All about Luxury skincare! Come in and chat about your skincare, treatments, tools and products

Hello beauty talk members, I see so many color threads here. I love to chat about luxury skincare products and procedures. I am addicted to trying new things and am always on the lookout for something new in skincare. 

Have a favorite luxury brand or product? 

Have a fav skin tool or treatment? Please share.

Curious about botox? Spa treatments and peels? let's share our experiences here .

We can also post good GWP's, and specials. Smiley Happy

Re: All about Luxury skincare! Come in and chat about your skincare, treatments, tools and products

Not sure if this is luxury skincare - but it is a boutique brand.  So here goes:

I have tried a couple of products from Leahlani - the Mermaid mask and Champagne serum.

Not for me.

Mermaid mask - This mask is okay, but not stand out.  I will use it up, but don't plan a repurchase.

The product came to me looking very stiff (not the moussy texture shown on their website).  I communicated with the brand and they recommended I add some water and mix it up.  I did that and was able to get it pliable enough to apply it.  So no biggie.  It has honey in it.  Honey on my skin is either ineffective or drying.  I like this mask better than the Farmacy honey potion mask (that was a complete no).

Champagne serum: I used this twice.  First time I was underwhelmed and didn't try it again for a while.  I used it again yesterday and after an hour I wiped my face off with a tissue.  

The serum feels hydrating when going on.  But it isn't lasting.  In fact, it feels silicony to me.  Silicony products also feel smooth going on but are not really hydrating.  My face felt dehydrated and tight (not in a good way).  It also sat on top of my skin.  After an hour I wiped it off and applied my hydrating oil.  

There might be other products that could work better for me....but I usually give up if the first few products are no gos.

Re: All about Luxury skincare! Come in and chat about your skincare, treatments, tools and products

(0) Hearts

Hi ladies

I tried my hardest and did a board search for this question but since the thread is 44 pages long, please forgive me for just going forward and asking!

I'm currently using Korres Wild Rose Vitamin C Active Brightening Oil as my facial oil. I love what it does for my skin but, oh god, I HATE the floating pieces of dried roses they add to it! I'm about 3/4 of the way done with the bottle and those rose petals just keep chipping down and getting sucked into the dropper and I'm almost ready to throw in the towel!

SO I'm getting ready to buy a new facial oil. It's bordering on the line of "so expensive I would never tell my friends or family how much I paid for this" but I think I want to try Herbivore Phoenix oil. I love the Blue Tansy mask I have from them and just the company overall impresses me.

Basically, does anyone here use this product? Love it? Hate it? Neutral?

(and Jeeze Louise I'll try to be more succinct next time! Thanks, all!)

(0) Hearts

@starsandbucks I've used up a whole bottle of the orchid oil (I have dry skin for reference) and I liked it but not loved it.

it was more hydrating than my current oil from the ordinary rosehip that I'm trying out

but like it didn't suddenly give me glowy perfectly bright hydrated skin that I'm after.

i think they're quality oils but I also hope there's something else better out there

i know it's not the same oil, but I think you'll be happy with it and they have such pretty bottles

(0) Hearts

@sierrafallon Thank you! The packaging is SO pretty! I keep the Blue Tansy mask front and center on my vanity because I love aesthetic so much. 

The C firma DE at my local store yesterday were from the darkish batch. So i didn't get it, I still haven't finished my current bottle.

I think the most certain way to get the new batch is ordering directly from DE

I ordered the DE C-Firma online from the sephora sale and was glad to see that it was from the newer batch (light honey color). Sorry to hear YoiFran that the one you saw in store was from an older batch.

(0) Hearts

@uscgirlie thanks for letting me know. I might order it today 😊

Anytime @YoiFran! Fingers crossed that you also receive a new batch if you order it! 

Anyone try Uma Oils? I know @greenchilli loves them! I bought the Face Sample set from their site for $70; it includes 5 different face oils. I tried the Total Rejuvenation Night Oil last night. I liked it! The scent was nice and light which I do like in general. My skin felt very hydrated this AM. I'm not sure if it's any better than May Lindstrom's Youth Dew, but I enjoy it considerably more than Mahalo's Vitality Elixir. Interested to hear other experiences with the line. 

Hi @mrsbaine, I bought the Brightening Oil but didn't find it did much for my skin (oily, acne-prone, but starting to see some lines here and there -- I'm now in my early 30s). However, I also got a deluxe sample of the Clarifying Oil and feel that that's really helped detox my skin so far. I liked it so much that I've ordered a full size which is on its way to me right now! For me, the scent doesn't bother me too much; I find it quite "energizing" if that makes sense.

@Mochapj@greenchilli -- I bought a few skincare items based off your recommendations (Uma Oils, Aurelia, Mahalo balm) and really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks so much for your advice! One quick question I had for the both of you just in case you know the answer to this -- do you know what order one should apply sunscreen with if we're also using an oil? I've read conflicting info -- e.g., 1) sunscreen should be used as the last step before makeup, but 2) oils act as a barrier and don't allow anything else to penetrate, so it seems that sunscreen may be less effective on top of an oil? I'm wondering how best to use my Uma oil in conjunction with sunscreen. Thanks for your advice!!

(0) Hearts

@uscgirlie glad to hear you've been turned on to some products that make your skin happy Smiley Happy

I will say, don't mind the scent of the Uma Brightening too much (it is strong, but it sort of reminds me of my mom's Christmas cake) but everyone else in my household (husband, pets) gets really upset when I use it, so I don't use it every day Smiley Very Happy

That said, I'm going to agree with @greenchilli suggestion here re: sunscreen.  I don't typically wear much in the way of creams, but I do always apply oils and then some form of balm on top (which is really just more solid oil, IMO) Having sunscreen as your final layer before makeup makes the most sense to me.  If you are really concerned about it, you could always get a misting sunscreen that you could apply over makeup when you are done? Or a base product that has SPF too?

(0) Hearts

@uscgirlie

I hope you are enjoying the oils!

I know it seems like common wisdom to apply oils last, but I never do that.  Every morning I apply Vintners Daughter and top it off with a moisturiser (Tata Harper or something else).

I prefer using a cream over an oil instead of vice versa.  Any oil I use, I massage into damp skin and make sure it absorbs well.  I think my favourite oils are ones that I know absorb well.  A cream over it just finishes it off.  I don't find that the oil is a barrier to absorption.

All this to say - I would suggest you massage in your oil, and then apply sunscreen over it.  Let us know how it works out....

@greenchilli I apply a cream to seal in the oil too and have been much happier with my hydration level since I switched it up that way

Thanks so much @greenchilli and @Mochapj! I'm glad to hear that you both advise wearing sunscreen over the oil. That's what I had been doing but was worried if I was doing it in the right order and protecting my skin appropriately. I'm a bit relieved now to know that it was fine all along Smiley Happy.

@Mochapj I just received the full-sized Uma Clarifying Oil and in the full-size bottle (compared to the tiny sample bottle I had), the scent is much more powerful and it's quite noticeable in the room I'm keeping it in! I also wish it didn't come in a clear bottle and hope Uma is right when they say that it doesn't actually affect the efficacy...

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've been using the Clarifying one since February @mrsbaine

It works really well but the scent of cloves in it (one of the primary ingredients) is very, very strong.  So strong in fact that it repels my pets Smiley Very Happy

I've tried minis from the 5pc sample set I got as a GWP when I bought it, but so far none of them have enticed me to buy any others.  

I like the product line, but am not a fan of the fact that it's in a clear bottle.  

FYI sign-up for the next Cult Beauty x Caroline Hirons box is up. Link is in Caroline's Instagram bio. Releasing in May.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My last order I placed with Cult, they send me a tracking number and the package was held at custom clearance for three days, now I am curious to see if they charge duties when it arrives. Before it I never got the tracking info and was never charged duties on packages less than £100 value. This one is around £60 so I'll see how it goes. It will help me decide if I want to continue shopping from Cult on regular basis or only when there is some extra Ordinary GWP or deal 😉 

Have they posted the contents and price of the box? @bonafide11

@fatimamummy My last order came like this and was also charged duties. It was under 100£ as well

(0) Hearts

I have a feeling I'll be charged duties as well @Mochapj

(0) Hearts

@fatimamummy who knows, you may not.

My postman and I are on a fairly friendly basis at this point and he told me that what goes through the customs charges process and what doesn't is completely random.

They don't just pull everything that is over a certain dollar value, so it really is just luck of the draw.