Answer
ultramarine
Marula oil or Nude Progenius for anti-aging benefits???

What oil is better for "anti-aging" - Marula oil, or Nude Progenius? (I'm 37 years old, concerned about expression lines near mouth.) thanks

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 7
lylysa
Answered

After looking into the ingredient listing for both oils, here's a breakdown:

Both products are formulated with a blend of multiple oils that boast similar results and benefits to one another.

The Marula oil does list actual "marula oil" as it's first ingredient, which is derived from the kernels of the marula nut/tree and in this case is cold pressed, meaning it's extraction doesn't rely on heat to withdraw the oil from the kernel itself, meaning the benefits of the oil aren't damaged in any way. Now, the following oils/ingredients in the Marula oil do contain antioxidant properties which will combat free radical and UV damage; however, depending on how sensitive your skin may be, things like red mandarin, orange, cedar, lavender, and rosemary may irritate if your skin deems them too stimulating in the forms utilized. Though these ingredients are more than often associated with positive aspects and benefits, there are instances where irritation or sensitivity can even occur with natural based ingredients.

The Nude Progenius oil relies on a blend of more stable carrier oils to kick things off. Apricot, meadowfoam, sunflower, corn, and sweet almond oil are all very hydrating and less likely to cause irritation as they're often used as base oils for facial oils or even massage/body oils. The further additions of macadamia, soybean, and jojoba oils and extracts further boost it's moisture balancing and maintenance abilities and does offer a more extensive blend/list of oils and extracts compared to Marula.

The common and overall underlying theme with these oils are being rich in essential fatty acids to help restore moisture balance to our lipid barriers in our cells, allowing skin to be better moisturized and thus minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, even helping skin appear and feel softer and more supple as much need moisture is able to be introduced and stay within the skin rather than be quickly depleted.

Facial oils will combat the signs of aging by helping restore moisture balance on the anti-aging front, but if you're looking to plump, firm, or soften lines via other means other than moisture and hydration restoration, try a serum like Kate Somerville's Quench Hydrating Face Serum. It's similar to oils in the aspect that it will help address moisture loss and restoration, but it does tie in other anti-aging ingredients to help long term with cellular regeneration. The serum utilizes glycerides and lipids target moisture balance while the humectant known as sodium hyaluronate binds healthy moisture particles drawn from the atmosphere to help plump and soften lines and retinol to help with long term results and benefits to skin, addressing everything from loss of suppleness, lines, elasticity, and even volume.

swfupload_1782157505052547287.jpg

Another option is Algenist's Concentrated Reconstructing Serum which relies on alguronic acid, peptides, niacinamide, algae extracts, and fruit extracts to target a slew of anti-aging compares. The alguronic acid, peptides, and niacinamide work together to repair and regenerate collagen in skin, helping to firm, plump, and soften lines. Peptides absorb into skin and fill in gaps of damaged collagen and elastin, working quickly to increase volume, allowing for a more instantaneous pay off while algae extracts and fruit extracts offer your dose of vitamins and antioxidants.

swfupload_1662226302658924173.jpg

emmaclaire
Answered
[ Edited ]

I might be the only one, but the Nude ProGenius oil made my skin unhappy - at first it was true love, but after about three days, I developed milia-like irritation on my forehead.  Moral of the story: ask for a sample of both oils and use them for a few days before committing to either!

EDIT: I LOVE marula oil though!  My skin absolutely glows after I use it, though I don't use it expressly for anti-aging properties.

dparker
Answered

Kate Somerville's Dilo Oil is wonderful!

BaByKiTTy214
Answered

Not sure about anti aging benefit but I do prefer Maracuja oil over Nude Progenius. I'm 32 and have the same concern. I've used both as a sample before deciding which one to get. Nude Progenius is too greasy for me. Too thick everytime I put on a few drops and the smell is like cooking oil. As for the maracuja oil, its very lightweight. A few drops does the trick and no weird smell at all. I've noticed the change in my skin after using Maracuja oil. Dryness decrease, very hydrating, absorbs in skin better and it gives me a glow.

tracygirl64
Answered

I have tried marula and I'm not impressed by it. I, also, have the same concerns with my expression lines near my mouth. I just ordered Josie Maran's Pure Argan Milk Intensive Hydrating Treatment. I saw a bunch of before and after photos with their clinical studies AND it has great reviews so far. You might want to also consider giving that product a try as well. :smileyhappy:

westylee
Answered

I'm not quite sure which is better for the anti aging properties (I'm also investigated this topic), they both seem to have excellent ingredients, but for me, the nude oil is way more greasier than the marula oil...the marula soaked into my skin immediately, while the nude oil layed on the surface for long enough to be annoying & greasy feeling. imo

LindenAnn
Answered

Technically the Nude ProGenius is supposed to be anti-aging. I am not familiar with marula oil, but judging by other oils I'd guess it's targeted more to oil control or dryness. The Nude one is the only oil I'm aware of that's specifically advertized as anti-aging.

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 10 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • ultramarine
    • emmaclaire
    • tracygirl64
    • lylysa
    • dparker
    • BaByKiTTy214
    • westylee
    • LindenAnn