joanna57

57 yo woman getting married in a few weeks. What can I get away with in terms of makeup?

RandeeBT

Re: 57 yo woman getting married in a few weeks. What can I get away with in terms of makeup?

(0) Hearts

Hi joanna57!

You have already received some wonderful suggestions, but I'll give you my opinion as well.

Don't forget filling in your eyebrows on the big day. You have really pretty, deep set eyes that would like beautiful with a defined eyebrow!

I recommend first setting your eyebrows into place with Anastasia's Clear Brow Gel. Wait about 5 minutes for the brow gel to "dry" and then go in with an eyebrow powder and pencil to fill in any sparse areas. I like to use Anastasia's Perfect Brow Pencil to fill in the ends and then Anastasia's Brow Powder Duo to fill in the front areas of the eyebrow.

I recommend using a plum or berry shade for your lips. These shades would look great with your complexion! The Bite Beauty's High Pigment Lip Pencils are pretty long lasting and not overly drying. The shade Quince would be perfect on you. I recommend applying this shade with a light hand and blending it in a bit with your ring finger to help give it a more natural look. 

Best,
Randee
joanna57

Re: 57 yo woman getting married in a few weeks. What can I get away with in terms of makeup?

I just put the highlighter in my Sephora shopping bag.  :smileyhappy:  

DiVWA

Burberry Pale Barley and Rosewood colors are both very elegant looking and flattering. For the crease, a matte brown like Burberry's Dark Sable would be nice; I don't have the Dark Sable because I have a ton of matte browns. For right under the brow, this is a harder color to come up with, but if you use Pale Barley or Rosewood for most of your lids, and just blend with the crease color and don't go too dark with the crease color, you'll be able to get away without a shadow between crease and brow if you're unable to find one in time.

For right underneath the brow, the Anastasia Eye Lights Matte Highlighter pencil in color Camille really opens up the eye. It's a must-have item. Just apply under the arch and along the underline of your brow and blend very slightly with your finger.

Be sure to buy the Burberry shadows from Nordstrom's so you can return any that don't work. I had to buy mine online because my closest Nordstrom's doesn't carry it. I tried quite a few shades and returned almost half of them (didn't like or had shade in other brands) and Nordstrom's doesn't mind at all.

http://www.sephora.com/eye-lights-matte-P69504?skuId=765461

joanna57

(0) Hearts

Evangeline

Thanks for your encouraging words. I'll do my own makeup. I'm going to wear a french twist, trying for a retro look. I'll be at the NH seacoast for the wedding so hopefully, it will be lovely. Maybe I'll post a photo after all is said and done.

Joanna

DiVWA

About your age myself. Shimmery shadows are okay if they're shimmery, not glittery (there's a big difference). I've found that the shimmery shadow works mostly on the lid only--avoid getting into any wrinkly areas. Use matte shadow for the crease and for any transition color (above the crease) and for any highlight shadow (below the brow). If you can, be sure to try out any color before buying; there's a big difference between brands and even between colors in the same brand.

More satiny shadows are even better than shimmer, many times. I've also found that some of the higher end shimmery shadows look so much nicer than the mid-priced and cheaper ones. Burberry (sold at Nordstrom's) is quite elegant and has pretty good formula even if has shimmer. Urban Decay (mid-priced) is too glittery, except for the nude mattes which I haven't tried because I was so turned off by the glittery shades in its Naked palettes. I find that higher-priced Dior shadows and YSL ones aren't pigmented enough and are too much work (I'm sure many people here will disagree). Lorac ones are way too glittery and metallic or something--not sure what's wrong with this brand but when I used their shadows, I looked about 10 years older.

joanna57

Great eye shadow information. Satin it is. I was scared to death of the glittery stuff- rightfully so.

EvangelineDamon

(0) Hearts

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

57 sure looks beautiful on you.

Wow, joanna, your skin is really amazing.

Everybody has offered such great advice already.

I'm really interested in your thoughts for the big day.

Are you going to be doing your own makeup?

How are you going to wear your hair?

And how does the weather forecast look for that weekend?

Smokey123

Best wishes on your upcoming marriage!! I vote for wearing whatever you are comfortable with. You're the bride so it's whatever your wishes are. On my wedding day, I made sure to use waterproof everything since I knew the tears were going to flow. I also kept in mind that I was going to be heavily photographed that day so I made sure that there was little to no shine on my face. I kept everything matte. My personal goal was to look like myself, only better! You'll make a beautiful bride!

joanna57

Skin type- normal to dry, but slick in the summer. I usually wear Lancome Renergie Lift. 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

I would definitely suggest using a primer to help prolong the wear of your foundation. A few favorites are the Benefit Porefessional, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, and Becca Ever Matte primer. 

http://www.sephora.com/the-porefessional-P264900?skuId=1259068

http://www.sephora.com/veil-mineral-primer-spf-15-P210575?skuId=1074442

http://www.sephora.com/ever-matte-poreless-priming-perfector-P378017?skuId=1495209

notcreative

(0) Hearts

That is the foundation I wear as well.  When I want a lighter look or am in a hurry, I use Benefit's Big Easy.  It spreads faster and dries matte, so you do not need a powder on top.

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

It's your wedding day so essentially you can get away with anything your heart desires!  I went with a neutral smokey eye and a cherry lip stain.  And don't forget waterproof mascara!! Tears flow at the weirdest times during your wedding And running mascara is not a good look for any bride! 

Congrats on your upcoming big day!! 

joanna57

(0) Hearts

I didn't think of waterproof mascara! 

Spoiler

lylysa

The world is your oyster! :smileyhappy:

For starters, congrats on the upcoming big day! In terms of what you can "get away with", look at your big day's look as more of "what you want to wear and have remembered". Obviously photos will be a big part so to avoid having things appear to jarring or out of character, stick with something you're comfortable and confident in wearing. Something that makes you feel beautiful, but still you. For instance, if you're a simplistic gal, this is not the time to bust into a full fringe of heavy lashes, dark eyes, and bold lips as not only will the maintenance of the look become just one more worry for the big day, but it will also come across as not you and not natural, there's nothing wrong with keeping things more streamlined if in fact that's your personality and tastes.

From your image I have to say your cheekbones are stunning!!!! Your eyes are also shapely and grab my eye quickly. :smileyhappy: Perhaps you can play up with a defining eye look in neutrals to just emphasize their shape and sport a lengthening, defining mascara to amp up lashes (a couple of false lash clusters won't hurt or a more gradient strip of natural looking lashes) plus a fresh peach colored blush to give a pop of color to your cheeks and a hint of bronzer along your cheekbones to further amp up that bone structure.

Your groom is a lucky one, keep a long wearing lip stain handy to be sure he won't kiss off your lip color! :smileyvery-happy:

notcreative

Just dropped by to say Lylysa was here, so I know you already got great advice.  (Still hoping for a Dear Lylysa thread).

Congrats on the wedding!

lylysa

You're a gem, NotCreative! I cannot say how much your confidence in what I share means to me, I encourage any and all users to always shoot me a personal message if there's any assistance I can provide them with!

notcreative

[ Edited ]

Thanks.  I am actually sending you one right now.  I have gotten a few opinions on this, but I trust you most.  No need to post a thread when your answer is the only one I care about on this particular matter.

joanna57

Thanks for the advice. I thought about a few extra lashes- maybe I'll do that. I just bought Laura Geller Balance n Brighten brush on foundation because I heard it looks good in pics and I'm plagued with hot flushes. I don't want my foundation sliding off my face. But, I think I look a little powdery with it on. I used to be a Lancome beauty advisor so I'm ok with application. I like the idea of a peach blush- any ideas on a brand? I prefer a cream.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

If you find that you look a little powder, you can take a makeup mist like MAC Fix+ or Skindinavia finishing spray and it will take away the powdery look.

Make Up For Ever HD Blush is AMAZING! It lasts all day and looks great in pictures, hence the "HD" in the name. There's a lot of shades to choose from and 225 is described as peachy pink.

http://www.sephora.com/hd-blush-P384744?skuId=1574540

joanna57

(0) Hearts

Excellent suggestions. Thank you Andy.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • notcreative
    • DiVWA
    • heartsmyface