All about Luxury skincare! Come in and chat about your skincare, treatments, tools and products

Hello beauty talk members, I see so many color threads here. I love to chat about luxury skincare products and procedures. I am addicted to trying new things and am always on the lookout for something new in skincare. 

Have a favorite luxury brand or product? 

Have a fav skin tool or treatment? Please share.

Curious about botox? Spa treatments and peels? let's share our experiences here .

We can also post good GWP's, and specials. Smiley Happy

Re: All about Luxury skincare! Come in and chat about your skincare, treatments, tools and products

I went through the comments and it sounds like the coloration on the right is for recent batches. Gothamista responded to a comment about a dark serum purchase from 3 months ago, saying that was the old formula. So "new" is pretty recent. The newer formulation is lighter to start with because it has less "tetrahydrocurcuminoid" (an anti-irritant with an amber hue). So it sounds like @YoiFranyou have a perfectly fresh bottle of the older formula? With that being said, a toooooon of people mentioned having dark serums from the first pump and EVERY mention of DS bottles (including one mention of a foil) said the product was very dark. DE admitted that packaging the serum for samples wasn't a great idea, but seemed willing to send out replacements. They also mentioned constantly improving their full size bottle packages to better stabilize the serum.. so odds are they didn't spend much money making sure their deluxe sample pumps were high quality / airtight? @MlleCC I think (from the instagram comments) that it's safe to use, just less effective :s

Re: All about Luxury skincare! Come in and chat about your skincare, treatments, tools and products

@whitepolkydots Yes! I'm hoping I have a not too oxidized old formula... ever since the first pump I was surprised at how orange it was, I remember being afraid of it giving me an orange tint. I'm using it everyday generously so I can finish it, I haven't seen radical changes so I might not go through the stress of finishing another bottle LOL

I want to try the Clinique vitamin C that you activate on every use, that one is only 10% versus the drunk elephant 15% but maybe being so fresh will make up for the difference?

@whitepolkydots Last year I had a FS bottle that was that dark color from the first pump.  I also didn't think to check whether it was oxidized since I had purchased from Sephora and assumed their stock was fresh.  

My bottle is already long used up, but it's disappointing that the product could oxidize that quickly all the same Smiley Sad

I did have one of the older iterations (non twist) packages, so perhaps that's why they changed.

@Mochapj that really is a bummer (esp at DE's prices!!). I too would have assumed Sephora's stock was fresh Smiley Sad

Even with the newer packaging DE said that the product should be used up within 6mo. That might be normal for some people but I'd really struggle with that.. Hopefully they'll improve their formula or container even more to extend that 

(0) Hearts

Oh no!! I've been using a DS sample of the DE C-Firma that I got from a trade here on BT. It came out looking like the dark orange swatch on the left, and I just assumed it was the norm. Surely it's safe to continue using? It hasn't irritated my skin, and I've seen some very subtle improvements after 3 weeks of consistent use.

(0) Hearts

@Mochapj mine is an in between those two colors ever since I bought it. I've been diligent using it everyday trying to finish it. I wish they had a medium size in between the travel size and the big one. I use a lot of product and I haven't been able to finish it in 4 months

I've been trying out a lot of new products over the past 4 or so months, so I thought I'd post some mini reviews.  Spoilered due to sheer volume.

Spoiler
Blue Labelle Raspberry Moringa Oil
- a moderately hydrating oil, it was good for using in the winter when my skin was windburned or after a PMD treatment. Thicker than I prefer and doesn't always feel like it completely soaks in.

Uma Deeply Clarifying Oil
- an extremely fragrant oil for helping draw out skin congestion. If you don't like clove, I wouldn't recommend it because it is very potent and lingers. Absorbs quickly and helps bring things to the surface quicker.

The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin
- has been approximately 60 days of use and I have noticed it lightening dark spots, but (maybe I'm imagining) I feel like it might also be lightening my whole skintone a touch. Unsure if I will repurchase.

The Ordinary Niacinamide Zinc
- similar usage timeframe as the AA serum, daily usage seems to have helped with controlling oiliness in my t-zone.

Mahalo Rare Indigo Balm
- a thinner, melting face balm that is similar to May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon but with more of a dry oil texture. It smells heavenly, absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling hydrated the following morning.

Apoterra Naturals Night Balm
- a thicker, almost waxy balm. If someone told me this was lip balm, I would believe it, texture-wise. Feels a bit heavy, and while it does the job, I only use it in extreme cases of dehydration because it's too suffocating for my face.

Siam Seas Elements Balm
- another face balm, this one has a soft, whipped texture and floral herbal scent. Long wearing and hydrating, it layers well and soothes inflammation.

Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator
- super hydrating, soothingly scented toner, it smells a bit like flowers and marshmallows and seems to make everything you put on top of it absorb better. Not sure if I would regularly repurchase, but it makes a nice treat.

Farmacy Green Clean 
- I didn't think I liked this when I first started using it. It's strongly fragranced and smells like Sprite soda. After 2.5 months I'm almost finished my jar and it has started to grow on me. The texture is thinner than Clinique TTDO balm (my HG) and more of a whipped consistency. It massages in well and emulsifies nicely with water. Does not need a cloth for removal and leaves skin feeling refreshed without being stripped or greasy.

Josh Rosebrook Cacao Antioxidant Mask

- a super thick, hard to spread mask. It's got a refined texture and leaves skin feeling hydrated but I'm not a fan of the scent, which is somewhere along the chocolate/creamsicle/herbal spectrum. I have a few similar masks that I prefer so I would not repurchase.

COR Silver Soap
- received a sample sized bar last year and tried it for a week purely out of curiosity. It lathers a fair bit but leaves skin feeling tight and dry. Would not recommend.

@Mochapj I bought Ordinary 2% Retinoid, Alpha Arbutin, Caffeine solution, Azelaic Acid suspension. Now I am a bit at loss where to fit them in my routine.

Using Retinoid at night, can I wear Odacite serums on top of it (currently I a, using Pa+g, CaR, Jo+L mixing them together in my palm) . Can I use any mist before Odacite and after Retinoid?

What is the good time to use Alpha Arbutin? Can I use it before or after MayLindstrom Youthdew that I am using in the morning followed by Hylamide C25 booster?

Lastly Caffeine solution will work better before or after eye cream?

So many Question. Lol

[ Edited ]

@fatimamummy so many questions! Smiley Very Happy Firstly, I'd say, don't incorporate all of them at once!  

Let me try and address them one at a time (so you may get some edit updates as I do)

Caffeine solution - I would apply this first and then apply an eye cream over top.

Retinoid re: odacite and mist - you would apply the retinoid first after cleansing. I can't speak to this particular one as I haven't used it, but ones I have used in the past have said to apply to dry skin.  Typically you apply, let it sink in for a while (I used to try 15-30min) and then proceed with the rest of the routine. You can use the Odacite serums on top of a retinoid, since they are oils they will also help to hydrate.  I assume you are asking about the mist because you use it to help spread the serums - as long as you've left some buffer time between the retinoid sinking in and the rest of your routine, you shouldn't have a problem with the mist. You didn't ask, but I did notice that The Ordinary recommends using either the Retinoid or the Azelaic Acid Suspension at night, not both at the same time.

Alpha Arbutin - they say this can be used both AM & PM. I use only in the PM because there are other things I prefer to use in the AM. It is considered water based, so I would use it before Youth Dew, which is oil based. Personally I would switch back and forth between using the C25 booster and the AA - primarily because they're both meant to do similar things (uneven tone/hyperpigmentation). I don't think you'll need two layers at the same time. You could always try it, but I am not of the opinion that more is necessarily better when it comes to skincare.

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much @Mochapj . Now it all is making sense 😀 I think I'llput away AZelaic  acid suspension for now and stick with Retinoid so I can see if it 

makes any difference.

@Mochapj I also have both of those serums from The Ordinary. I bought everything in the pigmentation issues regimen, and after I started using it I began to worry that it was going to lighten my whole face. So now I'm not sure that I'll be repurchasing, either. I might just stick to my Murad that I apply only on the dark spots.

@JenniferOhJenny I can't tell for sure if it is, but I think it has a little. I'm starting to notice a slight difference between my neck and face that wasn't there before and it seems to be more than would be accounted for by seasonal factors. 

(0) Hearts

@Mochapj That's kind of upsetting Smiley Sad. I haven't noticed anything yet but I think I'm just going to finish what I have left in the bottles and not continue with these, just in case.

(0) Hearts

I've been using the Dr. Jart+ face toning tool for about a month now. That little device is pretty pricy at $80 so I was skeptical but also curious. After a month I've noticed a more defined jawline and less bloated face...I'm impressed! Has anyone else tried it?

(0) Hearts

@KristinGL, funny enough I was looking at this the other day! I was thinking about getting it since I would love to get a more contoured face without having to contour. Smiley Wink I do know a stylist who's on Youtube (Chriselle Lim) uses it and she says even though it can take time to see results, you do get them! It's on a wishlist for now but I'm glad to hear you got results too. Smiley Happy 

XOXO,
Marieke

For any US ladies who were interested in trying out the Drunk Elephant Sukari Babyfacial product but turned off by the price, it seems that The Ordinary has released a new product which appears to be very, very similar called AHA 30% + BHA 2%

Doesn't seem to be available in Canada for the same reasons that the Babyfacial isn't, but for US ladies it's under $10.

[ Edited ]

I was caught up in the 10+ Korean Skincare regimen craze for a while, and I saw an improvement in my skin. Though I think it is because I went from barely washing my face at the end of the day to having a routine. I've recently pared down after I discovered Aesop. I went into a store because their packaging. I was drawn in by the look but the consultant really sucked me in. Now, I have 7 steps. The consultant says to stick with 3: cleanse, tone, moisturize. But, I threw in a few steps that I can't shake from my K-beauty days obsession. I've seen a difference and now getting compliments that my skin is glowing. (hmm, without extra curricular activities)

skinisin.JPG

So here's my routine AM and PM:

1. Aesop Fabulous Face Cleanser

2. Aesop B & Tea Toner (switch between Son Park Beauty Water to finish it)

3. SKII Facial Treatment Essence (I had the best facial of my life in the SKII Spa in Seoul and never go without this. decant in a spray bottle ala Cate Blanchett)

4. Aesop Lucent Facial Concentrate (acts like a serum)

5. Aesop Parsley Seed Anti Oxidant Facial Hydrating Cream

6. Aesop Parsley Seed Anti Oxidant Eye Cream

7* Tatcha Pore Perfecting Sunscreen

*I only wear this during the day. My skin has improved so much that I just wear this on its own and it leaves a nice effect on smoothing the look of my pores, etc.

[ Edited ]

I know there are May Lindstrom fans here. FYI the prices of her entire line increased today. Smiley Sad May posted on Instagram to explain. Full message in spoilers below.

I haven't had a chance to fully compare prices but from what I gather in the comments of her post, it's a $10-20 US increase across the board which will translate to an even bigger increase for overseas peeps with crappy currency exchange rates (lots of UK fans are not happy). 

Edit: Detox Market Canada is already showing updated prices so I'm guessing all of her stockists have increased prices today too. For Canadian peeps, looks like a $20-40 increase. Eeek.

Spoiler
may1.jpg
may2.jpg
may3.jpg

(0) Hearts

@bonafide11  All retailers increased ML product prices almost immediately I believe.

ML products last me a very long time, so I have yet to repurchase much of anything.  And I have been using her products for a while now.  ML doesn't have the luxury (no pun intended) of the benefits of economy of scale.  So I expect her prices to be higher typically than a large company.  Price increases will happen - as a consumer, the decision to purchase still lies with me.   At this time her products are still on my "to use" list.  So I will carry on......

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@greenchilli Yep. I think all of her stockists raised prices first thing yesterday except for Beautylish. They were slower to update but do have the new prices now. 

I agree - her products are generously sized (given how little you need) and lasts a long time so even though it's more expensive, it does last longer than a lot of other products I buy. No one ever likes price increases and I totally agree it's a personal choice whether her products are "worth it" to you. Smiley Happy 

I do understand the frustration from her UK/European customers though - apparently there was some mistake with the way it was previously priced over there with VAT not added when it should have been before. So now they're getting hit with a 20% price increase and a 20-ish% tax on top. Ouch!

(0) Hearts

@bonafide11 in case you're curious, it is no longer cost effective to purchase May via cultbeauty and save on the vat.  As the current exhange rate is today the difference is +/- up to $3 depending on the product