Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
Anonymous Insider

Tips to look more younger?

Hey!! I'm 53 years old and my face looks more tired. Also, there are wrinkles on my face. I hate to see myself in the mirror.
I have researched about the wrinkles and saw that working out on the face, sleeping the wrong way and putting on makeup are the main causes of wrinkles. It's too late for me to change my habits. One of my friends suggested undergoing botox cosmetic treatment from a clinic in Barrie ( http://www.lakeviewsurgery.com/cosmetic-non-surgical/botox/ ). Any thoughts? I have heard mixed reviews regarding this procedure. Has anyone here undergone this procedure? I very much want to enhance my facial appearance. Is there any good product that helps to enhance the appearance? Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: Tips to look more younger?

@Anonymous

I'm getting ready to turn 50 and have been working with a dermatologist on making my skin look it's best.  She prescribed Tretinoin which I've been using for about a year and I also practice a good skin routine:  cleansing, moisturizer, sunblock, drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated etc.  I'm going for a consultation for Botox in the near future.  If you are interested there is an excellent thread regarding plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Let-s-Talk-about-Plastic-Surgery-Fillers-Botox-Dermatology-quot/m-p/2791724#M257172

Hi @Anonymous,

yes there are things that can help in enhancing your appearance and it is never too late to adopt good habits 😉

Taking care of your skin involves knowledge and experience. Knowing what looks best on you can change everything: your hair cut, your hair color, your makeup technique, the way you shape your brows can make you look younger. Trying new products and seeing how your skin responds to them makes you understand what works best for you.

Good habits, such as cleanliness (sleeping on a clean pillow case, washing your brushes and sponges frequently, removing all traces of makeup before sleeping) has an impact on the look of wrinkles and pores, as well as face yoga has an impact on toning your facial muscles. Clean eating, good quality sleep, not smoking and drinking is key. 

Makeup generally is not good for your skin, but you can reduce its consequences by using good quality products, by taking care of the way you store them (in a dry and cool place), by cleansing your skin properly afterwards and treating it with care in between applications. Opting for a brightening makeup can make you look younger (check out Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder) as well as concealing the typical darker areas of the face (undereye and sides of the mouth) and using a dewy highlighter. You can also focus on how to make your eyes appear larger and more opened.

Personally I think botox is not a solution to looking younger in any case as it erases the features; besides, the treated areas will make the not injected areas stand out more.

Hope this helps.

Eleonora.

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for the reply!!

I usually used to sleep on a clean pillow case as I have read it in a blog and also used to clean my face before sleeping. I don't do any facial exercise as I have heard that it might cause wrinkles. I'm sorry to say this. But I think what I have heard it wrong. I will definitely give it a try. Can you recommend some good facial moves that might help me?   

Well, whether we like it or not, we're all on the way to wrinkles.  Our skin WILL lose elasticity and collagen, and habits and wear WILL etch themselves on our faces.  We can, however, make some changes to make that process go more gracefully.

First, especially if "tired"-ness is your primary concern with your skin, you could probably treat that with skincare products.  Invest in a serum and/or moisturizer with retinol, vitamin c, and/or hyaluronic acid, which combined should improve collagen production, preserve moisture and plump skin.  And don't neglect your neck, since this is the place where most women show their age first and most.  While these products won't entirely "fix" your wrinkles, they will most definitely improve the skin texture, brightness, and slow further signs of aging.

Also, I wouldn't neglect your diet either.  Make sure you're getting plenty of vitamins (and, in particular, antioxidants) not just for your health overall, but to replenish your skin from within.

Next, I would potentially reconsider your selection of makeup.  While it's unreasonable to replace your entire collection in one go, and it's possible that what you currently use is perfectly fine, but it's also true that some face products are more likely to "age" the face than others.  Heavy foundations, particularly heavy matte foundations, may provide better coverage but they also tend to settle into lines and exaggerate texture problems.  If you don't already use one, consider a switch to a water-based, "luminous" or "illuminating", medium-coverage foundation.  Test a few out, but in my opinion, these foundations will look lighter and more youthful on the skin.

As for botox: No doubt, botox treatments work for what they're designed to do.  They will relax and "freeze" (to varying degrees) the muscles that articulate wrinkles.  This tends to be most effective on the forehead and on the outside of the eye socket.  It will not erase your lines, and it will not help sagging or loose skin.  It also wears off after 6-10 months, so it's not permanent, meaning you can try it without fear that you'll be forever stuck with your results.  That also means that you would need to return for treatments to maintain the effect.  The only thing I would definitely advise:  (1) Do your research on your chosen clinic.  Make sure they're reputable and responsible.  And (2) make an appointment for a consultation, so they can advise you on whether or not the treatment will achieve what you're looking for, before you make your decision.

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for the advice!!

I have done a small research on the clinic suggested by my friend. Since I haven't made my decision regarding this, I haven't checked with his previous patients. Before making my final decision I will definitely look deep into it.   

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing