I have been battling with acne for about 10 years now, in my teens I use to use drug store brand treatments which was fine and helped, however in the beginning of my 20's (around 21-22) my acne durastically got worse I started using proactiv and my skin up until last year never looked better no more pimples or post acne scars I had a flawless complexion....However over the last year it seems that proactiv has stopped working for me and back came the acne and post acne scars but I continue to use it hesitant to try anything else for it may not work or make it worse... I need help!! I've read reviews for Murad and some other products but I just don't know what direction to go in...I haven't tried any new skin care regime's in regards to cleansing and so forth but I did try philosophy dark spot corrector last month and it made me break out even more so thats a line I want to stay away from.... Please help!!! My bday is next month and I need to have my clear flawless skin back
With the bday on the rise, we are going to get that skin of yours smiling as much as you will be on that special day. Acne is one of those things that comes in many forms and is treated with equal amounts of variety in products, etc. The secret is in the details of the factors that affect your skin.
Consider the following factors (all of which affect your skin) as they will color the product choices to building the perfect beauty routine:
- Environment - certain climates dehydrate skin while big cities have polluted air - both of which play into your cleanser choice and hydrator/moisturizer
- Diet - Skin with acne needs more anti-inflammatories(anti-oxidants) and Omega-3 fatty acids, also diets high in sugar and/or non-complex carbs that are not used up in exercise or active lifestyles, tend to contribute to the cellular inflammation that can cause different forms acne
- Sun - little to moderate protected sun exposure has been proven to help to clear up skin in tandem with diet and products
- Emotions - If your job is long hours or add un-needed stress to your life - be sure to integrate some sort of daily stress relieving activity (anything that truly allows you to free your mind like going to the gym, listening to music, etc)
Based on what you have shared, here is what I recommend:
The three most important things for you to master are
- Cleanse - remove makeup (sunscreen is considered a makeup too), THEN cleanse skin with a cleanser (It's like sweeping the floor before mopping)
- Hydrate - While you may not need oil, you need hydration to keep the skin balanced and from over-producing oil. Often times oily skins are dehydrated and they get what's called congestion (small little bumps on the nose and center panel of the face). Basically things get trapped because the oil is being overproduced and because of its thick nature contributes to forming comedones (blackheads/whiteheads). Once you add bacteria to the equation you get a full blown pimple:-(
- Balance - the bacteria in combination with oil and dead skin cells are what cause breakouts. So if you are cleansing correctly (which will provide gentle daily exfoliation) and hydrating (so not to overproduce oil), then you only need to balance out the bacteria in the skin by using a non-drying ingredient (since you are not a teen, who typically have more oil and less sensitive skin).
Here are my picks for you:
If you prefer to trial a all-in-one kit, then I would suggest the following:
Hope this helps. As I mentioned, Acne has many forms and should be treated based on the factors that are affecting your skin. Send me a note and let me know how it goes. Additionally, remember that Sephora has a very committed return policy in that we are committed to getting you the right product, so if you don't like something even after use, please return it and allow us to find you an alternative that will work for you - no questions asked:-)