BeautyJunkie325

Adding an AHA/BHA Cleanser & Retinol Cream/Serum to my Skincare Routine

Okay, so last week I went to a local salon to get a facial that I had won during their customer appreciation month & it was fantastic. She used an AHA/BHA cleanser telling me that since I have oily skin I could use a stronger cleanser occasionally to slough off those dead skin cells and oils from your face, as well as a retinol cream. After the facial I couldn't believe how soft my face felt and how it was really glowing.  Honestly in the days after my facial my skin looked and felt better.

So now I want to find an AHA/BHA cleanser to use weekly for a deeper clean and I want to get a retinol cream/serum to use nightly. I've read some of the other posts (I even bookmarked Lylysa's post explaining what the differences were in those products) but I’m really not sure which ones to use. I’ve looked at the following:

Cleansers –
MURAD AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
PTR Glycolic Acid 3 percent Facial Wash

Retinol Treatments –
glow by dr. brandt overnight resurfacing serum
Kate Sommerville Quench Hydrating Face Serum

What are your favorites? What are you using?

clarks18

Re: Adding an AHA/BHA Cleanser & Retinol Cream/Serum to my Skincare Routine

(0) Hearts

Thanks!!

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

Congrats on taking your skincare seriously! I would really research every ingredient in your product to determine what is right for you! 

BeautyJunkie325

clarks18

(0) Hearts

I have been doing some research about these types of products.  Could someone please post the link to lylysa's post?  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!!

deannarp

(0) Hearts

I use PTR anti aging cleansing gel and follow up with 10% glycol ice acid toner every other night. pTR has a great kit with the cleanser and delux samples of some other products. its a great way to try some of the other products and ive found 2 other HG products that way.

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

one last thing should I use a richer moisturizer after the serum?

lylysa

The serum seems to be pretty hydrating/conditioning (shea butter is listed pretty early on, even higher up on the ingredient list than the retinol.

I wouldn't suggest immediately using a richer moisturizer, but if you notice skin feeling dry or tight after some regular use when the serum is a solid part of your regimen, then add in a richer moisturizer. Keep in mind weather will be changing and getting cooler, so maybe a richer moisturizer will do some good, especially if your skin is affected by that.

I would suggest starting on the serum first, just because you'll be able to see results quicker from daily/nightly use (once you build up to it) compared to a wash which you're intending to use 1-2x a week. That and generally you're going to get more bang for your buck in terms of results from treatments/serums anyway, so it'll give you a better and quicker gauge if you need to change things, slow it down, or can speed it up.

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

thanks!  I think I'll start the serum tonight and see how it goes.  I do typically amp up my moisturizer in the fall winter once we kick up the heat in the house.  This morning there was actually inches of snow in parts of NE Ohio, luckily it wasn't snowing at my house. 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

Okay so I got my skin care stuff today.  I got the Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser and the glow by Dr Brandt - I got the set of the day cream and night serum.

Here is my question which should I introduce first into my routine - the cleanser (I plan to use once a week, maybe twice) or the retinol serum (I figure I'd start twice a week and work up from there)?  How long would you wait before introducing the other?

lovelyred139

(0) Hearts

I haven't dipped my toe into retinols yet, but for cleansers I love the Anthony Logistics Glycolic Facial Cleanser.  It's a hefty bottle and a decent price in comparison to similar products on the market.  I had to switch to AHA/BHA cleansers when I developed an ugly allergy to salicylic acid.  I get so many compliments on my skin now, even strangers will sometimes say lovely things. I'd echo the comments about making sure to moisturize aggressively and use SPF with the new regimen, though.  I didn't have dry skin when I started using glycolic cleanser, but I certainly would now if I didn't stay on top of things.

lylysa

I'm a fan of the Murad exfoliating cleanser and the PTR Glycolic wash, not to toss more options and tempt you with more goodies, but PTR's Anti-Aging AHA/BHA cleanser is fantastic as well! If you already have a physical exfoliator, I would say skip the Murad, unless you want to cycle between your regular physical exfoliant and using the Murad one which is physical and chemical.

The PTR AA AHA/BHA cleanser gives you the benefits of the two you're weighing between but without having to add that physical exfoliating factor in (but they do make an exfoliating version for face and body called their Anti-Aging Buffing Beads, which uses gentle microbeads).

And to further tempt you, PTR is having a sale on this awesome kit for $35:

Peter Thomas Roth - 20th Anniversary Kit

The cleanser is a 8.5 oz, and normally just the 8 oz cleanser sells for $35, so you're getting a tad more product plus a bunch of trial sized goodies which include their anti-oxidant rich Camu Camu Serum, Laser Free Resurfacing Eye Cream, Firm X treatment, and an oil-free SPF 30 moisturizer. Check store availability, online seems to be sold out, but I saw some in a store last time I hit up Sephora (just last week).

In regards to the retinol treatments you're debating between, I can weigh in that the KS Quench serum is extremely nourishing and gentle even though it contains retinol. The texture is like a fluid primer (the dimethicone in it lends smoothing and priming-like atributes). I haven't used the Glow serum, but it appears that it may be a touch more weighted than Quench as it does contain shea butter. Some other simple retinol treatments to look into would be Philosophy's Help Me retinol treatment cream (it's a very no fuss approach to retinol) or PTR's PM Retinol Fusion serum which has microencapsulated retinol for more gentled, slow release delivery system and squalane to properly balance skin with moisture.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

Not sure if it was just me, the cleanser stung my eyes. It felt hydrating but later on after 2uses felt drying. 

BeautyJunkie325

I have Clinique's exfoliating cleanser in my shower which I use about once a week. Since it is almost gone, I was checking out the Murad cleanser.

Funny enough, I was checking out the PTR set you mentioned last night and was intrigued by the cleanser.  I may have to pick the PTR set up anyway.  Looks like I may have to make a trip to Sephora this weekend. 

DTalksAll

I like the Murad AHA/BHA because it has little scrubbies in it. I use it a few times a week at night.

Can I add another retinol into the mix? PTR Retinol Fusion PM?

It has some Squalane in it to help minimize the dryness retinol is notorious to bring on. I like the serum texture of it too! I place a few drops in my hand, then smooth it over my face, neck & hands. It's easy to apply and sinks in really quickly. 

upload_309445911139127057.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/retinol-fusion-pm-P251529?skuId=1224781

violalea

(0) Hearts

I got this from the $5 deal. Need to try it. How do you like it?

BeautyJunkie325

Now I'm intrigued by this one.  I may have to try it out.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I had to talk myself out of the kit, because I'm in no ways in NEED of a cleanser, but I am a big fan of the PTR Anti-Aging wash.

It's a killer steal if you're on the market for cleanser/chemical based exfoliant.

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

So none of my local stores have the PTR in stock.  My solution, send my BFF in Houston to pick one up at her local store. She is going to check tomorrow while out shopping. :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

LOL, or you could have just ordered it on-line, or from PTR, or Ulta, or Blue Mercury.... :smileywink: 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I was looking for the 20th anniversary kit - it was sold out on Sephora, PTR and it wasn't available at Utla, or at least I didn't see it online. Locally it was only at a Sephora 2 hrs away, hence sending my bestie to get it and send it to me.  :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • aviscardi
    • lylysa
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • brittany0859
    • lovelyred139