Answer
lydia444
AHH! I need a face wash that works!

Hi, I'm looking for the perfect face wash. I am 14 years old, and I have combination skin. I get about 1-2 pimples per month, I have tiny invisable bumps on my left cheek and chin, and big pores on the right side of my nose. Salicylic acid face wash makes me break out, I guess my face is a bit sensitive. Any suggestions?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
projose
Answered

Hola lydia444,

The skin can be our best fiend and our biggest enemy, but not to fear, I have had very similar issues with my skin and I'm going to share what I have learned as well as what has worked for me over the years of trialing countless products as well as working on models your age at Fashion Week here in NY.

There's the good news and the news that could be better.  What could be better is that there are many factors that affect the skin including hormones, environment, diet, and of course the products you use.  While we are bound to get a breakout or two here and there no matter how great we care for our skin, knowing how to spot treat is the key. 

The good news is there are great products that truly make a difference in how we condition and protect it from breaking out and aging of course.  Here are the most important things for you to consider given what you have described:

1-proper makeup removal and cleansing (yes they are two separate but equally important steps)

2-hydration is essential since often times the culprit for congested skin (invisible bumps) is due to dehydrated combo or oily skin

3-spot treat the skin when needed (treating the entire face is what dehydrates the skin.  only treat the entire face if you are breaking out all over)

4-sun protection (probably the least of your worries now, but trust me, invest now and when you're older you'll be the gal getting all the compliments on how young you look)

PRODUCTS

Cleanser/Makeup Remover

Purity Made Simple
Philosophy Purity Made Simple, $10 - $47.50

Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel™
DDF-Doctor's Dermatologic Formula
Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel™
, $38

Hydration

Daily Face Cream
First Aid Beauty
Daily Face Cream
, $18

Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief
Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief, $34 - $46.50

Spot Treatment

Acne Spot Treatment
Murad
Acne Spot Treatment
, $18

Kate Somerville EradiKate Acne Treatment $22

Sun Protection

SPF 30 Sunscreen Swipes with Zinc for Sensitive Skin
Supergoop!
SPF 30 Sunscreen Swipes with Zinc for Sensitive Skin
, $10 - $34

And if you could only invest in one thing, this would be it...

Clarisonic Mia™ Blue with New Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head ($174 Value), $119

Clarisonic goes beyond washing by using sonic technology to gently yet deeply cleanse pores of environmental toxins, makeup, and bacteria—without abrasion or harsh chemicals. ITS AWESOME AND LIFE CHANGING!

Some other tips for congested skin:

1-soak a towel in warm water and place it over the face up to seven times - this compress helps to loosen dirt and makeup caught in the pores and promotes better cleansing.  Think of it like doing a spa day.  It works for the models at fashion Week and it has worked for me.  Takes a bit of time though, but definitely worth it

2-You are what you eat!  I'm sure you have heard this before.  Consider that when you intake foods that are processed, high in sugar, or carbs, that it will lead to inflammation at a cellular level which can contribute to breakouts or having balanced skin

I'd love to hear back from you.  Let me know how it goes.  Best.  J

Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • corrin99
    • melissabt
    • projose
    • lydia444