phoebe56

I am allergic to retinol and need an alternative.

(0) Hearts

Have been using Philosophy Miracle Worker anti aging pads for daily exfoliation but have now developed an allergy to Retinol. It seems to be in everything now. What is a good alternative? I like the pads as an application technique.

wondereye

Re: I am allergic to retinol and need an alternative.

Have you tried korres oak serum?

it works for my sensitive skin

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Definitely an allergy I would stay away from any retinol products all together. You did a good thing by stopping completely.:smileyhappy:

phoebe56

The reason I think it is an allergy and not just sensitivity is that my eyelids are itchy and scaling. I don't even put it there but for sure it is on my hands. Have stopped using it x 5 days and this problem has gone away/.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Yikes, itchy definitely sounds like allergy. Here's all the pads Sephora have, with anti-aging filter on:

http://www.sephora.com/search/search.jsp?keyword=pads&_requestid=741129#!keyword=pads&pageSize=60&de...

I've heard good things about the Peter Thomas Roth, Dr. Gross Alpha/Beta and Bliss That's Incredi-Peel for anti-aging. Good luck!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Both posts from Beautytester and Titian06 are on point, retinol or retinol-based products can tend to make skin a tad sensitized if you're not already used to the ingredient or the potency or if you jump head first or introduce it relatively new in your routine.

Take a look at this thread that helps to break down vitamin A and it's many forms along with some info on alpha and beta hydroxy acids which are mentioned in the products/brands by Beautytester which are also great anti-aging/preventative ingredients and treatments.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Concerns/Can-someone-explain-retinol-retinyl-AHA-amp-BHA/m...

Philosophy uses a retinoid, which is more of a time-release method of retinol, but if you're finding sensitivity, try using it over other night or every third night (if you use it in the day, by all means follow up with SPF, any chemical based exfoliant like retinol or AHA/BHA requires proper follow up with sun care since you're removing dead layers and exposing fresh layers of skin). If your skin is still too sensitized even after cutting down use, try looking into a glycolic based cleanser or pads with vitamin C (Anthony Logistics Glycolic Wash or Philosophy's Miracle Worker AM Pads, which rely on anti-oxidants).

Titian06

Hi, phoebe56!  Retinyl Palmitate is a derivative of Retinol, but it is milder than Retinol.  Most likely your skin has become sensitive to (rather than allergic to) Retinol.  Look for products with retinyl palmitate.  Philosophy has many products with this ingredient.  In fact, this ingredient is in a lot of skin care products.

ChicDabbler

Have you tried reducing the frequency of use? I find that my skin is more easily irritated over the summer, and retinol is one of those things where some people can tolerate daily use and some can only do once or twice weekly, or else risk flaky/tender skin.

If your assumption of allergy to retinol is based on that one product, I suggest reduce usage and don't make such quick judgement yet. If you really are allergic to it......for pads I know there's First Aid Beauty, Peter Thomas Roth, and Origins Brighter by Nature but not sure if they are what you are looking for. Aside from retinol, vitamin C and glycolic acid seems to be the popular alternative right now for anti-aging.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • phoebe56
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl
    • Titian06
    • wondereye