SuperYooper

Aging, crepey under eyes

I'm 47 and have been horrified to deal with creases and crepey skin under my eyes. The dark circles aren't terrible, but they need coverage, too. It's especially bad when I smile and my cheeks push up my lower lids. It's the only thing that really makes me look my age (or older).

So far I've tried: Sephora's Instant Wrinkle FIller, Sephora Perfecting Eye Primer, Sephora Age Defy Eye Cream, Philosophy Time in a Bottle, Philosophy Hope in a Jar Eye Cream, Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu serum (ouch), and several drugstore brands. Meh to everything so far.

I want a combination of eye treatment, primer and concealer. And, of course, I'm 3+ hours drive from the closest store --no begging samples (;゚︵゚:smileywink:

I've got two kids in college, so no cosmetic surgery for several years. Help? Crepey.png

rdesigns

Re: Aging, crepey under eyes

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi SuperYooper - I am a few years older than you, and I have tried a multitude of products over the years, but I am most happy with Perricone's Acyl-Glutathione Eye Serum. It is not a "filler" product like some that were suggested, as many of those types of products are not really geared toward more mature skin with deeper lines to fill. The Perricone product will give you a skin tightening effect which then makes it easier to apply concealer. I also like Shisiedo's Benifiance eye cream because of it's rich texture.  I have found that the concealer products do not matter as much once I get a smoother base to work with.  Hope this helps a bit ♡

SuperYooper

(0) Hearts

You gals are AWESOME!  Now I've got a bunch of stuff to try.  Many thanks. I'm thinking I'll post before/after photos.

comfyrock

Sorry, I agree with Laura's suggestion for a combo of products.  I've tried the Smashbox BB eye cream and, while it does feel nice, the coverage wasn't great for me.  I prefer the Miracle Skin Eye Treatment/Concealer.  Just started using it so I can recommend the product's coverage, finish, and staying power but not the long-term effects.

Two notes - let your undereye cream/treatment absorb before you apply concealer and always set with a powder.  I use Ole Henriksen Total Truth eye cream and Bare Minerals Mineral Veil powder.

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

I just watched a really great youtube video on concealer today. It's long but worth it. 

Go find CoffeeBreakwithDani and look for her Makeup 101: Concealer video. She has dark circles herself and starts with a naked face and talks you through the different ways to camouflage with concealer. 

ShinyMagpie

Wayne Goss gossmakeupartist also has a great one called: HOW TO: MAKE EYE BAGS VANISH IN SECONDS! FULL DEMO! that is worth checking out. 

katie1724

I love that video (and Wayne!)! :smileyvery-happy:

lylysa

In regards to an eye treatment, check out PTR's Neutroliquid Volufill Youth Eye Serum:

Peter Thomas Roth - Neuroliquid™ Volufill™ Youth Eye Serum

The formula is comprised of a blend of amino acids (building blocks to help repair and improve elasticity and density in skin), hyaluronic acid (a humectant that binds up to 1000x its own weight in water to hydrate and plump skin, well hydrated skin is less prone to emphasize lines, wrinkles, and crepiness), along with several other conditions such as shea butter, avocado oil, and aloe which are packed with fatty acids and will soothe tired eyes.

Eye treatments, like any facial treatment will begin to yield results within the 2-4 week mark, and even upwards to 6-12 for full results to be seen or made with proper use.

Now in regards to helping conceal the area, take a look at my post in the below thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Totally-new-to-makeup-Only-watched-youtube-videos-Co...

The user made mention of wanting to conceal bags, and like bags, crepiness and lines are a textural matter, so layering on a pigment based product (such as concealer) isn't going to change the dimension, but using a concealer slightly lighter than your complexion along with under eye highlighters (not facial highlighters as those tend to have a higher shimmer/reflective quality than ones designed for the under eye area, you want an illuminating/brightening formula, not one that is sparkly or glittery).

The above thread also covers the various types of concealer formulas, my suggestion would be to use a thinner, liquid concealer (Smashbox) as it's not really dark circles you're dealing with, but you do still want some coverage for the area. Smashbox also makes a hydrating under eye concealer to look into, but if you find that doesn't help enough with texture/lines, try a silicone/dimethicone based primer that will provide more of a barrier over the lines and your make up to prevent caking or settling. Too Faced's Primed & Poreless (pink tube), Benefit's Porefessional, Hourglass (No. 28 Serum primer or Mineral Veil primer), and Smashbox makes great S/D based primers to look into. For something even denser, Nars' Skin Smoothing Facial Prep can also be lightly smoothed to the area prior to make up application:

NARS - Skin Smoothing Face Prep

laurabt

Hi SuperYooper,

There's not really one miracle product that does it all, but I would recommend trying Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye. It instantly tightens the look of skin while firming and smoothing the appearance of crow’s feet, fine lines, under-eye puffiness, and deep wrinkles.  

For makeup, check out the new Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream Eyes Broad Spectrum SPF 15. It primes, protects, conceals, hydrates, and illuminates. It also claims to visibly smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and improve firmness.

:smileyhappy: -Laura

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lylysa
    • rdesigns
    • laurabt
    • SuperYooper