Lissycake

Allergy to only red lipstick?

Last Christmas I used a drugstore red lipstick, and by the end of the day I was covered in hives.  The next day I had to take myself to a care now, get two epi en shots and a steroid injection, then stay doped up on benadryl the next two days! Weirdly enough though, I use red hair dye like every week, and I can use red lip liner to color my brows, but as soon as it touches my lips I get at lease one hive.

The drug store brand doesn't list ingredients so I can't figure it out that way, is the only way for me to figure out which red dye I'm allergic to by picking and choosing different products with different dyes until I'm not allergic to one?  Or should I just give up on my red lipped quest? 

BabyD0LL1982

Re: Allergy to only red lipstick?

(0) Hearts

Hi Lissycake! Such a bummer. I went through that last summer, blisters all over and my lips puffed up bad and everything hurt to put on it. It sucked so bad that I had to take steroids and could only use vitamin E oil and lanolin for the whole summer. I actually like the brand "love and toast"'s lip glazes, about $5 or $6. Its a gorgeous red glaze all from organic ingredients and is vegan I believe. I noticed also that I am able to use lippies from urban decay,stila and nyx. Oh! Josie Maran has awesome lippies too that I love. Good luck! <3

thechicgeek

(0) Hearts

Hi Lissycake,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and I definitely agree with mafan and nebel. Your health is the priority and with a reaction that severe you should consider seeing an allergist. On the lipstick front you may want to try the Fruit Pigmented Lip Glazes made by 100% pure. They are 100% natural, 100% vegan, gluten free and colored with fruit and vegetable pigments instead of minerals or synthetic dyes. They have a several different shades of red.Hope that helps, good luck. 

mafan

You might try google and check out red dye allergy.  It seems that reactions to #40 are common and you might have had other symptoms that are not so severe that you've put down to something else.

If you can tell for certain that this was in the lipstick that you used you might try another, but I'd be really careful about experimenting.  With a reaction this severe, it might really be worth seeing an allergist to be tested and see what you're allergic to.  Once you have an allergic reaction you could have worse ones next time, and the dye that you reacted to could be in other things that you don't even know about.

nebel

agree 100% with what Mafan said! Allergic reactions are nothing to mess around with.  I'd make an appointment with an allergy doctor and get allergy tested so you know specifically what products you need to avoid!

Lissycake

(0) Hearts

I've looked into it a little, #40 is most common, but #22 has aluminium, which I'm also not fond of (itchy rashes, anyone?), so I'm thinking that might be the culprit.  It's just so hard to get the ingredients lists for most of the products out there.

keelybt

(0) Hearts

@Lissycakes The company shouldn't have a problem providing you with the ingredient list.  I would just send them an email asking for it.  A lot of companies don't like their ingredients posted online, but will provide them when asked.

keelybt

Hi Lissycake Oh no!  I've heard of the red dye allergy around the eye area, but not the lips.  That said, everyone's skin is different and it can be challenging to figure out exactly what ingredient is the culprit.  I would recommend contacting the company directly for the ingredient list and perhaps take it to your dermatologist. Do you have the same reaction to the red lip liner you own?

Lissycake

(0) Hearts

Out of curiosity, I used the lip liner I have as a brow pencil on my lips just to see what would happen, and I broke out into a single hive on my lip, which was actually really weird because before my allergic reaction never occurred on my mouth, just everywhere else!

reeksp

(0) Hearts

Hi Lissycake, 

I recently discovered that I am also allergic to red and dark pink lip products. Just out of curiosity, have you found any lip products that do not make you break out into hives? Because I have not and it is very disappointing for me because I am a lipstick junkie and also a makeup artist, so it really, really sucks!

thechicgeek

(0) Hearts

You may want to try the Fruit Pigmented Lip Glazes made by 100% pure. They are 100% natural, 100% vegan, gluten free and colored with fruit and vegetable pigments instead of minerals or synthetic dyes. They have a several different shades of red and pink.Hope that helps, good luck.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • thechicgeek
    • mafan
    • nebel
    • Lissycake
    • BabyD0LL1982