anti-aging gel cleanser (which again I'd like to change up because although it has been effective, I feel it strips me too much and can be stingy at times). I think it works awesome, it's hard to describe how it sets, it's more like a serum than a moisturizer. It is not overly drying at all and in the morning my acne spots always diminish significantly, I have really felt that it expedites a spot reduction. At night I always layer the OH sheer transformation on top of it, but I have heard that the FAB ultra repair cream is an amazing moisturizer, even for individuals with oily, acne prone skin. OH i know is also like PTR in chemical potency, so with my sensitive skin I am always trying to look for natural products that will still remain effective. 

There have been so many good reviews on the bosica black cleanser, I'm just so timid from detoxing it too much that I will go through a purge, which I've recently heard isn't really a thing, but a myth, I'm not really sure. 

I'm glad to hear that about the EradiKate as I really do have more white heads/pustular blemishes. I will definitely start to keep a skin journal, that is a fantastic idea, I have never thought of. I also have been trying to do a lot more research on my diet. I am very athletic and workout almost every day, but I still tend to eat whatever, especially sugary foods. I heard that small things such as switching to almond milk can help with flare ups...I could even post a pic of my complexion if that helps...

lylysa

(0) Hearts

If it's mainly whiteheads that you get then the EradiKate will help significantly. The OH Invigorating Gel is more of a treatment rather than a moisturizer (although some with oily skin find its texture serves just fine as a moisturizer as well if they normally have issues with lotions or creams). Be sure to use the proper amount needed of that and the Sheer Transformation (both which go to support evening skin tone, with the OH IG serving more toward resurfacing and thus diminishing blemishes overnight) to prevent skin from feeling too heavy or with residue when you wake.

The FAB moisturizer is quite steller; however, I would suggest obtaining a sample just to sit how it would work with your skin in particular. For certain oily/blemish prone skin types it may be to rich so test it out to see how it works for you. In fact, FAB has a mini kit of the original gentle cleanser, the brightening/resurfacing pads, and moisturizer you may consider.

If you end up getting the FAB Red Clay, I wouldn't advise swapping back and fourth with the Boscia Black as both are detoxifying cleansers and having daily use and change between clay-heavy and charcoal-heavy cleansers may be too much. Use either or, and if you must pair a gentle cleanser, opt for the original FAB one. Keep in mind you can still utilize clay and charcoal, but in different aspects. For example, if you end up with the FAB cleansers, try a charcoal mask (like ones from Origins or GlamGlow) as a weekly treatment all over or just on problem areas and if you end up with the Boscia Black Cleanser and the FAB original, try a clay-based mask instead like the FAB Red Clay Mask, that way you can still use and combine effective ingredients but have them spaced out to not overwhelm skin.

avengersgal

(0) Hearts

Well this weekend I will definitely get an EradiKate sample and the FAB moisturizer sample. Also what are your thoughts on the OH lemon strip peel and OH walnut scrub. I have been using both of these together once a week. I was told by a rep that one should either exfoliate or peel right before a mask so that the mask is able to better absorb into the skin. I love the OH walnut scrub, it smells absolutely amazing and it really makes my skin soft, also I have found it to be the only non-exfoliator that is non-abrasive, it's so gentle! I only got the lemon strip peel to deal with acne scarring, again I have a light tan complexion, so dark spots are a problem for me. I found this also to not be as harsh or chemically feeling on my skin at all. I have gotten the OH truth serum large sample , but have not used it as I was told to only use it once my acne cleared up more so that I could see the brightening effects.

If you really don't think using the FAB red clay cleanser daily is a good idea if I also plan on getting the FAB clay mask, then I will probably just purchase the Boscia Black and the full sized FAB red clay mask, again I just have never seen as instant wonderful results with any other product for my skin then the FAB red clay mask. If i feel the Boscia Black breaks me out or has a bad reaction, I will probably buy the FAB red clay cleanser, and if that is too harsh, I will try the FAB original....but I definitely will be buying the KORRES pomegranate toner and FAB red clay mask this weakend, and more than likely the Boscia Black cleanser (it's reviews are so high!) If i get the Boscia Black cleanser should I only use that in the evening and maybe get the Fab original for the AM?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

It may be tricky to do a sample of the EradiKate as it's a dual phase liquid, but you can certainly try it in stores (don't shake the bottle, just dunk a q-tip into the bottle then dot on whiteheads).

I'm fans of the OH Lemon Peel and Walnut Scrub (it's in their Power Peel trio); however, it's important to also have skin care products cater to your skin's needs and points you're looking to address.

In terms of your skin tone, chemical based exfoliants or brightening agents like citric acids, kojic acid, alpha hydroxy acids (mainly the ones used are glycolic and lactic), arbutin, and hydroquinone won't "bleach" your skin or cause dramatic lightening in your natural complexion. If you are looking to invest in a physical scrub focus on what type of physical component is used. You'll come across formulas with sugar granuals (try to avoid as these are rough in texture), fruit seed powders (St. Ives' Apricot Scrub is to be avoided as the particles are jagged; however, in the case of the Ole Walnut Scrub I find the particles much finer), jojoba beads/esters (soft, spherical in nature as to not scratch), microcrystals (good if you like that fine, slightly gritty feel like sugar but are more gentle), and silica particles (very fine in texture, also one of the more gentle options). For blemishes, especially those with heads like whiteheads, you have to be very careful with utilizing a scrub with physical components as you don't want to be abrasive and cause microtears and further inflame skin. Keep in mind that scrubs with physical components will mainly target topical layers of skin compared to chemical exfoliants (like what is utilized in the OH Lemon Peel). Chemical exfoliants don't provide that physical sensation of "scrubbing" skin, but rely on enzymes and acids derived from various sources to break down topical layers of excess dead cells but also penetrate and work on a cellular level by boosting and promoting healthier cellular regeneration to ensure the skin cells you are removing are being replaced by healthier and better quality ones.

It's important to not over do it with peels, scrubs, and masks. Peels and scrubs both target resurfacing, whether it's purely on a physical sense or even targeting both (certain scrubs also contain chemical exfoliant agents too so they work to regenerate cells along with breaking down dead cells and buffing them off). Masks can vary from those that impart and condition skin and those which detox, clarify, and aim to withdraw from the skin.

Finding a balance in routine and product is important. For example, if you were looking to use both the OH Lemon Peel and Walnut Scrub in addition to the FAB Red Clay Mask within one week, you're removing and drawing out a lot from your skin. A better option may be to do the Lemon Peel or Walnut Scrub on (for example) Monday, and wait at least 2-3 days (or even 4) before you do the FAB Red Clay Mask. That way you're giving your skin a grace period to essentially rejuevenate and process the treatment step. 

The Ole Truth Serum can still be used on acne-prone skin, but of course, be mindful as to how your individual skin reacts and takes to it. Since the serum is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, it's a great tool in the morning to further combat free radical damage and protect skin, all the while supporting a brighter and more even complexion from post acne marks.

In terms of the FAB Red Clay Cleanser, as I don't know exactly the degree of oil your skin produces and suffers from, there's no way for me to say "avoid it" entirely or "absolutely go for it", I can certainly aid in guiding you to find products that may serve toward your skin and issues you wish to address, but only you can make the decision at the end of the day. 

It's very easy to want to go overboard and attack an issue on any and all fronts to get results and make changes; however, it's important to take things slow as result time can vary and accumulative results may even wait further down the line. You don't want to concentrate so much on removing oil, mattifying, purifying, detoxing, clarifying, blemish treatment, oil control, and such factors to the point where you end up overstripping skin and then have a slew of new issues to face. 

Again, try to avoid cleansing in the morning if it's not absolutely necessary. If you're purchasing the toner, try using that as the morning "refreshen" step. Even though the original FAB cleanser is gentle, misuse of even the most gentle of products can yield improper results or bring on new problems.

Definitely start with the skin care journal, list and detail out your steps in terms of products used, the order, even how much, what time of day they were used, and supplementary steps like masks, peels, and scrubs. You can also feel free to message me any time for one-on-one counsel or keep the thread updated or start a new thread if another inquiry occurs.

avengersgal

Sounds wonderful! I will definitely start keeping an updated journal and I am also really going to start being more mindful of stripping my skin. I will definitely start using the toner in the morning only. I will make my purchases this weekend and I will message you and keep you posted. All of this has really, really helped tremendously. Thank you! 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

My pleasure, AvengersGal! I hope your shopping trip is a success. :smileyhappy:

aviscardi

Oh , il add to below. I think both cleansers were too much for my combo/normal (i was combo/dry the time i tried the PTR- it was recommended by someone in sephora when i was looking for a weekend cleanser to alt. w/).

I would go with the FAB cleanser, i usually like to suggest soap free cleansers but if you wanted to still use PTR maybe you can use that 1-2x a week

lylysa

Are you currently washing once or twice a day?

In terms of debating between the PTR and the FAB cleanser, consider what you're looking to address.

The FAB cleanser will focus on purifying and detoxing skin with components to draw out impurities plus oil and decongest pores while the PTR cleanser has the feature where resurfacing skin's texture along with boosting healthier cellular regeneration is involved with mild purifying.

Now, formula versus formula, the PTR one does contain sodium laurel sulfate, which is a lathering agent that in excess can strip essential oils from skin and can lead to the backlash of drying skin out or even causing skin to overcompensate in oil production while the FAB formula does not have SLS.

Both do have botanical aspects to target brightening and maintaining and even skin tone (FAB with licorice and white tea and PTR with citric acids and glycolic acid), but the PTR formula will be more potent in this field.

The FAB cleaner may better cater toward oil control, regulation, and purifying if you're looking for your cleanser to tackle those territories as opposed to regeneration and resurfacing while balancing (PTR).

If you do switch to the FAB cleanser, consider this, the oil aspect will be covered by the clay, but what exactly are you wanting the salicylic acid to target? SA works to regulate oil and dissolve sebum within pores, but are you wanting the SA for the oil-control aspects or to address the blemishes? If it's more for blemishes try using a spot treatment so you're not doing double duty in the oil department. Depending on how oily your skin is, the clay/FAB cleanser may be able to address the oil as is, leaving you to combat blemishes with spot/target treatments as to not sensitize or overwhelm non-affected portions.

avengersgal

thanks so much for all the great info, i replied in the post!

aviscardi

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

are both FAB cleansers soap free? I have the original and love it. I also have the red clay but i felt like it was too much daily (currently combo/normal), maybe just 1x  a week.  i use the original on weekends and fresh soy on weekdays

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Yes, both the original and clay cleansers in FAB's line are sulfate free.

The clay version would cater much better to someone who's oil is more intense and they actually need their cleanser to purify and draw out oil to that degree. Most purifying/oily-skin masks are clay based so the use of the ingredient can be quite potent and maybe even too much for daily use, but you brought up a great point of using it as a supplementary cleanser where its used every so often based off one's skin/oil circumstances.

aviscardi

Oh great, i thought they were but i didn't see it advertised, just from reading the ingredients. Like fresh has soap and fragrance free on the box. I think that's why i bought the original mini to try. I got the red clay in some perk, I wasn't sure if it was worth keeping and using once a week. I remember using it maybe 2x sat/sun, for maybe 2 weeks but it was too drying/ I had to look back in my purchase, looks like i tried it in June. and i haven't been too oily lately even in my usual areas.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

The FAB original cleanser is very gentle, I find I keep smaller promo, trial, or perk items if they will actually cater to my skin at some point. For example, the white GlamGlow mask, I have a mini tube and though I don't need to even use it weekly, I use it as a spot mask on blemishes when they do pop up to help address them for that immediate instance rather than slather it on when skin isn't suffering any pimples, that way I won't throw off the balance of my skin but can still have it when I need it.

aviscardi

Oh true, as long as ive had it i haven't used it that way. Do you keep it on for just a few mins? I use it as a mask maybe 2xs a mon for 10min and only on my cheeks chin and nose, i don't spread it to the edges either so that it's not on areas i don't need.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

In terms of the white GG mask, yeah, I leave it on for a few minutes, just until it dries then I rinse it off. It's funny because I'll have two or three gray dots on my face when using it but no where else. :smileytongue:

aviscardi

lol ha, when i use it my hubby can't look at me hahaha. Ok maybe i will try that this weekend then, i used it the week before. have you tried the hydrating or treatment one yet? the youthmud is the only one i didn't like, i found it too drying.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • lylysa
    • avengersgal