Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Vitamin C Powder

Hi there, what are good Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) powders on the market that can be added to your serum or moisturizer.  Thanks

Re: Vitamin C Powder

@kiwigal Just read a review on Versed Skincare's Vitamin C Powder and instantly remembered this post!  Beautypedia gave it 4/5 stars.  It's called Found the Light Powder with Vitamin C.  Here's the review:

Spoiler

Versed’s Found the Light Powder with Vitamin C is a good way to add vitamin C to your skin care routine, provided you’re willing to take an extra step involving a little mixology.

Wisely, Versed avoided a misstep we’ve seen in similar products; namely this fragrance-free vitamin C powder doesn’t come in a jar. Instead, it’s in an opaque plastic bottle with a twist-off top, and a small hole so you can sift it out (which works well – it doesn’t dispense too much product, and it’s easy to control how much you want to use).

The powder itself is lightweight and silky (its base is tapioca starch and aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, a powdery cosmetic thickening agent). It mixes well into moisturizers and serums without drastically altering their textures. Aside from those base ingredients, this contains vitamin C… and that’s about it. It’s a good amount of a form of vitamin C known as 3-O ethyl ascorbic acid, meaning you will see brightening benefits and of course, it has antioxidant benefits as well.

Is this a necessary addition to your skin care routine? There are many good vitamin C serums on the market that offer this star ingredient along with a host of additional beneficial ingredients. However, if you’re happy with your current skin care routine and just want to add a little more vitamin C to it, then this might be the product for you.

PROS:
  • Lightweight, silky powder mixes seamlessly into other skin care products.
  • Contains a good amount of skin-brightening, antioxidant vitamin C.
  • Packaged to protect its star ingredient.
  • Fragrance free.
CONS:
  • One-note formula would be more impressive with additional beneficial ingredients.

Wow, thanks so much.  I have The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23%.  I'm looking forward to trying the others when they come out, good to know.  The True Botanicals Vitamin C Booster with Ferulic Acid also looks like it may be a good one but it's not $6 like The Ordinary! 🙂

@kiwigal It's crazy how much skincare items can cost!  

@kiwigal Allure just posted an article about The Ordinary's 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder...

http://www.allure.com/story/deciem-the-ordinary-new-vitamin-c-serums

I've tried the Philosophy vitamin C powder and enjoyed it. You should mix half pea size to your serum/moisturizer before application then apply it. It does make a positive difference on my skin the way vitamin C serums do.

I see you asked about the concentration, I don't know. However, how effective vitamin C is depends not only on the concentration but also the formulation that helps it absorb better, or reduces possible irritation, or stabilizes it so it won't lose effectiveness/oxidizes as soon as it exposes to air. If you are obsessed/must know the concentration, Ole Henriksen's Power Bright peel has 25% vitamin C for one of the steps, and Perricone has a 15% vitamin C treatment (in set of white tubes, not the serum) the others I've seen are usually 5% or so.

Anonymous Insider

Philosophy has a Vit C powder. Used it for years and it dissolves pretty well in most serums and moisturizers. I've even put in in my foundation.

Thanks!  🙂

I have heard great reviews and results with this:

(I've included the ingredients & a reviewer's breakdown of the ingredients as well)

IMG_9698.PNG

IMG_9698.PNG

Perfect, thanks so much.  I was wondering what the concentration of this was when mixed.  🙂

Agree.  Philosophy Booster C is the best.  You can mix it with your existing products.  The bottle lasts for a long time and therefore I think it is very cost effective. 

kiwigal wrote:

Perfect, thanks so much.  I was wondering what the concentration of this was when mixed.  🙂

This isn't a powder to be added to serum/moisturizer but to cleanse with: http://www.sephora.com/fresh-pressed-renewing-powder-cleanser-P417323?skuId=1898782&icid2=products%2...

Also there's the booster that can be added: http://www.sephora.com/fresh-pressed-daily-booster-with-pure-vitamin-c-10-P416824?skuId=1898774&icid...

I haven't tried these so I can't speak to how well they work. 

Cheers for that 🙂

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos2
  • IMG_9698.PNG
  • IMG_9698.PNG
testing