tama1924

Skin care products to prevent aging 25+

[ Edited ]
Im turning 25 soon, and ive always heard that 25+ is when you should start preventing wrinkles and everything else thats comes with it , im looking for preferably a serum as treatment. I do have very sensitive skin , gets red easily , and the odd break out once in a . :-) thanks in advance,
BamaCaliGirl

Re: Skin care products to prevent aging 25+

I always heard 20, so shortly after I turned 20 I started a firm routine. I use LOTS of oil free sunscreen during the day, as well as either rose water as toner or The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Toner. Rose water keeps skin moisturized and the tea tree oil reduces acne. Take vitamins like biotin and prenatal vitamins to keep your skin healthy. At night ALWAYS take your makeup off as early as possible, never leave it on it will age your skin faster. Retinol is great for preventing and treating aging, I suggest neutrogena overnight retinol treatments-you can find them for both sensitive and acne prone skin. Lastly I use a clean mascara wand to brush vitamin e oil on my eyelashes at night. It keeps your eyelashes healthy, helps them grow, and as a great added bonus the oil keeps the sensitive skin around your eyes super moisturized preventing wrinkles.

BamaCaliGirl

(0) Hearts

I also think exfoliating with a face brush like a clarisonic and using philosophy eye hope eye cream is a great idea

thope

(0) Hearts

Great question. I'm very interested in these helpful answers as well.

kjilop24

you actually stop losing the elasticity in your skin after you go through puberty.  Although Caligirl2011 had a great advice I would also recommend daily lotion. And if your willing to go the extra step get a under eye cream. moisturizer will be your best friend

caligirl2011

(0) Hearts

The most important product that I would recommend is sunscreen.  I can't stress it enough.  A lot of products try to erase the damage we've already done but we need to preserve what we've got. I have sensitive skin as well but I think it got worse after I started trying all sorts of sample products on my face.  Use what you need but if your skin is sensitive, stay away from products with perfumes, dyes, and harsh ingredients. 

Ejoanna83

(0) Hearts

I just turned 30 and was also on the quest to find something that would help prepare my skin for what's to come. I was introdcued to the Airelle skin care line and am so happy. I have been using 3 of their products in Airelle skin care line for the past month and have already noticed a difference. My favorite is their, Age Defying Facial Serum with Hyaluronic Acid. You literally feel your face firming as your put it on. My skin texture is smoother and I have not had a break out since I have started using it. It is a bit pricey but worth it! You can only buy online at the Airelle site at this time. Wish Sephora would carry it:smileyhappy:

Urbie

I'm the same age as you, and in my opinion, the BEST product to use as a preventative is a vitamin C serum (Ole H. and Murad both make a great one).  It is a natural collagen booster to help repair aging and prevent wrinkles, and it is less intensive then products with retinol, which you probably should wait on until your 30's.  I use a Vitamin C serum first thing every morning, before moisturizing.  

tama1924

(0) Hearts

U.u sadly my face seems to hate things with vitamin C ., i used the ole henrickson and major bad results 

buzzbee3

(0) Hearts

O gosh! I'm the same way. Can't use anything in Ole Henrickson's brand. My face seems to like Korres and Boscia. Korres anti-aging wild oak serum is amazing!

Urbie

Oh no!  Well, you might try a face peel with glycolic acid or fruit acids.  Origin's Brighter By Nature Brightening Peel is effective without being very harsh.  You can use it 1x a week, or as often as every other day...it'll help exfoliate, prevent breakouts, and prevent the early signs of aging.  Also, we have young enough skin that just using a high SPF everyday should help a lot in terms of prevention.  Good luck!!  I have fairly sensitive skin too- let me know if you find any amazing products!!  

tama1924

(0) Hearts

:-) thanks and i will keep my eye out for products :-) 

NYStephA

I think it is great that you are starting early!  Prevention is key and I wish I had started taking better care of my skin in my 20s.  I think it is very important to also educate yourself about ingredients. It is alarming to learn how many harmful chemicals there are in skincare products.  I've found there are so many fantastic all natural ingredients and products out there it is not worth the health risk.

I agree with Katie that daily use of sunscreen is key.  If you can't afford any other product, just using sunscreen everyday will be your most important line of defense against everything that causes harm to your skin.  Since I'm an all natural product junkie, I love and recommend Solbar sunscreen.  My dermatologist actually recommended it when I asked for an all natural sunscreen and you can get it over the counter at most drug stores. 

I also agree that using antioxidant rich products on your skin is a great way to prevent premature aging of the skin.  I have noticed so much improvement in the texture, appearance and tone of my skin since using an antioxidant rich skin care regiment on my skin.  I really love the Airelle anti-aging skin care products.  They are all natural and have a very unique light consistency that feels amazing and my skin just eats it right up (as opposed to the thick and heavy creams).  It is really great that you are thinking about taking good care of your skin now, because you will never truly be able to turn back the clock!

crose25

(0) Hearts

$64 for a cleanser is ridiculous!! You don't need to spend that much on a cleanser especially when the ingredients are going STRAIGHT down the drain. As long as it cleans your face without stripping it's natural oils, alcohol and fragrance free..it works! You can get cerave at a drugstore for only $12. it's recommended by almost every dermatologist, and it works! 

katie1724

[ Edited ]

My advice has less to do with product suggestions (you've already received some great ones!) -- but generally speaking, rather than any one specific anti-aging specific product, you will do so much more for your skin by wearing sunscreen daily, keeping it hydrated, avoiding smoking, etc. than any one anti-aging product can do for you. It's never too early to start protecting your skin, so if you're not using a daily sunscreen, that is one place to start. I do not rely on moisturizers with sunscreen or makeup with sunscreen -- these are always a bonus, but real sunscreen is more effective (you often don't apply enough of either to get the SPF benefit). Wearing sunglasses is key, too -- lines form from expressions, such as squinting, and wearing sunglasses greatly reduces the need to squint.

An eye cream -- even a mild one, not necessarily a heavy duty anti-aging one -- will keep the delicate skin around your eyes hydrated (there is very little moisture in this area naturally, which is why it is prone to lines, etc.). Clinique All About Eyes (or All About Eyes Rich) is a good one that won't break the bank.

This is all in addition to the serum you were looking for (antioxidants are key!), not instead of, just to clarify :smileyhappy:

It's great that you're thinking of your skin now -- it's so helpful! :smileyhappy:

tama1924

Thank you so much for the advice , and i will also be looking into getting a sunscreen that i can add into my current moisturizer, dermalogica spf booster works for but its expensive,  i dont know another bran that wont make my  face get all red and breakout, my skin doesnt really like most sunscreens 

lylysa

Often times the sensitivities come from whether it's a chemical based sunscreen or a mineral based suncreen.

Though mineral based sunscreens are more natural, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't irritate skin.

Check the ingredient listings and see if it mentions ingredients like titanium dioxide or zinc, meaning a natural source of sunscreen, or if it's avobenzone, it's chemical based.

I believe the Dermalogica one is chemical based if I'm not mistaken, if that's the case, check into either Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid sunscreens or La Roche Posay, which are more expensive than Neutrogena, but the formulas are also more beneficial to skin as they pack skin conditioning ingredients.

tama1924

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts
neutrigena is a no no for me , makes me go all red in the face and never calms down, la roche posay looks pretty good, or maybe aveeno? just to lower the price a tad? O.o now as per routine id go , cleanse, tone, serum. Moisturizer, sunscreen ? Just to clairfy lol
ChicDabbler

Aw bummer, my skin likes Neutrogena but not Aveeno, altho you may be different and Aveeno is know for calming. Have you tried Yes to Carrots? or any of Boots skincare? They are carried in most Targets and online, their Boots no.7 Protect&Perfect line is great for aging prevention. La Roche Posay have great sunscreen. Since you only need a couple drops for facial oil, much less than amount for moisturizer, you can try one of the <$50 oil and it should last you quite a long time.

And yes, you got the routine down. Altho if you want to go hardcore, here's the whole nine yards for skincare if you decide to add some stuff later: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Oily/everyday-face-care/m-p/409385

tama1924

(0) Hearts

Haha, got the routine down pat now i just have to manage to do all of it starting in 2 weeks when i have to be up at 3am and get to work by 4, ahh i do love the race horse industry , :-p

ChicDabbler

say whaaat? 3am is when I sleep! Oh gawd, you do not know the meaning of bad temper unless you see me at 4am.

If your skin is not particularly oily, I just wipe with cold damp towel to wake up then put on a moisturizer SPF and I'm done (as long as I'm diligent about routine the night before) and that saves some time.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 37 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • caligirl2011
    • lylysa
    • crose25
    • ChicDabbler