BriannaChris

Acne Scarring & Feeling Ugly

I have battled with acne for quite some time now. I have combination skin. It gets quite oily throughout the day, but super dry after I wash my face. My skin is very sensitive and any pimple I get leaves some type of scars. Some scars are worse than others, but they're all troublesome. They are very red and noticeable on my light skin. I am looking for something natural to combat these scars. I have tried a Murad post acne lightening treatment but the ingredients are just too harsh. Please if anyone can help me that would be great. I actually recently visited a Sephora and started crying to the consultant (sad right?) because of how ugly I feel. So please I BEG of help. Thanks again

melanito

Re: Acne Scarring & Feeling Ugly

(0) Hearts

Hugs. I think you think your acne is alot worse than it is. I have very fair skin and had a hormonal acne breakout in the past year and a bit that I haven't encountered since my teens. I had some red marks that were really persistent and notice in the past while they're gone! I found that a) using lemon juice (real stuff organic diluted by 1/2) as a toner really helped as did the dr jart black detox bb cream (one pump for whole face). The lemon juice exfoliates your face so you get quicker turnover. I do about 4 swipes on a cotton pad. You do have to be careful not to squeeze or pick at your face too much when you use lemon juice or you will end up with bruisey marks on your face (best to leave them alone unless they're obviously poppable). I use a pump of Dr Jart detox and think this is helping fade my marks. I don't find it offers amazing coverage but it def is doing something (see bit below on concealer).  I also found in terms of preventing acne stuff like include rinsing your face 8 to 10 times when you wash your face, using a good gentle cleanser that doesn't strip your skin (I use the Josie Maran grapefruit cleanser) and then using a new washcloth every time you wash/dry your face and changing your pillowcase when you're going through a bad breakout helps too. I'm going pretty natural now with my routine and think my skin looks better than ever. I use a combo of tea tree, frankincense, ylang ylang and lavender diluted in argan oil as a moisturizer and straight tea tree or lavender on any active blemishes.

Now in terms of covering them i have found nothing that works as well as Kat von D's tattoo concealer. I saw a video online before i bought and there was a young woman with pretty bad skin who showed how it covered up her marks and active pimples (kudos to her for sharing it). IT has not broke me or my hubby out at all (he applies it if he gets a biggie). I apply it on side of my hand (making sure that my hands face everything is freshly washed, dab it on my spots with my fingers, then apply the rest of my face, then go back with a concealer brush (kats is great) and kinda erase any marks that are still there. her concealer lasts all day and is a god send. I use her light shade 16 but have to dilute it with an older shade porcelain a bit to shade match.

Remember too that you look in the mirror and see your flaws instead of your beautiful features.I can relate to how acne can make you feel less beautiful. the best thing to do is to just embrace it..who you are and focus on developing some self love and focusing on your assets (this will help you with alot more than acne in your life..learning to love yourself as you are and not comparing yourself to others in a negative way). I love Brene Brown's books (like gifts of imperfection). Whatever you do with your acne..spend an equal amount of time learning to love yourself and be compasssionate with yourself! Would you love or think any less of anyone you love in your life if they had acne? of course not. So think why would you do that to yourself!

mafan

I just want to say that you are not ugly and you will get through this.  I had horrible acne and felt really ugly as a teen.  And I didn't have any great resources like this group and a store like Sephora to help with advice.  I know I wasn't using the best things to care for my skin, and that didn't help. 

I agree, you may well be over cleansing your skin.  And you really need to find some sort of moisturizer.  You don't want it to make you oily, but you do want to make sure your skin doesn't feel dry or tight.

I'm almost 50 now and thankfully past the acne stage most days. :smileyhappy: I have had a number of makeup artists comment on how nice my skin is when they're trying something out on me.  So trust me, that horrible skin you feel like you have now will not always look that way and you will get through this.  And I agree with others, you're far harsher on yourself.  I see spots that I want to cover that other people can't see at all.

And remember, beauty isn't just your skin.  Remember that you're a special person and face the world that way. You will get through this.

annonymous1

Don't worry! scars don't make you ugly, usually we're our own harshist critic, one day i was complaining to my Bf about my acne scars and he literally said he had no idea i even had any! its nothing to be ashamed about, anyway, i had very BAD acne scarring from picking at my face in my teens, murad made my skin dry and almost flake off, i really love the lancome dream tone color correcter, its expensive but it really does work and now its a staple in my collection, also clairsonic's are very good, i had a friend who got rid of her scars completly by using the clairsonic :smileyhappy:

lndngyn

For active pimples/acne, I use oil of oregano (found in the vitamin section of any drugstore). You NEED to dilute this before you use it or it will dry your skin. I put a few drops in a container and I just shake it up and use a q-tip to apply it at night over my moisturizer.

Find out more here: http://usesfororeganooil.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/oil-of-oregano-for-acne-oil/

For blemishes, I highly recommend Lancome's Visionnaire. My skin eats it right up and my blemishes lighten up over time. Its fairly expensive, but a full sized bottle usually lasts me around 3 months if I use it both day and night. You could probably get more use out of it if you used it only at night, which I plan on changing to. 

Also! Don't skip out on sunscreen! It prevents your blemishes from getting darker. My favourite is by Shiseido. Its the ultimate sun protection+.

Other things that I use 

- Clarisonic Mia at night with Fresh Soy Cleanser. Someone told me that soy helps with blemishes, so I got it. I like the cleanser but I don't love it.

- Daily moisturizer: Fresh youth lotus preserve face cream with super 7 complexes. I really like this, a little goes a long way and my skin stays hydrated all day

lndngyn

Sorry! I forgot the mention that I noticed my pore size decrease drastically with the clarisonic. I'm a lot less oily after using it

neko333

(0) Hearts

There's a bit of a difference between scars and hyper pigmentation from acne.  A discolored mark will usually fade but an indented scar is likely there to stay. For indented marks you can use peels and things like glycolic acid to lessen the look of them but nothing will really get rid of them (if someone knows something that will I'd love to know). Discolorations generally aren't considered scars until you've had them about a year. For discolorations I use aloe often. I have several aloe plants growing in my house and I apply it directly from the plant a few times each day. It seems to help speed up the process. That may be a bit too simple but I really think it helps. Sunscreen is also a must.

As far as being ugly because of the scars I guarantee no one notices. Most people have them to some degree and if you stop and think about it I doubt you notice other peoples scars. If they are red, green concealer will be your best friend. Physicians Formula has some. Use the green concealer and then use a skin colored concealer over it. Top it off with a little bit of translucent setting powder and you should be fine for the day. 

caroline77

(0) Hearts

I'm really prone to acne as well just because of how oily my skin was. I started using a 3-step face wash called NeoStrata and it helped me in unimaginable ways in no time! You need to buy the Clarifying Gel Cleanser, the Toning Solution and the Clarifying Lotion and it'll work wonders! Some dermatologists can also recommend products to help with acne scars. I have a few myself.

Hope this helped!

P.S. Everyone is beautiful inside and out. You my dear, are no exception

ChicDabbler

Awww, you are not ugly and I bet most people who meet you don't even pay attention. Your skin should not be super dry after cleansing. It should feel clean, and maybe a bit tight, but if it feels super dry then your cleanser is too drying. A lot of treatment/cleanser that deals with acne uses salicylic acid among other things, which can be harsh and drying on the skin. My favorite cleansers are Boscia purifying and Clarins gentle foam. 

If you have quite a few scars, then how about a gentle peel instead of harsh treatment? Murad intensive C radiance peel is actually one of the gentlest peels I've tried. Dr. Gross alpha beta peel clears imperfection and calm redness, it's a substitute for toner. 

Also, what toner and moisturizer are you using? It sounds like you are over cleansing your skin, which caused irritation and overproduction of oil, which worsens your acne.

garnett

I peeked at your profile. Your coloring sounds a lot like mine.  I know how you skin reacts because I turn bright red just using a blow dryer.  Skin like ours shows everything.  Even though you have breakouts and some oily skin, you need to use gentle products. Have you seen a dermatologist?  What type of face wash are you using?  Do you use specific blemish products?  Do you use a sunscreen during the day?  I find if I get a mark from a blemish, that area will get darker from sun exposure.  Let us know what you are using so we can steer you in the right direction.  Oh and one other thing.  Be kind to yourself.  I know that you are sensitive about your skin problems but you are also much more aware of them than other people are. You are not ugly, you are just dealing with some skin issues.  Many "beautiful" people deal with them too.  They just know how to cover the scars and redness.  Don't worry, you will get things under control.  

garnett

I see lots of people asked the same questions while I was typing this.  No need to repeat your answers.  It looks like you are getting a lot of good advice from our BT Beauties!  <3

BriannaChris

(0) Hearts

Yes I would like to know some products you have used 

MizzSaraiX

(0) Hearts

Don't know if this is the perfect foundation, but I know  few people who have a problem with acne and they use Makeup Forever HD Foundation and they love it. 

http://youtu.be/Hy4inaqPSXM

BriannaChris

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much! That's actually the foundation I'm using now :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

What are you washing your face with now?

BriannaChris

(0) Hearts

Boscia clear complexion. The consultants specifically recommended it. I like it a lot!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

You say after washing your face is dry. What else if anything are you using? I almost think if your using some sort of acne treatment with the clear complexion from Boscia the combination of the two might be too much.

RisingLuna

I actually had the same exact problem for years. Ive been struggling with acne since i hit grade 10. At first, i thought i had oily skin. My skin was just over producing oil and id easily be able to dampen 2 full sheets of blotting paper. Maybe even 3. So i tried harsher ways. Like clinique and murad. These brands used a more harsh method of reducing acne. And because of these harsh methods and my continuous attempts at absorbing my face oil, my face actually got more greasy. 

Turns out im actually dry skin type. But my skin got too dry and started to over produce oil to compensate for the dryness. I think the same thing happened to you. Be sure to moisturize. Obviously its going to take a while to get your skin back to normal. But better late then never. Also, drink 8 cups of water. I fill a 2 liter jug of water, and make sure i finish it before i go to bed. My oil production is so* much better now. You can also opt for smoothies in place of water for a healthier option that will keep your skin happy. 

Another thing, you should get your acne in control before you do other stuff to your skin. If you stop your acne, you wont get new scars and then* you can work on lightening the dark pigmentations.  Be sure to use a good sunscreen with a PA +++ rating. Otherwise your dark scars will only get darker and more difficult to remove. Do* get a cleanser that will remove everything. Something that cleans, but doesnt strip your skin and make it freak out on you. Oil cleansers are very good for this.

This is gonna sounds weird. But dont over cleanse your skin. I used to clean with my clarisonic 2x a day. Well...not anymore. Only for days i wear make up, and now i only splash my face with water in the morning.If you prep-ed your skin properly the night before properly. Your skin shouldn't need be that dirty. Get a toner. It balances your pH level, so your skin doesnt freak out after you cleaned your skin. 

I use a lightening serum at night only**. Works best that way, if you choose to use one. You said your looking for something natural....Natural works. Origins is a good brand for that. But "natural" usually takes a lot* longer for results. Oh..one last thing. Let your skin breathe. So no full face makeup. If you must, use hourglass immaculate foundation. Other wise try a bb cream and a good concealer.  

Wow...that was long. Urm, message me back if you want to know some products that ive tried and worked for me. ^^

BriannaChris

(0) Hearts

Yes I would like to know some products you have used!

RisingLuna

(0) Hearts

Moisturizer: Im using only Argan oil, also by Josie Maran. Heals skin, moisturizes and its 100% natural. Plus, adding oil has reduced my* oil production. Nothing more to ask for. xD I sometimes use a hydrating/brightening night cream.

Serum: I love* the advanced night serum by Estee Lauder. So* hydrating. More hydration= less oil for me. Im currently also using Dr. Dennis Gross Brightening solution. Only at night though. Dont use it in the morning just in case you are exposed to sunlight...Otherwise, it works great.

Others: Make sure your exfoliating weekly. And use a mask weekly. Ill use something that deeply cleans and* exfoliates. Like a scrub, a peel works too. And then to counter the intense cleaning, ill have a hydrating and brightening mask. 

RisingLuna

(0) Hearts

Suncreen: The best ive used is Dior Snow Sunscreen. It actually whitens and* protects your skin. For a cheaper option, id go with shiseido sunscreens. They do the job and help slightly mattifying skin

Cleanser: I love glycolic acid. Its a good for exfoliating and unclogging my pores. But lately ive been using Argan Cleansing Oil, by Joise Maran. Since its oil based, it goes into pores and gets the oil and dirt out better without stripping my skin. It also removes makeup very* well

Toner: Im using Sk-II Clear lotion. I just love the ingredients in here. Everything in here i just feel helps my skin...not all just chemicals. Its actually made for acne prone skin. You could probably go cheaper here though. Just make sure it ISNT alcohol based.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • melanito
    • annonymous1
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • neko333