ballerinagrl

HELP! 43 YEAR OLD WITH SEVERE PIGMENTATION ISSUES ON FACE & HAVE TRIED DOZENS OF PRODUCTS

I used to have a few cute freckles on my face, now I have ugly patches of dark pigmentation all over it. I have lived in Dubai and India for the past ten years BUT I wear factor 100 (Bioderma) everyday, and NEVER sunbathe. I try to be outside as little as possible. I have tried Extreme C from Dermalogica, La Prairie White Caviar Sun Spot Correcter Serum, Cream, and Eye Cream, Estee Lauder Re Nutriv Illuminating serum for dark spots, Lancome Dream Tone, Dior (the entire Dior Snow collection) and every product for pigmentation from all the French brands, including Bioderma, Avena, Caudalie etc. I have in the process made the skin around the retched sun spots paler, so they stand out even more! I would be exceedingly grateful for any advice anyone can offer me

ballerinagrl

Re: HELP! 43 YEAR OLD WITH SEVERE PIGMENTATION ISSUES ON FACE & HAVE TRIED DOZENS OF PRODUCTS

(0) Hearts

Thank you all so much for your advice! I will definitely try peels and all products recommended :smileyhappy:

inmm

Re: HELP! 43 YEAR OLD WITH SEVERE PIGMENTATION ISSUES ON FACE & HAVE TRIED DOZENS OF PRODUCTS

The products you listed won't help for severe pigmentation. You need a product with hydroquinone or laser treatments. Hydroquinone is the "gold standard" for pigmentation. However, it's risky because some people actually become worse from it. You could test it on a small spot first and see what happens. There are also concerns about overall health risks such as cancer, but I think in smaller concentrations, it should be okay.

Chemical peels are another option. If you have darker skin, only use the light/superficial chemical peels, not the deeper ones. The deeper ones can make pigmentation even worse. Sephora sells several chemical peel products that are all light peels.

If you have light skin, lasers are probably your best option. There are some lasers that can work on darker skin, but not as many. If you get laser treatments, make sure you go to a reputable and experienced dermatologist, or facial plastic surgeon. When done right, they're very effective, but there are serious risks associated with lasers if they're not done right.

Sometimes dark spots and patches are caused by hormones. It's called melasma, and it's extremely difficult to treat because it comes from the inside :smileysad:

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Hi ballerinagrl!

I recommend trying Ole Henriksen's Power Peel™ Professional Spa Grade Kit. This is a professional-grade microdermabrasion and acid peel treatment. The Lemon Strip flash peel is a 20 percent AHA complex of glycolic, lactic, and fruit acids which supports natural cell turnover, dissolves dead skin cells, and resurfaces while purified algae extract and bio-saccharide soothe and nourish. This will help with the dark spots you are experiencing, but it is still gentle. I recommend using this mask 1 to 2 times a week! 

Best,
Randee
annekevdb

(0) Hearts

Porcelana or similar drug store product with hydroquinone will work. If not a derm can prescribe a higher concentration. If that fails the think about fraxel laser. Hydro quinones has to be used with sunscreen and will increase the sensitivity of your skin while you use it, so you may need to change up your other skin care routines. 

ChicDabbler

I see you've tried a bazillion serums....but not really peels. It usually take at least 4 weeks for products to show effect and 2 month before its significant. Also, do you exfoliate weekly? It will get rid of dead skin cells so the products sink in better.

try look into acids and peels to see which one suit your needs. Otherwise, yes, dermatologist might be your only choice.

kalex

[ Edited ]

If you've tried that many products and used them consistently for several weeks (how long it takes to see results) along with sunscreen, and are still not seeing results, then I suggest going to a dermatologist.  Laser treatments, chemical peels, and/or prescription products from a Derm will likely give you the results you are looking for.  It would seem that over-the-counter products just aren't strong enough for you and you are essentially throwing your money away. Better to cough up the cash all at once and get results than waste $50+ a bottle at a time!

Chickibum

I highly recommend looking in to Obagi Nu-Derm, it's hard but it works

kssweetheart

Have you tried Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector? I've read Sooooo many amazing reviews about it and a friend uses and loves it! If I was in need of a dark spot corrector product, this is what I'd choose. There's also a kit in the sale section, it's Item #1569078, it's the Better, Brighter Skin Set and it includes the Even Better Dark Spot Corrector, Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Lotion Borad Spectrum SPF 20 and Even Better Dark Spot Hand Correcting Hand Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 15 - this might be a good place to start, There is also Even Better Makeup and Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector, should you need something for the eye area. There are a few other kits too, I just searched 'Clinique Even Better Spot' and they popped up

Another good option might be Item #1502277 - Peter Thomas Roth Resurfacing Kit, it seems like a great value and is also supposed to be amazing. You might also want to check out Perricone products (I have a kit from Perricone, but just haven't tried it, don't remember what kit it is) But his products are supposed to be miraculous, you could check out his line and search for threads with reviews of his products. If Cliniuqe didn't work for me, I'd go with Perricone. It's more expensive, don't know if that is an issue or not. But I would highly recommend Perricone, from all of the reviews and articles I've read about this brand. I'm not sure if Kate Somerville has products targeted to your needs, but you should take a quick look, another raved about and loved brand which many people are totally in love with. Finally, you might want to check out Philosophy, I used a number of Philosophy products and am totally impressed with the results I've seen, I've played around with other products but I always come back to Philosophy, it would be worth taking a look at (hate to say this, but QVC has some Awesome sets available that are incredible values, not sure what sets Sephora has, just know that Q has amazing values.

I really hope you are able to find your HG products, I have a lot of confidence in all of the brands I mentioned and they are what I use, and/or what I would use in the future. I think they are some of the best brands on the market and they really have great reputations. Best of luck and try to be patient when trying different products, sometimes it takes a while before you see results, but if you hang in there, you just might find the products of your dreams. Hope you'll come back and let us know what works, or doesn't work, for you. Good Luck and so glad you're not a sunbather and finding a great sunscreen is half the battle. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kalex
    • ChicDabbler
    • kssweetheart
    • annekevdb
    • inmm
    • RandeeBT