Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Why is Drunk Elephant not working for me?

So I recently switched from Murad anti-aging/anti-acne treatment (wash, treatment, moisturizer) which I had been using for over a year, to Drunk Elephant.  Went all-in on the glycolic, merula oil at night, vit C in the AM.  And my pores starting getting clogged/blackheads showing up again, started getting breakouts

I'd go back to the Murad but didn't feel it was treating my increasing fine lines and dark spots.

Advice on a better combination of items?  If I do nothing, I break out.

J

Re: Why is Drunk Elephant not working for me?

Drunk Elephant seems like a crappy line.  They add all sorts of unnecessary stuff to their products and don't have a way of testing them to determine true efficacy.  I called once to ask questions and every response was "Oh, it's proprietary, so we can't share that information".  They can't share HOW they test the efficacy, absorption rate, and stabilization of their product?  PLEASE!

If you want a good skin care line, backed by science.... that some mother didn't start in her spare time, try SkinCeuticals.

The C-Firma makes me break out like crazy.  Sad because I picked it up during the sale.  I have to return it.  I've tried it twice while not changing anything else about my makeup/skincare routine.  Any recommendations on what to try instead?  Caudalie?  Sunday Riley CEO?

Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm back to the old Murad with the glycolic at night thrown in and all is good. You guys are the best. 

Spot treat!  Especially with  moisturizers/oils and harsher ingredients like exfoliants!  

I've had decent results with the day and night serums, but the marula oil definitely broke me out.  I'd start by just using the night serum maybe every other night and go from there - if your skin seems to be reacting good to that, add in the vitamin c day serum etc.

@jrmint Thought id chime in! I also dove right into the DE products and had poor results- both the glycolic acid AND c firma irritated my skin, and the marula oil didnt work well either as I kept getting zits.  I tried it for 3.5 weeks and finally realized that only the cleansing bars, lala cream and the hydration gel work well for me.  The line is great, but it definitely doesnt work for everyone! 

Hi @jrmint,

I definitely agree with @Mochapj. Introducing a ton of new products into your skincare routine at once can really throw your skin off! I recently tried a few too many different samples in too little time and my skin was like, woah there! Haha. 

Products can work differently for everybody's skin and sometimes even the most popular products don't work out for you. I've had a few that are like that. 😞 It does give you the chance to find something else that is not as popular and you can spread the good news. 😉 

XOXO,
Marieke

Jrmint did you switch to using all of the DE products at once?

When testing new skincare, it's always best to incorporate one new item at a time.

I'd recommend to stop using all of them, and then reintroduce the DE products individually.  This will help you to pinpoint which is giving you problems.

That said, you could be having a reaction to marula oil, which is in a lot of DE products.  Have you used anything with marula oil before?

Great point.  I actually went back and started using the Murad face wash with the glycolic serum at night, and the C/moisturizer in the morning, and it seems to be working better.  

I never used marula before.  I wonder if that could be it? Maybe it clogs my pores? Maybe I still need something with salicylic acid?

I will start over! But any advice on what else to try?

Jrmint, from personal experience I've found marula too clogging for my pores, but everyone is different.

Is the only thing you're trying to address the fine lines and dark spots?  How old are you?

Perhaps could you jot down what a typical day's routine of products is (including in which order/how often used) and then I can try and assist further.

Thank you so much! Sorry for the delay. I'm sure it's the marula...

I use Murad anti-aging acne wash twice a day.  I've been trying out the DE C serum In the morning.  Other than that I only use a Nars tinted moisturizer and blush.  

At night, I use the wash, then the matching anti-aging acne treatment from Murad, followed by the same line moisturizer and laser focus eye cream by Clinique.  I've tried the philosophy retinol before but haven't used recently. That's it.

I'm starting to see fine lines by my eyes and dark spots on my cheeks so wanted to make sure I was doing more.

But once I stopped the maurla even a few days ago, and started back the Murad face wash, I've seen my pores clear up a bit.

Would love your thoughts when you get a chance.  Thanks. 

Other than the Baby Facial, I personally think DE is overrated.  I got better results with Lancer's gycolic formula, which is about half the price given the size ($85 for 1.7 oz v. $90 for 1 oz).  I prefer Sunday Riley's line.  There are different oils for different skin needs, and the lactic acid formula (Good Genes) has worked really well for me.

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing