cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

retinol newbie

Hi!

I've never tried retinol but with my uneven skin tone and post acne marks around my hairline, I think it's time. I also spent too much of my twenties skipping sunscreen, determined to prove that my fair skin could tan. It didn't, and that mistake is starting to show. 

I plan on trying philosophy's help me but am open to others (I see lots of recommendations for Peter Thomas Roth and Dr. Dennis Gross.)

I understand the importance of following retinol with moisturizer, but I'm unsure of which one. I've started using philosophy's hope in jar night which contains glycolic acid. I'm concerned this combination might be too much but also don't want to use something comedogenic as my skin is dry yet prone to breakouts.

If it helps, I use First Aid Beauty face wash usually twice a day followed by renewed hope in a jar and BB cream with spf (am) and hope in a jar night (pm) as mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. All suggestions welcome and appreciated! 

Re: retinol newbie

• If you're using retinol and looking for a can that help you deal with all the peeling, redness and irritation I'll absolutely absolutely recommend one cream from avene, this cream is specific to use with acne treatments (retin-a), also always always use sunscreen, reaply every 3 hours, sun and retin-a  can be really toxic and dangerous for your skin. I'm planning on definitely use retin-a in winter and stop using it in spring, this is its going a be difficult because it's not easy to quit using the only treatment that really can change the appearance of the skin. But I'll try. Well I'll let you a pic of the avene cream. Also the only sunscreen they my skin likes when using retinol is the clarins 50 spf. IMG_3057.PNG

Thanks for the recommendations! I like that the Avene is specifically formulated for retinol and will look for it.

Hi lolo16,

I agree with everything @k617 said, amazing advice! The one thing I'd add is to make sure you're using a high level of SPF (at least SPF 30) every day while using a retinoid product at night. I know you mentioned that your BB cream contains an SPF, but this may not be adequate, as we often don't apply enough of BB creams to get the full level of protection. If you'd like some recommendations, please let us know!

-Stephanie

I hadn't thought of that regarding BB cream. Is a moisturizer with SPF enough or do you advise an SPF in addition to moisturizer? Thank you!

Hi @lolo16, whatever you choose, make sure you introduce it into your routine slowly. Do a patch test before applying all over to see if you react negatively to the product. Retinol isn't for everyone, although it can work wonders for others!

I would start with only once or twice a week, and work up to every night if needed. I'm on my second round of using retinol (used for a few months in 2015 then stopped) and I was able to do every other day immediately. How long it'll take for your skin to tolerate it will depend on your skin condition, the retinol product you're using, and the products you're using with it. If you start to notice flaking, redness, dryness, etc., back up your frequency a bit until your skin returns to normal.

Once your skin gets used to it, you may be able to use a glycolic acid moisturizer (such as the one you're using) and retinol on the same day. Before you get there, though, I would not use the glycolic acid moisturizer the same night you use retinol. For example, my skin is currently able to tolerate a glycolic acid and retinol on the same night, although I don't do this every night. I also use a betahydroxy acid in the AM every day.

I don't have a specific moisturizer recommendation (there are too many out there) but here are the retinol products I have tried and liked:

- Peter Thomas Roth Pro Retinoid 3% (retinoid is supposed to be gentler than retinol but I'm not sure how a 3% concentration compares the strength of a regular retinol)

- Peter Thomas Roth PM Infusion 1.5%

- Paula's Choice Clinical Retinol Treatment 1%

- Paula's Choice Balancing Antioxidant serum (retinol % unknown, this was the product that I used initially and my skin does really well on it)

I also have a sample of the Dr Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol serum but have not tried it yet.

Although you can't get it at Sephora, my personal fav out of the above (taking into account effectiveness and price) is the Paula's Choice 1%. Then my next pick is the PTR Retinoid 3%.

Alternatively, have you considered trying Sunday Riley Luna? It contains a retinol ester which is also supposed to be more gentle than straight up retinol. The plus of this is it's in an oil, so you get retinol+moisture in one. I have used this and it's OK but I get better results with actual retinol products. If you're concerned about applying an oil to your face (personally, I have about 10 difference face oils currently on rotation), you can always try to obtain a sample first?

Thanks for all the great advice! 

I spoke with an aesthetician at philosophy and she agreed that the glycolic would be too much and cause over exfoliation. 

PTR and Paula's Choice were the other ones I was considering based on the beautypedia reviews, especially the 1% (I believe Paula's Choice owns beautypedia, but it still seemed like one of the better, gentler options).

I also considered Sunday Riley Luna, but it has a poor review based on containing potentially irritating plant oils. Maybe it depends on the individual though, and I'm not afraid of oils as I've used argan regularly without a problem.

Decisions!

Anonymous Insider

lolo16 wrote:

Thanks for all the great advice! 

I spoke with an aesthetician at philosophy and she agreed that the glycolic would be too much and cause over exfoliation. 

PTR and Paula's Choice were the other ones I was considering based on the beautypedia reviews, especially the 1% (I believe Paula's Choice owns beautypedia, but it still seemed like one of the better, gentler options).

I also considered Sunday Riley Luna, but it has a poor review based on containing potentially irritating plant oils. Maybe it depends on the individual though, and I'm not afraid of oils as I've used argan regularly without a problem.

Decisions!

Luna oil is amazing. But I'm African-American so I don't have much in terms of lines and wrinkles 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • IMG_3057.PNG
testing