Answer
verabean
safe products for pregnancy
(0) Hearts

I have oily and acne prone skin, and to remedy this I have always relied on salycilic acid containing products. Now that I'm pregnant and dealing with hormonal acne on top of the oil, I'm searching for safe, effective products that can save my skin throughout the coming months. Any suggestions? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 4
lylysa
Answered
(0) Hearts

Try Boscia, it's a plant/botanical based line that is preservative free. It's void not just of parabens, but all preservatives, which many people don't know that parabens are just one type of preserative. Boscia uses willowbark, which is a natural form of salicylic acid, so you can still treat acne, but be gentle to your skin.

I'd also recommend Josie Maran's line, it's rich in argan oil, which has so many rejuventating and beneficial properties for so many skin types and concerns.

Though as someone with oily skin you would think to avoid oils, plant based oils are great because they mimick the natural and healthy oils out skin needs rather than synthetic oils that can clog pores. Boscia makes great cleansing oils and JM's argan oil is a star product!

miabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Verabean,

I agree completely that any new products that you incorporate into your skincare routine while pregnant should be cleared with your physician first.  It's a common question that they get, so they can give you a few recs for what is safe and best for you and your little bundle of joy :smileyhappy:  Best of luck and congratulations!!

xo, Mia

poesiasagrada
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Oh... holy sh**... DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WITH SALICYLIC ACID WHILE PREGNANT. That is terrible advice!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: Just because something is natural does not mean it's safe. Before you take product advice, check with your doctor to make sure it's okay. There are also many many online articles that help guide you through learning which common beauty product ingredients to avoid. WebMD is a decent place to start. 

Take a look at the list below and take into account that it is not specifically comprehensive, nor am I an expert. Whatever choice you make please please talk to your doctor first. Best of luck and congratulations.

Never chose products containing the following as they are harmful during pregnancy:

* Salicylic acid!!!!!!!!
* Retinoid
* Lethicin
* Phosphatidylcholine
* Textured vegetable protein
* Tretinoin
* Potassium Thioglycolate
* Calcium Thioglycolate
* Sodium Hydroxide
* Sanguisorba Officinalis Root Extract
* Soy
* Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
* Tazarotene
* Titanium dioxide
* Octocrylene
* Oxybenzone
* Zinc oxide
* Dioxybenzone
* Benzophenone
* Octyl methoxycinnamate
* Para-aminobenzoic acid

kstrat
Answered
(0) Hearts

I know this may sound weird, but honey has antibacterial properties and if you are unable to find safe and effective acne treatments, honey can help! I assume that honey is safe to use while pregnant, but you should do some research.  Also. You could always ask friends who have been pregnant and had the same experiences for advice. 

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 0 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • poesiasagrada
    • kstrat
    • miabt
    • verabean