laosjo

skin care line for 50 age range

(0) Hearts

Hi i have normal to dry skin , some large pores on nose area,  and do have some fines line as well the 11 lines and  deep lines around mouth area,  also have some neck lines.  can someone suggest a good line for this age?

frickfrost

Re: skin care line for 50 age range

(0) Hearts

Age isn't a skin type. You don't need different products in your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's etc. The products you use when you're 20 should be the same ones you use when you're 50. Although your skin type (oily, dry, combination, sensitive, etc) may change because of a variety of factors. 

Now that that's out of the way since you have normal to dry skin an AHA exfoliant (glycolic or lactic acid) should be your first step and using a broad spectrum sunscreen daily with no exceptions. I can't stress the importance of sun protection enough! To prevent any further damage if you aren't already using one that works for you. As for the line Paula's choice is the probably the best skin care line out there. If you try them you'll never turn back to other brands. 

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Though "age" isn't a skin type, "aging" is a factor to take into account that affects skin. 

Our bodies and internal functions and processes do change and to not take notice would be turning a blind eye.

Though skin is quite specific to each individual, you can also take into account that generally someone who is 13 years old isn't going to have the same skin as someone who is 25 years old, just as much as that 25 year old isn't going to have the same issues and concerns as someone who is 55.

Can skin care ingredients be shared through time frames and age groups? Absolutely. However, if you're stating that someone continue to use the same skin care products throughout an entire life time then consider what if someone never chimed into skin care and skin health until their mid-40s and began with retinol and a ceramide-based moisturizer to treat wrinkles and hydration issues. Then should they have been using retinol and ceramides even when they were 20, even though they had no issues with wrinkles or hydration?

When one is younger, the body's natural functions in terms of repair, regeneration, and overall skin health and condition tends to be more resilient. Characteristics of fuller cheeks, suppleness, firmness, and more even skin are associated with youth and younger years, now can there be exceptions, of course, and this goes to those older as well as not all those who later in life must have drastic visual effects of aging. 

Case in point, collagen production. As we age, this function naturally slows, now the rate of it's slowing will vary from person to person, but nonetheless, it slows. With collagen production slowing, this can lead to a loss or decrease in suppleness and volume and even fine lines or wrinkles becoming more prominent as skin is no longer so "plumped" and smooth. Someone who is 20 years old or even in their early 30s may reach for a vitamin C/antioxidant based serum first to utilize on skin which still isn't showing strong signs of volume loss or wrinkles; however, for someone who is in their 40s to late 50s may choose to utilize a retinol and alpha hydroxy acid resource as their skin does have wrinkles and has lost volume and can benefit from that extra aspect of potency (not saying that vitamin C wouldn't benefit their skin, but it won't have as much of an impact as someone who's wrinkle free and younger).

If a 19 year old started slathering on retinol, heavily using AHA/BHA peels, and intensive hydration moisturizers when their skin doesn't need it, this can cause damage as it disrupts the body's natural processes. By overexfoliating or over sensitizing skin, skin's texture can actually thin out and weaken as it'll become dependent on that external source of products rather than still be reliant on what it can do itself. 

The same goes if someone who is in their 20s with oily and acne-prone skin is using pore clarifying serums and mattifying lotions, but as they age and are in their late 30s to early 40s, if their skin is no longer oily or acne-prone, utilizing those products can send the wrong messages to skin, especially if their skin has changed from oily and acne-prone to normal/dry and clear of blemishes.

It's important and crucial to be constantly and consistently aware of skin's current state but also take into account how it has progressed and changed. Being able to notice, adapt, and adjust allows one to better move forward in life with their skin as opposed to trying to "stop" aging or changing processes all together. 

By the way, the same goes to when a woman is pregnant, though "pregnancy" isn't a skin type, it can drastically affect skin and there are many precautions that come with it. Utilizing the same skin care products as when one is not pregnant can wreck havoc and be of serious risk to the mother-to-be and baby. Anyone who is pregnant should always check in with their doctor and medical professional in terms of what ingredients to avoid/what are safe and hat specifically pertains to them as pregnancy is just as unique and individual as the skin you're in.

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

"...You don't need different products in your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's etc. The products you use when you're 20 should be the same ones you use when you're 50.."

Let's agree to disagree. There is no way I could use the same products on my skin from age 20 to the present.

My skin would be very unhappy. The lesson I learned from decades of experience is that as our skin matures, it has different needs that products suited for someone still in puberty vs. menopausal. True, by definition, age isn't a skin type. Yet age does determine the natural progression of changes in skin that needs tweaking.

ballerinagrl

I could not agree with you more! My skin concerns at 20, 30, and 40 have been SO different. These days I barely even recognize my skin in the mirror first thing in the morning!

gogreyhound

[ Edited ]

I have to say that I agree...Being one who is 2 months on this side of 50, your skin does change with age. Hormones, in particular, are what does it, as well as other things you are doing or have done to your skin ( sun, smoking, etc)

I have been using Algenist, and it is wonderful! My skin still gets super oily on my nose and forehead, but I just have to use blotting papers. I get monthly breakouts, and a little bit of dryness  during winter months. FABproducts are also super good, for any skin type!   I do use the PTR Retinol Fusion PM and it is nice, haven't been using it for more than a few weeks so far, but I am liking it!

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

@gogreyhound

"...I have to say that I agree...Being one who is 2 months on this side of 50, your skin does change with age..."

Many people don't adjust skin care products because we love our products; yet our skin changes & we don't change what we're using... then we develop skin issues wondering what happened. I know because I forgot my skin changed, kept using the same stuff  when I needed to tweak hydration ect.

"...I get monthly breakouts, and a little bit of dryness during winter months..."

Yup...yet I can't use the exact same blemish treatments that I used when I was 20 since my skin is decades older & has different needs. Maybe some people can...I can't, I still have to follow my general mature skin needs first using similar yet different products. If I tried to treat my occasional blemishes with my son's products, my face would go into shock & I'd end up at my dermatologists office.

thecaramelapple

(0) Hearts

Hi!!

I agree with everyone that Perricone is a wonderful line for anti-aging. I recommend incorporating an ingredient called Retinol into your skincare routine. It helps to turnover all the dead skin cells to brighten and smooth the face as it helps repair damage as well. The Sephora website's search engine makes it easy to find what you are looking for in a product. Also, have you ever tried Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair Serum? It definitely has a cult following of all ages across the board. It is a skin pick me up in a little brown bottle. Its hylaronic acid attracts moisture from the air to smooth lines and the caffeine helps to fade dark spots. When my eyes are puffy I put a little underneath to drain them! It truly is a wonderful product that does many things for the skin.

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've been using PERRICONE MD Acyl-Glutathione for many years.

I'm very happy with the results. It did what it said, still using. 

When I look at the reviews that say it doesn't work, I look at the time frame they used the product, especially the AGE group. Although, the 'studies' by PERRICONE MD didn't meet ANY of my expectations in the time frame described.

I didn't notice a difference at six months. A friend who had no idea Ii was using PERRICONE MD
Acyl-Glutathione out of the blue said my skin looked great, glowing. Asked what I was doing.

One year after continuing to use the product as directed, I did notice my "11's" & my deep creases down both sides of my mouth were softer. The right side, a lot more improvement than the driver's side (left).

My opinion is that the studies are always over rated so I understand why people give up on skincare products.

At my age, I pretty much understand my skin cell turnover rate. That's why I'll stick with a product unless it causes a negative reaction. 

Today, my "11's" that were visible even without facial expression are not visible. If I squeeze my eyebrows together, I can force "11's" to appear.

Creases that started above both nostrils, past down my lips, the left side, very deep crease or crevice.: The  right side is gone. The left side, I see when I look very closely in the mirror, a very fine line about 1.5 inch, maybe less, by my lips.

I think I started using PERRICONE MD Acyl-Glutathione 2008-2009. I don't remember the exact date. 

I use it on my face & neck morning & night, one jar for face/neck 2x a day lasts a bit beyond my next order.  I'm on every-other-month auto-ship. ( I had to edit this part because the first one sounded like I used an entire jar in one use)

I started buying auto-ship every-other-month after the first year when I decided to continue with PERRICONE MD Acyl-Glutathione.

P.S. I'm not in any way affiliated or have personal financial interest/revenue with PERRICONE MD corporation. I wish I did!

NYStephA

(0) Hearts

I agree with ShelleeB that Perricone is a good line.  There are lots of very good brands out there, so it's important to be educated about ingredients to see which products will actually be effective in changing your skin.  In my experience, I have had the best results using the Airelle line.  Their serum is the best I've ever used and their eye and lip treatment is amazing.  I actually use their entire line, and my skin has improved incredibly since I've been using their routine.  It's not cheap, but to me, it's been worth every penny!

ShelleeB

I recently started the Perricone line and am extremely pleased.  High Potency Face Lift and the High Potency Extreme night repair.  I am also using the Acyl-Glutathione Eye Lid Serum, after I cover everything with the Face Finishing Moisturizer to seal in the serums.  It has been a couple of weeks and I am seeing a difference.  It took the first week for my skin to adjust to using new products.  It is expensive but it works so I feel like it is worth it.  just don't tell my husband how much it costs :smileywink:

saw4dgibson

I am an avid  AmorePacific Fan and user. The entire line does what it says and is good for any skin type. The name might not be framiliar to many but the products are amazing and you will never be let down. Thee best thing with Amore is a little goes a long way and the bottles and jars last forever. Thee BEST skin care line out!!.......Use the Enzyme Peel to help with the lines, also they have an amazing Line Modifier w Retinol that is a miracle. Those two items should help quite a bit 

saw4dgibson

(0) Hearts

I am an avid  AmorePacific Fan and user. The entire line does what it says and is good for any skin type. The name might not be framiliar to many but the products are amazing and you will never be let down. Thee best thing with Amore is a little goes a long way and the bottles and jars last forever. Thee BEST skin care line out!!

beautylovingirl

Dr. Perricone's line or Dr. Murad's line has very good anti aging products also the Algenist line is for anti -aging as well. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • thecaramelapple
    • laosjo
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • saw4dgibson
    • NYStephA