Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Smooth Lines Before My Wedding?

Hi! I'm recently engaged and need some advice for the best, most effective product for eliminating those ugly lines/wrinkles on my forehead before engagement photos and wedding photos. 

Of course I'll be drinking more water, but I need a product that will really take those fine lines off my forehead. I'm willing to spend up to $150 for a product that is a proven gamechanger and will have lasting results if I use now through my December 2017 wedding. I'd like some improvement for engagement photos in 3 months, ideally. 

Being very honest- I have average skin with some pores I wouldn't mind shrinking, but no acne or crazy oily/dryness. I'm really bad about skincare, but I'm trying to be good about using my Chanel foaming milk cleanser, Chanel line repair serum, and I don't have any moisturizer I love that I've found. 

HELP!

Re: Smooth Lines Before My Wedding?

Hi @Capstone86,

I think @lylysa has some great recommendations so I'm just going to chime in a little about helping with fine lines and wrinkles on the forehead! 

These are often the hardest to lessen or make disappear as they are the deepest. I used Dermarche Labs FULLFILL™ Hyaluronic Acid Topical Wrinkle Filler and I found that this really helped me with lines around my face! I know I'm young so I don't have as much but I do have really deep smile lines since I laugh a lot and this really helped them go away! My foundation used to get stuck there all the time but now it doesn't unless I'm extra happy that day. (; 

Dr. Brandt Skincare Needles No More™ is great relaxing the lines in the upper area of your face like your forehead and eye area. It's created with an exclusive tri-blend wrinkle smoother to provide quick and long lasting results! 

XOXO,
Marieke

Wow I'm learning sooo much! 

I 100% have been noticing my Sebaceous Filaments. I'll have a real blackhead every once in a while, but I had no idea what SF were until now. Does that change your thoughts on the product I should be using? I've had my Chanel products for over a year and although they smell great and my face feels soft after applying each, I'm definitely open to moving on to something that will fit my skin needs more. 

The thing that's kept me from cleansing as much as I should is a terrible excuse, but I seriously get everything in my bathroom, clothes included, soaking wet when attempting to wash my face in the sink. I'm thinking about getting a basic Clarisonic for a thorough cleaning tool that will help eliminate whatever I"m doing weird with hands and a washcloth. My old roommate absolutely loves hers and the thought of keeping it next to items like my toothbrush and mouthwash make me think I'll use it as any other morning/night tool. 

A cleanser/makeup remover combo sounds perfect for me! The chanel cleansing milk has been a great remover for stubborn eye makeup, without drying my skin out like  remover wipes feel like they do. Again, if a cleanser/makeup remover combo is easy on eyes and isn't drying, I'm interested!

The Facial Radiance Pads could be a great idea to mix in with a firming serum. I'll definitely be looking into that. I'd been reading about the Dr. Dennis Gross ferulic + retinol wrinkle recovery peel pads and wonder if they are similar...

I'm going to go with your advice on putting my sun protection into my moisturizer. I don't like thick creams, and also have found some oils to leave a film feeling all over my face. I think I need a moisturizer that absorbs quickly and leaves my face soft and light with no greasy residue. I want to be able to apply my makeup fairly quickly after moisturizing. I also don't like tub containers, as I always use too much and feel like the cream is contaminated. The little spoon applicator provided with tub containers isn't very realistic in my mind when I'm trying to quickly get ready. 

Thanks again SO much!!!

The Chanel products do contain a high amount of fragrance, which may be nice to the senses, but it can also in turn be very drying and harsh. The FAB/Ole products will be much more gentle but do a more direct job for your skin care goals.

If cleansing is a tough step for you because you don't want to make a mess, bring your cleanser with you when you shower at night! If you stick to a sink washing, keep a spare rag or counter towel handy to just wipe up water that may splash around. Change the concept of cleansing too, don't just think of it a begrudging chore that creates a mess, treat yourself to a delicate massage and let it be your segment of "me" time where you can just slow down and work cleanser onto skin for about 45 seconds or more (depending on how longwear your makeup is). The more you actually gently work a cleanser onto skin the better it can break down makeup and build up so you can rinse easily. If you're just touching into skin with a bit of water, instantly rubbing on cleanser, and quickly splashing it away, you're going to be spending more time rubbing and working more product onto skin to get a full cleanse. Keep your faucet running a bit lower too, too much water and you may have the tendency to work quickly and in turn make a mess. Cleansing is vital because any following item applied on clean skin will sink in and take effect that much better.

The FAB Cleansing Milk and Facial Cleanser formulas are both makeup removers/face cleansers, so even on makeup free days, you can still use them.

The DDG pads are like a juiced up version of the FAB pads. While they too have been used daily by some, due to them being more potent than the FAB, I wouldn't recommend starting daily with them. They do offer smaller/trial packs that may be worth investing in if you want to give them a try. You can even alternate between them if your skin doesn't find any issues with them.

Boscia makes some lightweight lotion formulas with SPF for the day time that you may consider. The formulas aren't super complicated or fussy so they'll pair nicely with the Ole serum. Sometimes going for an uncomplicated moisturizer while you're using peels and serums is a good way to go as to not overwhelm skin with too many active/potent ingredients.

Philosophy's Take a Deep Breath Gel Cream SPF 30 is also a refreshing and quick absorbing formula that doesn't feel oily or greasy. This formula oxygenates skin to combat congestion and also helps to firm.

For night, sticking with the same concept of not needing a moisturizer to be too fussy, try CeraVe's PM Facial Moisturizer. It's a lotion/cream consistency but not super rich. It hydrates with glycerin and sodium hyaluronate, restores moisture retention in cellular tissue with ceramides (this allows skin to better utilizing moisturizing components of products), has a good dose of fatty-acid rich alcohols that aren't harsh, and has repairative niacinamide. I personally use their AM SPF 30 formula and this is merely their SPF-free version for night. It's available at many drugstores and doesn't break the bank.

Image result for cerave pm

lylysa, I first have to say that I'm THRILLED you replied! After posting my first question ever, I fell deep into the archives here and found some amazing posts from you from like, 2014! Like everyone mentioned in that specific post, Sephora should totally be paying you!

Also wow.. I was terrible in listing my current products. I googled and the actual cleanser I use (not nearly enough) is-Chanel Mousse Douceur Rinse-Off Foaming Mousse. I've never been consistent with nightly cleansing, but I will say that I usually remove my makeup with Chanel Lait Confort Creamy Cleansing Milk Comfort + Anti-Pollution Face and Eyes. I love that as a makeup remover. I forgot to mention that I use Chanel CC Cream spf 50, but don't love it and need to find a new way to incorporate a morning dose of spf for my sunny Texas days. 

Another note.. maybe I'm wrong and don't have large pores, but I've just been noticing more blackheads? This is something that I'm guessing will resolve with a consistent skincare regimen. 

Now that I cleared up all my original mistakes lol, I should tell you about my current skin situation... I've previously been lazy and solely used my makeup remover before bed. That's embarrassing, but it won't help me to lie! My skin is a bit unique I'd say... I have a significant case of Keratosis Pilaris (KP).This is when Keratin builds up around hair follicles. It's barely present on my face, but have been told that my KP was the reason I've never had acne or facial blemishes. I could literally count the number of facial zits I've had in 30 years on 2 hands. It's a silver lining to another annoying issue. Although it causes my arms and thighs to be dryer, I'd say I have a normal facial complexion. No excessive oil or dryness, but throughout the year it can present a little of either depending on the environment. 

My KP responds very well to products containing urea. Years ago I used Peter Thomas Roth Blemish Buffing Beads for Face and Body and saw great results with no bad effects. As I've gotten older, (I'm 30 now), my KP has calmed down and I haven't felt the need to spend so much $$$ battling the issue.

Sorry for the novel, but if you were really wanting more details, you got them! 🙂 
 What I'd love your help with is

a) The fountain of youth product (that isn't a La Prairie price tag) to take my forehead lines/ heavier line between my brows away....

b) someone to help me with what products, what time (s) of day, what order for the a.m., what order in the p.m., etc because I'm totally having skincare anxiety trying to figure it out on my own.

I will say I'm taking this VERY seriously and will be strict on myself to make this my normal routine for mornings and nights.  Absolutely any and all advice would help and be so very welcomed! 

THANK YOU!!!

I am so flattered, Capstone86! 🙂 It's always a goal of mine to provide beneficial information here so I'm happy that my previous posts and responses to others have provided you with insight and positivity as well!

Thank you for clarifying some of the points made and for providing a host of more information, so let's dive it!

While your regimen prior hasn't been held to, at the very least you weren't going to sleep with your makeup on! So that is a plus!

Are you currently in love with your Chanel cleansers and serum to where you're looking to keep those intact and merely find other items to work alongside with them or are you looking to replace them?

While the Cleansing Milk you're using from them to remove your makeup isn't a terrible formula, like the Foaming Mousse, it's not that stellar of a formula either. If you're a fan of cleansing milks for how gentle they are and how they remove makeup, I would recommend checking into First Aid Beauty's Milk Oil Conditioning Cleanser. In addition to removing makeup and cleansing skin, it's conditioning enough to also be gentle on brows and lashes. 

This formula is mineral oil free (the Chanel one uses a blend of mineral oil, shea butter, and camellia oil) and uses a more enriched blend of sunflower, jojoba, avocado, grapeseed, olive, coconut, and meadowfoam oils. These oils provide the benefits of anti-oxidant protection, hydration, and soothing any inflammation or irritation skin may have while also emulsifying makeup and build up from skin for easy removal. This cleanser does also contain camellia oil, vitamin E, brightening licorice extract, and calming feverfew as well.

While double cleansing isn't required, if you feel more comfortable following up a cleansing milk with a traditional face cleanser, try the FAB Facial Cleanser:

This soap-free formula is void of harsh detergents and surfactants that can strip away natural and healthy oils from skin. Fatty-acid rich stearic acid and fatty alcohol (which isn't drying) is partnered with soothing aloe, moisture binding sodium PCA, anti-oxidant white tea, calming feverfew, brightening licorice, and nourishing allantoin. You'll notice that the FAB line tends to utilize calming, brightening, and anti-oxidant properties quite a bit in their formulas and these are all components that any skin type can benefit from. This formula is creamy and lush without being thick or greasy, it is also an effective makeup remover as well, so depending on your preference you may even find it suitable for skin to just use one of the formulas.

A sure-fire way to address lines or just any textural concern in general is through the use of alpha/beta hydroxy acids. These are chemical exfoliants (which were found in the PTR Buffing Beads, so you may be familiar with their benefits already) which help to break down topical/surface build up so uneven, rough, dry, or weathered areas are smoother, but also penetrates deeper below the surface of the skin to support healthier cellular regeneration. So while you're getting to buff and slough off problematic surface concerns, you're replacing those skin cells with ones that are in better condition than before. AHA/BHA can be found in a host of products from daily serums to weekly peels or masks. Since chemical exfoliation offers dual-phase benefits, be sure you're you're still not overdoing it. You don't want to over exfoliate in hopes of speeding along results and cause skin to become raw and sensitized. If you're not too familiar with how they perform and react on your skin, I would advise starting slow. If you opt into a peel or mask of some sort, try to use it just once or twice a week. Depending on the particular product or formula, you may be able to bump up usage, but always be diligent about keying into how skin feels and looks.

FAB has a set of Facial Radiance Pads that many use daily/nightly, but again, gradually gauge your tolerance and acceptance to the product on a slower basis. Compared to many peel pads on the market, this formula is considerably more gentle, but still very effective. Even prior to the use of alpha hydroxy acids, the pads are saturated with aloe, hydrating glycerin, and cucumber water to be a cushion of calming support. The formula uses glycolic, lactic, and citric acids to help resurface and improve skin's texture and tone. Glycolic acid is often sourced from sugar cane/maple, papapya, pineapple, and pumpkin. Lactic acid is sourced from milk enzymes which also have anti-inflammatory properties, good for blemishes and sensitive skin types. Citric acid can be sourced from various citrus fruits like orange, mandarin, grapefruit, or lemon. In addition to the to the AHAs and soothing components are the use of the standard white tea, licorice, and feverfew in the FAB brand.

FAB is also a line that always puts together incredible packages and kits so you can snag items at stellar prices or give their trial kits a go before committing to full sized products.

The above has a mini cleanser, set of pads, and lip balm, currently on sale for $15.00!

If you're wanting something that can be used daily on a more immediate basis, try Ole Henriksen's Ultimate Lift Firming Serum:

As mentioned below, there are certain components in your Chanel serum that were good such as the use of peptides and sodium hyaluronate, and both can be found in this serum, only the rest of its makeup is much better fortified. Lactic and glycolic acid is used to help target texture and tone while it incorporates arginine and peptides to repair areas of damaged, lacking, or weakened collagen, elastin, and cellular tissue (lines or areas with loss of volume or suppleness). Think of peptides as sinking into those target areas and swelling up to plump skin back up to an even texture, but also serving long-term benefits as well. Vitamin B helps to heal skin and copper also stimulates in the production of collagen in skin. Sodium hyaluronate is a humectant that binds 1000x its own molecular weight in moisture drawn from the atmosphere to provide continuous hydration without feeling heavy or thick on skin, and well hydrated skin is less likely to have textural concerns be shown or noticed.

In terms of how the serum and pads would be used in conjunction with one another, try something like this:

Sunday-Serum

Monday-Serum

Tuesday-Serum

Wednesday-Pad

Thursday-Serum

Friday-Serum

Saturday-Serum

Sunday-Serum

Monday-Pad

Give yourself at least 3-4, or even 3-5 days inbetween the use of the pads to see if from there you can bump it up or keep it as is.

In regards to the matter of pores/blackheads, be sure to determine whether they're genuine blackheads or whether you're just noticing your sebaceous filaments more.

Image result for sebaceous filaments blackheads

Blackheads will appear more prominent and occur when pores/sebaceous filament sites become congested with oil, build up, dead skin, and even makeup and then oxidize (turning black in color). SF are naturally occurring for everyone and are specifically the region of the pore that channels sebum/oil release to along skin's surface. 

Proper and regular exfoliation can help rid skin of surface buildup which in turn can lead to blemishes or blackheads and with the use of components such as vitamin C (found in citric fruits/acid and sometimes incorporated on its own) and other collagen-supporting ingredients (such as the copper peptide mentioned in the above serum), you're able to improve the resiliency of cellular tissue to help improve pore quality and essentially not remain so "stretched out" or "relaxed" appearing. If you find your skin is at the point where oil control becomes a concern, the beta hydroxy acid known as salicylic acid will certainly assist as it regulates oil production and helps to dissolve sebum, making it easier to remove from skin. 

If you do have blackheads that you're looking to be rid of quickly, I would advise visiting a dermatologist or asethetician to perform extractions. Please do not try to extract at home as this can potentially lead to scarring, infection, or further irritation of the skin, this is a matter best left in the hands of a professional.

Now, with cleansing and treatments covered, next is moisturizer. As I mentioned below, there are so many formulas available now that there is no excuse not to moisturize. By chance do you have a preference for lotion, gel, cream, or oil formulas? I know you mentioned using your Chanel CC cream for SPF, but it would be more apt to obtain your sun protection via a moisturizer or sunscreen product versus a cosmetic one. In order to obtain the level of protection marked on a product, the amount you use of a cosmetic item (BB/CC cream, tinted moisturizer, or foundation) often times doesn't come close to what is actually needed, and if you were to use that amount, you may feel like you're layering on too much or wearing a mask of makeup. Moisturizers and sunscreens absorb down to skin better, so you'll be more likely to apply the proper amount or at least closer to it.

Kudos for getting a handle on your KP! I have friends and family that tackle that and it can certainly take time and dedication. 

Also, try to find ways to keep yourself motivated to stick with a skin care regimen. Whether it's through keeping a skin care diary/journal to document items used or what steps you've taken, it can be a great way to track results and changes as they take place. You can also log things like dietary habits, water intake, stress levels, environmental changes, or anything else that may affect your skin. You might even want to keep a cute calendar next to your bathroom mirror or vanity so that when you're going through your skin care steps you're able to check off and see a visual representation of just how well you've been able to stick with things. 🙂

Hello, Capstone86!

Congrats on the upcoming big day! 🙂

Two key points notated from your post will be practicing a more structured regimen to bring results through consistency through products used and also incorporating a moisturizer.

For starters, regardless of what skin care brands or products you use, consistency and having items used in a manner with one another to best guarantee changes and improvements to your skin is vital. You can spend money on a peel or serum that has fab reviews; however, if you don't use them often enough, you won't be able to reap the rewards from them.

The second aspect is moisturizing. While it's tricky sometimes to find a formula feels nice on the skin, plays well with your other skin care products, and delivers the hydration you need, there are so many options on the market that there's no reason to ever not use a moisturizer. Moisturizers serve to deliver and balance hydration levels to skin so its not having to work overtime and overproduce oil to overcompensate for the lack of moisture. Moisturizers also serve as that final barrier to "seal" in and protect skin from the elements, especially after the use of serums or treatments. By leaving skin unmoisturized, it's leaving it vulnerable to the elements and drying out, which puts you back at square one in terms of what good you may be doing for your skin. For the day time, be sure you're moisturizer contains SPF (or layer a thin sunscreen over a non-SPF formula) so that you're giving additional protection from UV rays and environmental aggressors.

In terms of your goals that you've shared, pore size unfortunately is determined by genetics and there is no way to permanently alter their size via over the counter measures. Instead, focus on keeping skin clean, clarified, and well cared for so that pores are not congested and thus appear more refined and diminished to the eye. 

By chance is the Chanel cleanser you're referring to the Foaming Mousse or the Creamy Cleansing Milk? I'm not finding a "Foaming Milk" formula and want to be sure I'm analyzing the proper item in your regimen.

The Ultra Correction Line Repair Serum formulation isn't really striking me as one with a stellar ingredient list. It's list kicks off with drying alcohol, some basic binders/fillers, and fragrance before even getting to some botanical extracts and sodium hyaluronate (a humectant that attracts moisture to the skin from the atmosphere). It's then quickly wrapped up by alternating parabens/preservatives and peptides. While the botanical extracts, sodium hyaluronate, and peptides are great components to have, the fact that what you want to be "active" is so nestled after and inbetween some not-so-attractive components means its benefits may get lost in the mix. There are many other brands that incorporate these ingredients and do so in a more efficient manner.

How often are you washing your face in a day? How would you classify your skin type? Give us a little more insight on your skin and we can see what items to better recommend! 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing