DDinsider

What makes serums so special?

Why should I use a serum? What is the difference between a serum, moisturizer, and other treatment products? Thanks for the help!

cheeky76

Re: What makes serums so special?

(0) Hearts

In my opinion, serum is the ONE thing you should really invest in for your skincare routine. Even if you do not need a "treatment," serum will hydrate more deeply than a moisturizer.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I use serum as an extra treatment. Ingredients in cleansers, toners & moisturizers aren't always strong enough if you're trying to target a specific concern. 

In the morning I use a Vitamin C serum (the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum) to help fade discoloration & fight off free radicals after I wash my face, before I put on moisturizer/SPF

At night I use a retinol serum to help with breakouts & increase cell turnover (exfoliation because I have milia), a retuxturizing serum or a treatment pad. 

It's all personal preference and concerns. There are many serums out there, so if you do decide to use one, make sure it's appropriate for your skin concerns. 

lylysa

Serums are a form of treatment used as an inbetween step from your cleanser/toner and moisturizer. Serums contain a higher percentage of active ingredients utilized to target more case specific issues ranging from excessive dryness, oil balancing, enlarged or clogged pores, fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, sensitivities, loss of elasticity or firmness, and much more.

In relativity to skin care, cleansers are the typical starting point of any regimen and helps to remove surface oils to ensure skin is void of build up so your skin care products can absorb and take effect better. 

Toners are a selective added step to regimens, not all regimens require toners, most aim to be an additional step to cleansing and are great to refresh skin or even ensure sebum and oils are balanced on skin.

Serums are traditionally formulated as thin or liquid-like gels. They are formulated to absorb quickly into skin, allowing for easy delivery of active and potent ingredients, they often contain higher percentages of active ingredients too. This is why they're better suited to treat targetted issues. Serums fall into the umbrella of treatments, other treatments range in facial oils or even ones formulated like lotions or creams but are meant for specific areas of the face. Eye creams are a specific treatment that can be used alongside serums. It's important not to overload skin, no need to use a slew or boat load of serums, look for multitasking formulas that address your needs and concerns. It's not uncommon to use a few, even swapping some with every other day use, but again, there's no need to slather on 5 serums at once.

Moisturizers are you final step. They range in texture and formulations from gels, fluids, lotions, to thick creams. Their main goal and function is to hydrate and restore moisture balance to skin, though most moisturizers tote multiple benefits from firming to softening lines, it's still preferred to get optimal results from treatments and serums. Moisturizers cater to an assortment of skin types, from extra hydrating for dry skin, mattifying and oil control for oily skin, soothing formulas for redness or sensitivity, oil free to avoid clogging pores, and having SPF for day protection from UV rays.

From there skin care branches into more zones from exfoliators, peels, masks, and more, but these are used as supplemental steps in a regimen moreso than daily use due to how potent they are and how they actively work skin.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • cheeky76
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • DDinsider