Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Fragrance-free anti-aging moisturizer

Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a fragrance-free anti-aging moisturizer for my Mom. She is 71 and has never used a moisturizer because she had oily skin when she was younger and thought a moisturizer would make it worse! I am a loyal Elemis Marine Cream fan but I think the light fragrance would be too much for her. She has super sensitive skin so any moisturizer would have to be absolutely 100% without any scent or irritants. If I can get her to use one product, I will be thrilled. Any suggestions please?

Re: Fragrance-free anti-aging moisturizer

I am 69 years old and I am on Oxygen and I must have fragrance free...What I have used is ....Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream 1.7 love it . 

No moisturizer will be anti-aging that's just simply not how moisturizers work. The only ingredients that will be anti aging is a retinol or retinoid or a bakuchiol serum. Both of which should be applied over a good moisturizer twice a week to start and then more as time goes on. I also have sensitive skin and the only moisturizer that hasn't irritated my skin is the Avene Xeracalm cream. Oh and since your mom has sensitive skin I reccomend just starting on a retin(ol) because its weeker than a perscription retinoid and only apply at night and wear lost of sunscreen with zinc because mineral sunscreens are better than chemical sunscreens for people with sensitive skin. 

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro, or Protini!

Some of the Estee Lauder products are good, particulary DayWear.  I am really loving Belif products right now and so is my mom.  She's 75 and working it!

@jgcgiyifhifkhvwrote:

Hi, I am looking for recommendations for a fragrance-free anti-aging moisturizer for my Mom. She is 71 and has never used a moisturizer because she had oily skin when she was younger and thought a moisturizer would make it worse! I am a loyal Elemis Marine Cream fan but I think the light fragrance would be too much for her. She has super sensitive skin so any moisturizer would have to be absolutely 100% without any scent or irritants. If I can get her to use one product, I will be thrilled. Any suggestions please?

Drunk Elephant La-La Retro is fantastic too!

Anonymous Insider

Hi Jgcgiyifhifkhv, I would also suggest First Aid Beauty. The whole line is irritant-free, fragrance free, and made for sensitive skin. For an anti-aging moisturizer, I would suggest the 5 in 1 Restore Cream:

5 in 1 restore cream.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/5-in-1-restore-cream-P283513?skuId=1332139

or the Dual Repair Face Cream:

Dual Repair Face Cream.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/dual-repair-face-cream-P377268?skuId=1487081

🙂 -Laura

Anonymous Insider

Have you checked out First Aid Beauty?  They're whole line is good for sensitive skin.  

Clinique Repairwear Uplifting moisturizer with SPF 15 might work.  I use Clinique because their entire line is 100% fragrance free.  I tend to use their 3 Step and the Repairwear Laser Focus serum and eye cream.  This is the only line I've never had any reaction to, and I have super sensitive fair skin.

Anonymous Insider

I 100% recommend Airelle Intense Repair Complex.  It is all-natural and fragrance free.  It also has a very light consistency, but provides excellent hydration and makes your skin look and feel amazing!

@ The Clinique line is great if you are looking for fragrance free skincare. All of the skincare items do not have fragrance:)

❤️ Melissa

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for day.  It's for oily skin and it's fragrance free.  I use it on my skin and I have a very oily t-zone.  I was introduced to Clinique by my mom who swears by them.  Also Super Rescue Night Moisturizers for skin type 3-4.  That's a very rich night cream however it feels more like a gel than heavy thick moisturizer.  Again because it's formulated for oily prone skin. 

Just my two cents.  Good luck with your search!

Thank you! I was looking at Clinique but I wasn't sure if it is truly fragrance free. (There is a difference between unscented and truly fragrance free). Sounds like a good one for her to try!

I don't have much experience since my mom's not at that age yet (and is ok with fragrance). Most skincare are fragranced....and most fragrance free ones smells like some kind of chemicals or don't have serious anti-aging power.....

If we are talking about almost scent-less AND anti-aging, Algenist, Peter Thomas Roth, Murad and Clinique are worth looking into. Algenist is expensive and Clinique is the only one that test everything for sensitive skin I think, so I recommend getting samples or kit to try before splurging. I don't think any facial oil have serious anti-aging properties, but Argan oil is almost scent-less so if she found a moisturizer she likes but still have a bit of dry skin, she can rub some of that oil on the dry spot.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Argan oil is a fragrance, so that wouldn't work. 

So she's allergic/sensitive to natural fragrances as well then?

Peter Thomas Roth's Ultimate Creme In a Tube is void of synthetic fragrances, and Boscia is a line designed for sensitive skin that is void of all preservatives (not only parabens) and many synthetic filler ingredients. The Restorative Day/Night cream from Boscia is void of synthetic fragrance as well and targets the signs of aging.

The reason why I'm asking is because items that are marked "fragrance free" doesn't always mean their are void of all fragrances, it can mean they are just void of synthetic or extra/added fragrances. In other words, if a lotion labeled fragrance free has lavender, it might have linger traces of the lavender scent but just not the actual ingredient of "Fragrance/parfum". And with "unscented" products, it can often just mean there's a scent masker added to a product, which you might watch for if your mother's skin is indeed sensitive.

Thank you for the helpful information and your suggestions. My Mom is sensitive to everything. The Boscia product look great (I would use them myself) but I would worry she would be sentitive to some of the botanic ingredients. Peter Thomas looks ok. Perhaps I will try that!

p.s. These days her skin is VERY dry in spots but still oily around her t-zone. 

Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos2
  • 5 in 1 restore cream.jpg
  • Dual Repair Face Cream.jpg
testing